Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2022, 01:47 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,877,478 times

Advertisements

A few anecdotes from anonymous people online don't count, and even the article doesn't suggest a deluge of young people applying for disability as welfare (in a different state). I'd need a chart with age ranges to know for sure.... Disability is not something a normal, able-bodied young person wants. Yes, there will be some fraud, which happens in everything, but I expect just a little (vs. routine, more lucrative workers' comp fraud). The whole, bad original claim is meant to downplay the virus, as in Long-Covid is more an opportunity for scamming than a potential health nightmare.

By the way, there probably will be many more people who are limited and have to struggle without government assistance than those who are granted disability. The prognosis isn't so bleak as to be probably life-long, which I believe to be a routine part of grounds for government disability. Special private short-term disability insurance might someday become popular, for the many people who will have problems for months before eventually regaining normal function.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:59 AM

As for testing being cut back in schools or other workplaces while the virus is quite active, even if most people want loosening, no! Why not? Because if the employers have health insurance plans, those insurance companies will want testing to continue, so they can minimize paying claims due to workplace spread.

Last edited by goodheathen; 06-29-2022 at 02:08 AM..

Old 06-29-2022, 05:43 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Yes, there will be some fraud, which happens in everything, but I expect just a little (vs. routine, more lucrative workers' comp fraud). The whole, bad original claim is meant to downplay the virus, as in Long-Covid is more an opportunity for scamming than a potential health nightmare.
You do realize there were countless cases of fraud and manipulating the system with Covid, right? I was working in a grocery store at the time, my sister worked for the same chain in CA. Because the unknown of the virus frightened several into quitting, we had to do fast hiring. Well, when they found out they could get 10 days Covid pay without working it began. At that time they would land the job, work a few days and call off with Covid symptoms, BOOM, auto vacation for them.

So yes, fraud is much larger than you give it credit for.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:45 AM

Another person who doesn't understand the disability system. You cannot just go to court with a vague condition like Long-Covid, say "I have Long-Covid," and win. Even if a doctor puts it in writing. Also, full-fledged fraud against the government tends to eventually result in prison.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:33 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
No surprise here but I liked that last part because there are people that still want to guilt trip others who don't want to wear a mask.

Do mask mandates work? Bay Area COVID data from June says no.

“Mask mandates may create a false sense of reassurance to those who truly need the extra protection,” Noble said in April. “The severely immunocompromised person … should be using an N95 in crowded spaces when viral prevalence is high. They should not opt for a cloth or surgical mask because other people around them are masked and therefore assume it is 'safe enough' to avoid the tight fitting and uncomfortable N95.”

Old 06-29-2022, 10:42 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
I agree about the masks and whether they work or not. Not only do they not work, they can cause skin irritations i.e. acne. I was lucky to never experience acne in my life but when I started having to wear a mask, my face started to break out around the area that was covered. I'm over it. Done. Finally got it cleared up. I'm not ever putting one of those things on my face again.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:58 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Another person who doesn't understand the disability system. You cannot just go to court with a vague condition like Long-Covid, say "I have Long-Covid," and win. Even if a doctor puts it in writing. Also, full-fledged fraud against the government tends to eventually result in prison.
Don't pretend to know what I know about the disability system.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:42 AM

382 posts, read 179,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No surprise here but I liked that last part because there are people that still want to guilt trip others who don't want to wear a mask.

Do mask mandates work? Bay Area COVID data from June says no.

“Mask mandates may create a false sense of reassurance to those who truly need the extra protection,” Noble said in April. “The severely immunocompromised person … should be using an N95 in crowded spaces when viral prevalence is high. They should not opt for a cloth or surgical mask because other people around them are masked and therefore assume it is 'safe enough' to avoid the tight fitting and uncomfortable N95.”
Yes, there are plenty in this leftist shaming Berkeley area. Still had to wear a mask to get a haircut a few weeks ago, but Alameda removed it I think last week so let's see. Other than that I refused to wear any mask in any store and not one worker said anything to me. I didn't wear it on Bart yesterday from El Cerrito to 12th/City Center. A couple others didn't either. But, I saw plenty of crazies, even more so than last time I commuted a couple years ago. What were they going to do to me, kick me off, meanwhile you got clowns all over the trains with no shoes and people yelling I need to let these people know who the F--- I am. Total clown show on Bart.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:44 AM

382 posts, read 179,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I agree about the masks and whether they work or not. Not only do they not work, they can cause skin irritations i.e. acne. I was lucky to never experience acne in my life but when I started having to wear a mask, my face started to break out around the area that was covered. I'm over it. Done. Finally got it cleared up. I'm not ever putting one of those things on my face again.
Same thing happened to my wife as a teacher. Got a terrible rash/irritation from those stupid things. Try talking to kids for 6 hours a day straight with a mask. Complete joke. She even caught covid wearing a KN95 mask so doubt those really work much either. I never caught it from her that I know of, but never tested either since I felt fine. Pandemic is over, people in Ca have to get over this.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Don't pretend to know what I know about the disability system.
Diversion. You just mentioned working in a grocery store. I doubt you have any experiencing working in the disability system. If you're on disability, that only counts for a little. I have some relevant anecdotal experience of my own. Bottom line - I'm right about this. Long-Covid is not a big risk of disability fraud and it's not something many people lie about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California