Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 06:55 PM

460 posts, read 232,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well - yes. And no. What is the rate of infection for even ALL those combined ... compared to rate of infection from COVID 19?

I have often commented on how silly many fears are when held in relative comparisons. Such as death by a terrorist act (other than 9/11 - no more than a handful a year on home soil) compared to lung cancer (½ million a year). To make our society’s obsession with terrorism, lung cancer for the majority of cases is a result of lifestyle choice. That said, COVID 19’s effects other than death are still being revealed, it has no treatment, and it has no vaccine while being extremely infectious ... and it is a new, additional threat beyond all the others.

So yeah, I get why it’s a serious challenge to study on.
The thing is rates of infection for these is a very fluid thing, there's no "true" rate.
The rate is low because people are being careful. They don't eat rodents anymore, they use repellents, they know not to grab bats (or die from rabies), avoid various nests which might be infested, like rodent nests, check for ticks.
If one is sitting in the city apartment all the time, they run almost no chance of getting any of these.
But if you live your life to the fullest, out and about in nature, one can run very high risk. Just have to setup a tent near some rodent holes. And who could think that renting expensive tent-cabins in Yosemite Curry Village one was signing up for Hantavirus? Dangers are out there but one can still enjoy nature by being reasonably careful.
There was an article about the guy who'd survived Cryptococcus which he got from chopping wood - he continues to chop wood, but now wears a mask when he does it.

Surf and get eaten by sharks, drive on a highway and die in an accident. And all the prions in deer meat these days... I think that the death rate from unhealthy foods promoted in the last decades, from pesticides and other chemicals, air and water pollution, including of course indirect rates from resulting diseases (and they never officially count those) is a lot higher than any coronavirus rate....
Lung cancer from smoking is a very good example (and apparently now it's from personal care products too, as they emit VOCs). And asbestos is in half of the houses...
Seems like there's a set of socially acceptable self-inflicted deadly diseases, basically.

Last edited by landlock; 04-25-2020 at 07:17 PM..

Old 04-25-2020, 06:55 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
This would explain some of the posts I’ve seen....

Oh Mike is ina house !

Old 04-25-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
I call shenanigans regarding wearing a mask and passing out... normal respirators or masks can be worn all day, such as at work...guy must have been smoking something before wearing it which he didn't want to get tested for. Nice try.
Well yeah ... hence my crack about smoking a blunt. But it does make a fun headline.

To expand on it quickly, I just was hiking and ran near (not into, these days) a friend who is a retired Army pulmonologist. We chatted (at a reasonable distance) for a few minutes. I mentioned this mask story and he called bs too. Says he can and sometimes did wear a mask all day without getting dizzy. We agreed the accident guy had been inhaling something else

Old 04-25-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Come on TM. Think about it. These people are making $4,200/mo on UI until 7/31. Poverty income is what $2,500/mo for a family of 4. Of course, they don’t want to go back to work. Even at the CA UI, it is $1,800/mo. Let’s see what they say 26 weeks from now when that all runs out. Maybe you aren’t aware of what UI and the extra federal $600/mo is until 7/31 since you’re far into retirement, but can’t say I blame them. I wouldn’t want to go back either if roles were reversed.

The economic disaster is and will be much worse. Successful companies have quit paying their bills, They are hurting. This goes far beyond small businesses. It may touch every single company in some way by the time this is done.
What? Did I express an opinion when I posted without commentary? No point intended. Just thought folks would find it interesting. Easy with that trigger finger there TR!

Old 04-25-2020, 07:14 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,463 times
Quote:
What? Did I express an opinion when I posted without commentary? No point intended. Just thought folks would find it interesting. Easy with that trigger finger there TR!
Ok I won’t bash the messenger. But you know some on here will jump all over that and say see the majority want to stay home. Next time I’ll wait to see all those no thought responses. Sorry didn’t mean to call you out on this. My point is Ca should remain home for a while but other states that aren’t impacted much can start to open safely. But, at some point Ca has to start based on the other states’ experience.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:26 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Hard to smoke a blunt that way too
Quote:
Oh Mike is ina house !
You’re one to talk.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:03 PM

460 posts, read 232,448 times
Interesting fact... no one is being a vaccinated against smallpox anymore - and even those who've been vaccinated as children no longer have immunity, as this vaccine is only effective for 3-5 years.
This is while smallpox is being actively used in various military and other labs and its samples are being sent around the world between laboratories.

The last victim of smallpox, Janet Parker, a healthy 40 year old woman, had died from it in England right when they were about to declare smallpox completely eradicated worldwide. She was previously vaccinated against it few years ago, but her vaccination had expired and she'd contracted very virulent smallpox and died from it quickly.

To give an idea about infectiousness of smallpox - despite what they say that it requires close contact with someone or bodily fluids - the official conclusion was that Janet Parker was infected via ventilation duct, the virus traveling by air to the next floor above the lab, getting through the crack in ventilation system. She was a medical photographer working in the same building as the lab that was studying pox viruses, but she was not associated with the lab in any way and worked in separate areas.
There was a study later that claimed that it'd take the virus 20,000 years to reach the room where she was working via the duct from the lab - nevertheless, the original investigation had concluded that it was airborne infection that killed her, because no other explanations had been found.

So, a question...are there enough smallpox vaccines stockpiled? Clearly it was not the case with respirators.
Is there any capacity for bioweapons defense really, at all.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:17 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
So, a question...are there enough smallpox vaccines stockpiled? Clearly it was not the case with respirators.
It looks as if there are enough.

After smallpox was eliminated from the world, routine vaccination against smallpox among the general public was stopped because it was no longer needed. However, because of concern that variola virus might be used as an agent of bioterrorism, the U.S. government has stockpiled enough smallpox vaccine to vaccinate everyone who would need it if a smallpox outbreak were to occur.

https://www.cdc.gov/smallpox/vaccine...ccination.html

Old 04-26-2020, 03:28 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Not worried too much about smallpox. The fact that California and the nation still have no exit strategy for the forced quarantine and lock down is all that matters.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:01 AM

Interesting. New Zealand’s approach of aggressive shut down, aggressive testing, aggressive contact tracing - has resulted in the shut down being lifted (in stages) in just under 2 months. Much harder to achieve in our state of 8x the population and open borders ... but the strategy is revealing.

Quote:
New Zealand Says It Has Won 'Battle' Against COVID-19

April 27, 20203:58 AM ET
SCOTT NEUMAN

New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says that the island nation has defeated — for the present — the coronavirus as her government announced the lifting of most restrictions imposed to halt the spread of COVID-19.

Bloomfield and Ardern said that declaring the virus eliminated did not mean there would be no new cases, but that the numbers would be manageable with the help of aggressive contact tracing, which the prime minister said had been scaled up "significantly" with the capacity to make up to 10,000 calls per day.

Ardern's remarks came as New Zealand, a country of just 5 million people, downgraded its COVID-19 alert to level 3 — meaning most, but not all, businesses are being allowed to reopen.

The prime minister also advised that if people can work from home, they should continue to do so.

New Zealand has garnered praise for largely putting aside politics in order to tackle the outbreak.

... When [Prime Minister Jacinda Arden] imposed stringent stay-home rules in late March, she urged people to 'be strong and be kind.' "

Australia has also seen a precipitous decline in new cases since a peak nearly a month ago.
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ainst-covid-19
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California