Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 09:22 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Interesting. New Zealand’s approach of aggressive shut down, aggressive testing, aggressive contact tracing - has resulted in the shut down being lifted (in stages) in just under 2 months. Much harder to achieve in our state of 8x the population and open borders ... but the strategy is revealing.
Beyond the "aggressive shut down," they defintely took a far more sensible and comprehensive approach with both widespread testing and contact tracing. For the time being, it's paying off.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:48 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-15225947.php

Old 04-27-2020, 12:10 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Interesting. New Zealand’s approach of aggressive shut down, aggressive testing, aggressive contact tracing - has resulted in the shut down being lifted (in stages) in just under 2 months. Much harder to achieve in our state of 8x the population and open borders ... but the strategy is revealing.
That's so very true. I'm hoping that in the near future, it will be much more difficult to gain entry to this country than by simply disembarking an aircraft at an international airport. And all these growth proponents in politics who have been acting at the behest of chambers of commerce need to be replaced with more benevolent leaders.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:32 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
That's so very true. I'm hoping that in the near future, it will be much more difficult to gain entry to this country than by simply disembarking an aircraft at an international airport. And all these growth proponents in politics who have been acting at the behest of chambers of commerce need to be replaced with more benevolent leaders.
So you want to end tourism ?

Old 04-27-2020, 01:09 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
It appears the biggest human to human spikes were caused by both members of the Military who travel the world in tight quarters as well as those returning home due to the lockdowns and bringing whatever back from anywhere they went including university students studying overseas or around the country as their schools abruptly shuts down. Also it appears it’s coming in from our goods as well as food supply, think about the South Dakota factory where no one has been exposed to people from overseas and were socially distant except in the factory yet they still got infected. Thus ending tourism would probably do nothing. There was practically no tourism back in the Spanish flu days but troop and supplies movement still brought it worldwide.

Ironcially only a few percentage of cases involved Asian/ Asian Americans. And there are only 27 cases in the city of San Gabriel to date despite almost half the businesses owned by Asian Americans there. Showing that travelers from China/Asia were not the main cause for the mass outbreaks in other parts of the world. Otherwise there would had been thousands of cases involving Asian Americans by now in so called old and new Chinatowns around the US and world.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 04-27-2020 at 01:30 PM..

Old 04-27-2020, 01:46 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
So you want to end tourism ?
Mostly Russian trolls should be banned from web forums. THEN we can chip away at other invaders.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Beyond the "aggressive shut down," they defintely took a far more sensible and comprehensive approach with both widespread testing and contact tracing. For the time being, it's paying off.
Since the majority of the world, that is not an isolated island, is shambling toward a strategy of "controlled burn" to herd immunity, I wonder what NZ, Taiwan, and Korea will do when they are the only remaining immunologically-naive populations?

Old 04-27-2020, 02:53 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Not sure how many here got a chance to watch 60 Minutes last night but there was a segment on the technology used to track the virus and show how and where it arrived in the U.S. I noticed that a large concentration of travelers arrived in San Francisco, LA, and New York. Hence the large concentration of cases for those areas.

It's a really good video and the technology is very interesting. If you care to watch, here is the segment that aired last night. (notice the dogs in cages going to slaughter????)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...-intelligence/

Old 04-27-2020, 03:49 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Not sure how many here got a chance to watch 60 Minutes last night but there was a segment on the technology used to track the virus and show how and where it arrived in the U.S. I noticed that a large concentration of travelers arrived in San Francisco, LA, and New York. Hence the large concentration of cases for those areas.

It's a really good video and the technology is very interesting. If you care to watch, here is the segment that aired last night. (notice the dogs in cages going to slaughter????)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...-intelligence/
Yes, I watched it and found it interesting. Fortunately, SF started earlier on restrictions designed to slow the spread of the virus then LA & NYC...….hence faired better

Old 04-27-2020, 04:06 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Yes, I watched it and found it interesting. Fortunately, SF started earlier on restrictions designed to slow the spread of the virus then LA & NYC...….hence faired better
Very true. The early action on the part of the governor made a big difference. I recall him saying early on that he was using technology to track the virus. I didn't understand how the program worked until it was detailed last night, though. Really interesting and I think it's going to be very beneficial in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California