Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2021, 09:31 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,435,284 times

Advertisements

What we understand is that's it's way overblown.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:44 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
What we understand is that's it's way overblown.
Because it doesn't personally affect you?

And aren't you the poster who's claimed--over and over--that once the former administration was out of office, the coronavirus would "disappear"?

Old 04-17-2021, 11:25 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This state is such a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if some school districts remain DL or Hybrid come fall.

Gavin Newsom can't guarantee California schools will be open in the fall. Why not?

California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Wednesday that he hopes all of California's schools are open for in-person learning in the fall, but stopped short of a guarantee, stating, "Mandates are not as often looked on as favorably as you might think."

Public health experts now say schools can reopen safely for in-person learning with modifications, and while Newsom has come under fire for past mandates to close businesses and require mask-wearing in public, he expressed reticence to mandate a return to in-person learning

Faulconer claiming collective bargaining can just be suspended is laughable and isn't going to help him here. He needs a refresher in labor law. Anyway... The short answer to the question in the headline is simply "because he {Newsom} can't".

Closing the schools in the first place was knee-jerk and ran counter to what CDC was saying at the time. For those who continually claim that the state looked to and diligently followed federal guidance (and thus it's Trump's fault for everything), nothing is more evident that they didn't than the school closures. CDC was not advising it at the time. Newsom's mistake, one of many, was doing so without a clear path in place to reopen them in the future. The decision to do that now rests individually with the thousand or so school district's across the state.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:43 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
It's world turned upside down. I actually agree with Bill on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp3gy_CLXho

Old 04-18-2021, 07:42 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
What Californians need to do is push for private school vouchers rather than push the public schools to re-open. We need to liberate the free market by enabling families who couldn't otherwise afford it to have more choices for better quality education in person.
"Liberate the free market"? What? There is no free market in public education (as there isn't in health care). Private school vouchers serve the wealthy and privileged.

LAUSD unequal reopening: Nearly full classrooms on Westside, emptier elsewhere:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ffer-across-la

Old 04-18-2021, 10:38 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
What Californians need to do is push for private school vouchers rather than push the public schools to re-open. We need to liberate the free market by enabling families who couldn't otherwise afford it to have more choices for better quality education in person.
lol "liberate the free market"? No thanks, I don't want my taxes to pay for some kid to go to an Islamic Madrassa, a Catholic School or an anti-science Evangelical school. I respect the fact that some people might choose those for their children but I do not think that the public should be obligated to pay for them. This has nothing to do with a "free market", but I'm sure you already know that.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:52 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lol "liberate the free market"? No thanks, I don't want my taxes to pay for some kid to go to an Islamic Madrassa, a Catholic School or an anti-science Evangelical school. I respect the fact that some people might choose those for their children but I do not think that the public should be obligated to pay for them. This has nothing to do with a "free market", but I'm sure you already know that.
I agree. Taxpayer money shouldn't be used to pay for things that are a personal choice to others. For me, it's like abortions. I don't mind paying for birth control, just don't ask me to pay for the abortions.

Old 04-18-2021, 03:08 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Why am I even here? But since I previously expressed a little support for vouchers under the circumstances, I'll say that it's too late for the first half of the year and maybe if it could be passed in limited form where vouchers are only available in badly affected counties and only for middle-school students. I hope there's too little virus around later this year and in-school preventative measures too strong to justify that.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:31 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Expert Opinions:

Medical experts in Belleville, Ontario today were asked if it is time to ease the COVID lockdowns.

Allergists were in favor of scratching it, but Dermatologists advised not to make any rash moves.

Gastroenterologists had a sort of a gut feeling about it, but Neurologists thought the government had a lot of nerve.

Obstetricians felt certain everyone was laboring under a misconception, while Ophthalmologists considered the idea short-sighted.

Many Pathologists yelled, "Over my dead body!" while Pediatricians said, "Oh, grow up!"

Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was madness, while Radiologists could see right through it.

Surgeons decided to wash their hands of the whole thing and pharmacists claimed it would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Plastic Surgeons opined that this proposal would "put a whole new face on the matter."

Podiatrists thought it was a step forward, but Urologists were pissed off by the whole idea.

Anesthetists thought the whole idea was a gas, and Cardiologists didn't have the heart to say no.

In the end, the Proctologists won out, leaving the entire decision up to the a--holes in politics.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Liberate the free market"? What? There is no free market in public education (as there isn't in health care). Private school vouchers serve the wealthy and privileged.

LAUSD unequal reopening: Nearly full classrooms on Westside, emptier elsewhere:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ffer-across-la

As of now the wealthy and the privileged (of all races) have the ability to dole out the money to send their kid to a private school of their choice. Vouchers would make the private schools accessible to the less wealthy and privileged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California