Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 03:02 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Consider this your public service address on the way you can avoid contracting the virus. It's very simple and if you don't want to watch the entire video, simply skip ahead six minutes and maybe 30 or 45 seconds. Dr. Price works at Weill Cornell Hospital in New York and directly with the patients who have the virus. His message is very simple. Stop touching your face with your hands....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YitW...ature=youtu.be
Thanks for posting this clip, Mars. I've watched only 20 minutes of it, but it's very helpful. The physician allays a lot of fears and focuses on how to prevent this: wash your hands, don't touch your face, stay a distance away from people, shrink your social circle.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:33 PM

228 posts, read 161,859 times
Oh boy, it had started....

"Armed 'vigilantes' on Maine island 'cut down a tree and use it as a roadblock to quarantine' three men from New Jersey" [even though these men were in Maine for a long time already, just had NJ plates]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ew-Jersey.html

"The trio decided to stay put in residence, utilized VHF radio to hail the Coast Guard assistance, as they had no other means of communication" (after the locals took down their cable line)

And I'm out-of-state with CA plates now, no cell signal here either....LOL, need to make sure SAPSAT beacon is by my side, got no radio!

Old 03-29-2020, 03:45 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Wearing masks in asian countries is common when they’re sick. Not when they’re healthy. Many sources are saying that masks can’t help you if you’re healthy but they help prevent the spread if you’re sick.

If it makes someone feel better, then wear one.

Since every hole in your face is an infection path, masks without goggles don't make much sense.
I went out yesterday for more time than I've been in over a week and I saw lots of people equipped with masks of varying degree of effectiveness, all over the area. I think we're going to emerge from this being deeply scarred. I mean nothing funny about the above.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:47 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Thanks for posting this clip, Mars. I've watched only 20 minutes of it, but it's very helpful. The physician allays a lot of fears and focuses on how to prevent this: wash your hands, don't touch your face, stay a distance away from people, shrink your social circle.
Egggsactly! Stay well, be aware and you can get through this without being contaminated.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:31 PM

228 posts, read 161,859 times
Yeah...masks can't help... this is a bunch of crock from agenda-ridden government which wasn't able to provide enough of them even for medical workers. Hence this lie is being spread. What a disgusting dangerous lie, I have to say would love to see those in the government who spread it thrown in prison for the rest of their life.
Lots of lawsuits are coming once this epidemic is over.

As to Asian countries - in cities in China and Japan, Hong Kong, it's NOT just sick people that wear masks, actually many and sometimes most of the healthy people wear them in public during various epidemics including flu (right now probably everyone), and some used to wear them because of pollution in China. They had learned their lessons after SARS.

https://www.economist.com/china/2020...s-in-hong-kong
“HEY GWEILO, too poor to buy a mask?” Such handwritten signs around Hong Kong are evidence of growing impatience with foreigners who insist on going out in public without face masks during the coronavirus crisis (gweilo, meaning “ghost man", is slang for a white person).

Old 03-29-2020, 05:30 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Since every hole in your face is an infection path, masks without goggles don't make much sense.
I went out yesterday for more time than I've been in over a week and I saw lots of people equipped with masks of varying degree of effectiveness, all over the area. I think we're going to emerge from this being deeply scarred. I mean nothing funny about the above.
I was just talking to a friend today about how and if this will change us. Will be see people shaking hands again? Maybe in six months? Twelve?

It will feel like normal to me when I can walk in any store and easily find rice, pasta, hand sanitizer, TP and paper towels.

Maybe like in Asia, people who get sick will now start wearing masks. I’d hate to see us become a nation of germophobes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
Yeah...masks can't help... this is a bunch of crock from agenda-ridden government which wasn't able to provide enough of them even for medical workers. Hence this lie is being spread. What a disgusting dangerous lie, I have to say would love to see those in the government who spread it thrown in prison for the rest of their life.

As to Asian countries - in cities in China and Japan, Hong Kong, it's NOT just sick people that wear masks, actually many and sometimes most of the healthy people wear them in public during various epidemics including flu (right now probably everyone), and some used to wear them because of pollution in China. The had learned their lessons after SARS.

“HEY GWEILO, too poor to buy a mask?” Such handwritten signs around Hong Kong are evidence of growing impatience with foreigners who insist on going out in public without face masks during the coronavirus crisis (gweilo, meaning “ghost man", is slang for a white person).
You’re a perfect example of an irrational, fear based person. You want to make a mask out of T-shirts, or buy a real mask to wear 24/7, be my guest. Most rational people will still go out, get food, exercise and not wear a mask.

