Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 04:43 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
It appears the biggest human to human spikes were caused by both members of the Military who travel the world in tight quarters as well as those returning home due to the lockdowns and bringing whatever back from anywhere they went including university students studying overseas or around the country as their schools abruptly shuts down. Also it appears it’s coming in from our goods as well as food supply, think about the South Dakota factory where no one has been exposed to people from overseas and were socially distant except in the factory yet they still got infected. Thus ending tourism would probably do nothing. There was practically no tourism back in the Spanish flu days but troop and supplies movement still brought it worldwide.

Ironcially only a few percentage of cases involved Asian/ Asian Americans. And there are only 27 cases in the city of San Gabriel to date despite almost half the businesses owned by Asian Americans there. Showing that travelers from China/Asia were not the main cause for the mass outbreaks in other parts of the world. Otherwise there would had been thousands of cases involving Asian Americans by now in so called old and new Chinatowns around the US and world.
Appears where? I was just listening to a report on KABC about the immense number of civilians traveling to and from Wuhan and the U.S. Furthermore, there's this:

How Silicon Valley became California’s epicenter of the coronavirus

"The Silicon Valley is packed with travelers, a byproduct of becoming the world’s high-tech capital, home to Apple, Google, Facebook and other companies. Authorities here say the infections probably had multiple origins, and by late February, the virus was spreading through the community."
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...enter-pandemic

I'd put 100x more blame on the H-1B and L1 visa programs than I would the U.S military.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:49 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Not sure how many here got a chance to watch 60 Minutes last night but there was a segment on the technology used to track the virus and show how and where it arrived in the U.S. I noticed that a large concentration of travelers arrived in San Francisco, LA, and New York. Hence the large concentration of cases for those areas.

It's a really good video and the technology is very interesting. If you care to watch, here is the segment that aired last night. (notice the dogs in cages going to slaughter????)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...-intelligence/
Very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:41 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Appears where? I was just listening to a report on KABC about the immense number of civilians traveling to and from Wuhan and the U.S. Furthermore, there's this:

How Silicon Valley became California’s epicenter of the coronavirus

"The Silicon Valley is packed with travelers, a byproduct of becoming the world’s high-tech capital, home to Apple, Google, Facebook and other companies. Authorities here say the infections probably had multiple origins, and by late February, the virus was spreading through the community."
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...enter-pandemic

I'd put 100x more blame on the H-1B and L1 visa programs than I would the U.S military.
Well, as long as lots of blame gets heaped on someone it’ll all work out. Nothing solves a crisis better than a whipping boy ...

Old 04-27-2020, 08:13 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Here’s how scapegoating works these days :

https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/army-r...-patient-zero/

Old 04-27-2020, 08:34 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well, as long as lots of blame gets heaped on someone it’ll all work out. Nothing solves a crisis better than a whipping boy ...
What prevents another crisis is making a correction so the same thing doesn't happen again.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:24 AM

460 posts, read 232,448 times
Regarding these reported extra stroke deaths at home....there was an article today where NYC ER doctor is telling how people are afraid to come to the ER and end up dying at home from strokes, asthma attacks, etc. I wonder if this is really the factor in the extra at-home deaths, and not the COVID infection being actual cause.

On another note, I know people who live in the Midwest and around the East Coast and I'm hearing many and in some places most people in stores still don't wear masks to this date, even in Whole Foods many don't wear them, and don't maintain distancing in stores either. This is so weird. Seems like many people still don't don't believe in COVID (but even those shopping in Whole Foods??)...well seems like natural selection will be taking its course. Just sad that some people feel entitled to spread disease and kill others, in a smug kind of way, "I'm asymptomatic, good for me...bad for you". Even if COVID is just like flu with several times higher death rate and more infectious, don't people want to protect themselves and others from it?

Old 04-28-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Here’s how scapegoating works these days :

https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/army-r...-patient-zero/
Well this is in the lines of blaming China for this, same scapegoating. They want to bill China for coronavirus, huh? What's next, are they going to be billing monkeys, pangolines, snakes, bats.... Anyway, let's say virus got released from the lab in China (most likely it'd be by accident), why do they think they can actually bill China for this?... in this case US needs to be billed for a lot of things, depleted uranium, bombings, may be bill that Connecticut lab for Lyme disease spread, as some claim it came from that lab?... and by the same token a lot of countries can be blamed and billed for all kinds of stuff, chemical pollution, viruses, etc. This is crazy blame game and good luck billing anyone, especially someone as powerful as China, anyway. China has a very big (over)population combined with high population mobility, travel - this is what you're going to get in this kind of situation, periodic spread of epidemics: newsflash...this is the law of nature/biology. Humankind has to just bill itself as a whole.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Not worried too much about smallpox. The fact that California and the nation still have no exit strategy for the forced quarantine and lock down is all that matters.
I was bringing up smallpox as a generic example (and my question about stockpiling vaccines against it was mostly rhetoric)....there're a lot of other bad things that are more infectious than smallpox being experimented upon in the labs. Smallpox, though, is a particularly scary disease, eww....wouldn't want to get hemorrhagic fever or meningoencephalitis either. This thread makes me disease-phobic.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I'm hoping that in the near future, it will be much more difficult to gain entry to this county

Fixed it. From the whole picture it seems like the responsibility for the big spread of it in the US is upon the locals... it might have been brought in from outside (most likely) but the recklessness of people, see my post above about Midwest and East Coast situation, is what allowed it to spread so badly here. And many still don't get it, especially once you move away from coastal cities.

I feel that big corporations such as Walmart, grocery, "dollar", other store chains, Whole Foods are failing to be responsible and are failing to require masks for everyone who enters their stores to this date, unbelievable. I was told dollar stores have cashiers working without masks to this date, and then they wonder why poorer people have bigger spread of disease...

Last edited by landlock; 04-28-2020 at 07:04 AM..

Old 04-28-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Mostly Russian trolls should be banned from web forums. THEN we can chip away at other invaders.
In Russia, electronic pass for essential travel is required to exit the house, in some places and even a taxi won't take anyone without the pass (!) Are you suggesting Russian KGB employees are encouraging Americans not to socially distance and push calls for early reopenings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California