Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2022, 09:13 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My office does it all the time and I think there's nothing wrong with it. People then can make their own decision about whether they've been exposed to a person with a contagious disease and their own decision as to whether to test or isolate.
Since there are legal issues around disclosing an employee's medical information, that might cause a problem. (And didn't you mention more than once that you have one weird office?)

When COVID-19 first hit and there were no vaccinations, medical professionals were posting videos about how to wipe down your groceries, and people were on ventilators at hospitals, everyone at work was trying to figure out who the employee was who tested positive so we could figure out how much--if any--time we'd spent around them. Now it's obviously not the same threat.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:19 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
Quote:
My office does it all the time and I think there's nothing wrong with it. People then can make their own decision about whether they've been exposed to a person with a contagious disease and their own decision as to whether to test or isolate.
One reason this was being "played" was that there was no end-game. The virus was still going to be around and unless the school campuses never reopened, and all other businesses never reopened eventually the merry-go-round was going to cycle again. What we wound up with was continued spread, ruined educations and in some cases ruined lives. All because of lack of thought, discussion and questioning.
That's major revisionist history. Vaccine (mixed with immunity post-infection) was supposed to stop most of the transmission. The vaccine manufacturers and government officials promised more than they could deliver. There probably will be a Moderna Omicron-focused vaccine this fall, but now I don't trust that it will do its job long enough and as such insist tough flight and border testing come to be.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:55 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
I hope that sort of behavior doesn't spread throughout the rest of the country. It's illegal and seeing that you are an attorney, it would appear your office is violating the law. Ironic

Old 06-23-2022, 11:44 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/n...214635730.html

Not the best article, without parsing variants, but the key points are concerning regardless and it's valuable to learn that Long-Covid skews younger instead of older.

It's not okay if Omicron is causing, for example, 10% of people to feel bad 6 weeks later. Just on an economic level, that does some damage.

I don't think the plan is to have uncontrolled spread much longer, but unless coming vaccines remain effective for long, periods of major spread seem inevitable for at least a few more years, notwithstanding non-vaccine measures to control it or antivirals for all ages that remove most of the risk.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:34 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Since there are legal issues around disclosing an employee's medical information, that might cause a problem.

It *might* be problematic but it depends on how you define disclosure. In practice, has anyone filed a successful suit against an employer/other just because it was revealed by accident that they tested positive for covid? And what kind of damages and restitution would that even entail? We don't treat every little thing which could be construed as "medical information" with the same assurance of privacy. This becomes even more complicated if you work somewhere with on-site testing.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:55 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
What's this "second pandemic" that people have been talking about?

You mean this?
My best translation for Bidenese indicates he was speaking hypothetically. It's poor phrasing and not surprising given the source.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:52 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
You mean this?
My best translation for Bidenese indicates he was speaking hypothetically. It's poor phrasing and not surprising given the source.
Looks like the more dangerous Delta variation has been increasing since the end of last year. The links when searched just go to January of this year, but I believe one new article did mention this in a medical journal. Who knows what will happen enxt.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:49 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Looks like the more dangerous Delta variation has been increasing since the end of last year. The links when searched just go to January of this year, but I believe one new article did mention this in a medical journal. Who knows what will happen next.
I don't know what and where it "looks like" anything, but when people are getting "Covid" these days its mostly colds, headaches and, in my sister-in-law's case lots of burping. Looks like a nothing-burger from here.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:07 PM

2,616 posts, read 1,213,322 times
Covid is very SCARY!!!

Old 06-24-2022, 01:44 PM

Here I am again, to counter wishful thinking.

Cough and (the villain) fatigue are common in Omicron.
https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14630744
Remember, early South African reports were of (unlike a cold) severe fatigue that was lifting fast.
Also, Japan has one of the world's oldest populations, vs. South Africa with a young population.
But unlike Delta, Omicron rarely causes obvious organ damage or death, at least in the vaccinated. I think achiness is also less common in Omicron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California