I would hate to live my life in abject fear like I see with all the panic buying, people freaking out if someone coughs, or people on a lonely hiking trail by themselves wearing a mask. That’s not living.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:59 PM

987 posts, read 778,594 times
https://www.****.com/five-san-diego-...-for-covid-19/

Five San Diego County food handlers test positive for COVID-19
Posted: March 29, 2020 **** Newsroom
SAN DIEGO (****) – San Diego County health officials said Sunday that five food handlers have tested positive for COVID-19 — four restaurant employees and one grocery store employee.

Meanwhile, a Celebrity Eclipse cruise ship will dock in San Diego on Monday.

“The health of the ship is excellent right now,” McDonald said. County health officials are in continuous contact with the ship’s crew for any sign of symptoms, he said.

McDonald said 17 cruise passengers are from San Diego County and they will go straight home after disembarking from the ship and will self-quarantine for 14 days. About 1,500 other passengers are from outside the county and after disembarking they will travel home and self-quarantine.

Another Petri dish scenario because they are relying on their word that they will go directly home and stay there for 14 days...

Old 03-30-2020, 04:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post

As to Asian countries - in cities in China and Japan, Hong Kong, it's NOT just sick people that wear masks, actually many and sometimes most of the healthy people wear them in public during various epidemics including flu (right now probably everyone), and some used to wear them because of pollution in China. They had learned their lessons after SARS.

If it is a crock why does the medical profession tell us they are useless in preventing us from getting COVID19 but does help people who may have it without knowledge from spreading it? Even the medical people in our family are saying this. What do they have to gain from telling us this?

BTW: how many people in government do you know that have, knowingly spread it? There are some of us who are doing our part even if some are over reacting. Then there are those who appear to be a bit over dramatic!!!

Old 03-30-2020, 08:32 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Even with no epidemic, Asians societies are better/cleaner at living in close quarters than European-heritage ones. Designer health masks are a standard commodity. Nobody even blinks at someone wearing a mask in public at any time of year. ALL public workers--from grocery check-out clerks to people working at the DMV--wear masks AND gloves on the job. Public spaces are disinfected. Child-care facilities and other places with sensitive populations have a routine:

1. Take your shoes off.
2. Have your forehead scanned for fever.
3. Have your hands sprayed with disinfectant.

Every time you leave, every time you return.

That is why Japan, Taiwan, etc. don't have to SHUT DOWN to combat COVID-19. They know how to practice basic hygiene!

If we hadn't allowed our hubris to sell us this Euro-centric lie about not needing masks, gloves, forehead scanners, and just better hygiene in general, we wouldn't be crushing our own economy in the hope of "just" letting 200,000 Americans die--in our best-case scenario!

We don't need to surge PPE production, we need to permanently implement it, admit we were wrong, and mandate mask/glove wearing until it becomes a social norm.

The PRIMARY mode of transmission is coughing particles into another person's airways. Know what would stop COVID-19 even better than this complete economic shutdown? If every infected person (knowing or unknowing) wore a mask and couldn't spread it to their coworkers!

Old 03-30-2020, 08:53 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Even with no epidemic, Asians societies are better/cleaner at living in close quarters than European-heritage ones. Designer health masks are a standard commodity. Nobody even blinks at someone wearing a mask in public at any time of year. ALL public workers--from grocery check-out clerks to people working at the DMV--wear masks AND gloves on the job. Public spaces are disinfected. Child-care facilities and other places with sensitive populations have a routine:

1. Take your shoes off.
2. Have your forehead scanned for fever.
3. Have your hands sprayed with disinfectant.

Every time you leave, every time you return.

That is why Japan, Taiwan, etc. don't have to SHUT DOWN to combat COVID-19. They know how to practice basic hygiene!

If we hadn't allowed our hubris to sell us this Euro-centric lie about not needing masks, gloves, forehead scanners, and just better hygiene in general, we wouldn't be crushing our own economy in the hope of "just" letting 200,000 Americans die--in our best-case scenario!

We don't need to surge PPE production, we need to permanently implement it, admit we were wrong, and mandate mask/glove wearing until it becomes a social norm.

The PRIMARY mode of transmission is coughing particles into another person's airways. Know what would stop COVID-19 even better than this complete economic shutdown? If every infected person (knowing or unknowing) wore a mask and couldn't spread it to their coworkers!
Speaking of hubris and all this taking care in crowded society ... um, the ultimate hubris of humanity has been that we can overpopulate. Grow grow grow is the homo sapiens mantra that will kill us.

“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer cell.” - Edward Abbey

COVID 19 is but one example among a bazillion ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California