Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2022, 04:29 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I wish I was as sanguine as you. I think that Americans were "sheople" during the pandemic. No one asked hard questions. At the very least someone should have raised questions when beaches, tennis courts and playgrounds were locked off.
Saying parts of L.A. are "third-world" tells me you have no idea what third-world actually is. It's clear to me now that you are either misinformed or a bot, assigned to this site to stir up trouble and make less than intelligent comments. I can't decide which but one thing is sure. You live in a bubble, which is why you think overzealous restrictions are the way to suppress the virus. Good luck with that

Americans were sheople during the pandemic. They've always been sheople. The number of independent thinkers has diminished over the years but there are still plenty of us around, thankfully. As for being sanguine, I don't know whether that's true but I have faith people will wake up before it's too late and if they don't they will have to learn to live with the very thing they despise now. Just have to wait and see.
Control is what they want, 1ATP and those who walk through life believing the government is here to help you are delusional. The very thing they hold precious now will soon be under fire and they won't like it so much when restrictions are put on those. By then, it will be too late. I wish them luck.

Kudos for taking the initiative to contact your representatives. Sorry you never got a reply. Standard procedure, though. They're all in when they want your vote but forget who you are, once they get what they want.
While HereOnMars' post was not a response to mine I did write my village's mayor, on March 22, 2020, and ask if "the objective was to illegalize everything that is fun." The response I got was "(t)hank you for your note. Tennis involves touching balls that can be contaminated with sweat and mucous, which can pass the virus around. Well I understand that people may not be happy, we have to do everything that we can do to prevent the spread of this virus." I could not oppose it alone, and the fact that virtually no one else spoke up speaks volumes. The silence was deafening.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:50 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,563,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This is long over due. My daughter is going on some Girls Scout camp next month and she has to get tested before even though she's vaccinated, which is also a requirement I believe. And if you're over 12 you need to be boosted. I couldn't believe they still have these pointless rules in place. Vast majority of kids have already had covid anyways.

The emergency phase of COVID-19 is over': Doctors' group urges Biden administration to revise guidelines for children

Tuesday’s letter asks the CDC to do away with mass testing of children at venues like schools and camps in favor of a test-to-treat approach that seeks to identify children who may be especially vulnerable to COVID-19 and to make sure that, if those children fall ill, they are quickly treated with effective therapeutics that have become available in recent months.
I have given up on trying to understand the logic of people insisting on vaccinations at this point. I can certainly understand the logic of testing.

I mentioned before that my wife is back to the office 2 days a week at her 100% vaccinated building (they have a few buildings). Every time someone gets Covid, HR sends out a text. She has gotten a text every week since she got back with at least one person coming down with it. I asked her what does the company want her to do with that information? They don't shut down operations, they don't specifically tell you who the person is, and they don't suddenly change their protocol so that everyone has to wear masks. So what's the point? Clearly I couldn't care less if anyone posts some link claiming that the vaccine prevents infection. And I will simply point to the reality that I see in real life. It's doing nothing of the sort and there's no sense in carrying on the charade. And with the vast majority vaccinated, there is zero chance that a hospital is going to be overloaded (figured I'd nip that argument in the bud also). As much as some want to cling on to some of the arguments used 2 years ago, those are dead in the water now.

Last edited by blameyourself; 06-22-2022 at 06:20 AM..

Old 06-22-2022, 08:10 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I have given up on trying to understand the logic of people insisting on vaccinations at this point. I can certainly understand the logic of testing.

I mentioned before that my wife is back to the office 2 days a week at her 100% vaccinated building (they have a few buildings). Every time someone gets Covid, HR sends out a text. She has gotten a text every week since she got back with at least one person coming down with it. I asked her what does the company want her to do with that information? They don't shut down operations, they don't specifically tell you who the person is, and they don't suddenly change their protocol so that everyone has to wear masks. So what's the point? Clearly I couldn't care less if anyone posts some link claiming that the vaccine prevents infection. And I will simply point to the reality that I see in real life. It's doing nothing of the sort and there's no sense in carrying on the charade. And with the vast majority vaccinated, there is zero chance that a hospital is going to be overloaded (figured I'd nip that argument in the bud also). As much as some want to cling on to some of the arguments used 2 years ago, those are dead in the water now.
We have the same vaccination policies, same protocols or lack thereof. I think vaccination still cuts the severity from practically life-threatening to practically a joke, and vaccinations and boosters should continue. Our office's notification, every time there is a positive test is:
Quote:
We have been notified that (fill in the blank staff member #1) who was in the office (x-date) has tested positive for COVID. Please note that (fill in the blank staff member #2) previously tested negative on Monday and wore his mask while in the office. We want to alert everyone working in the office to the possibility of exposure. If you experience symptoms such as fever, chills, cough, difficulty breathing, new loss of taste or smell, or other symptoms that may be related to COVID-19, stay home and consider consulting with your healthcare provider about COVID-19 testing.
Is yours as non-descript?

Old 06-22-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We have the same vaccination policies, same protocols or lack thereof. I think vaccination still cuts the severity from practically life-threatening to practically a joke.
And I never debated that.

Again, what I'm seeing in a real world, practical situation is the vaccine not preventing infections, a vast majority of people vaccinated so a lessening of severity making the likelihood of overcrowded hospitals (the popular rebuttal) moot, and no changing of protocols. I think there is still a logical rationale for testing as it's still a highly contagious disease. However I see no reason to mandate people being vaccinated at this point. The minute it was realized that the vaccine did not prevent people from being infected, that argument was dead in the water. If the situation changes, or a specific area is having problems (i.e. LA county), then you adjust. I have grown tired of irrational policies like those at my wife's company or other places throughout the state of California and across the country.

Addendum: You added to your post after I replied. There is no reporting of the individual at my wife's workplace...only the building. Either way, I'm not sure what reporting the person would solve other than to paint someone with a Scarlett Letter. You're not closing down, you're not requiring masks, and you're simply saying if you feel sick...test and don't go to work. You can say that without "outing" someone and the rest should be standard if anyone feels sick.

Last edited by blameyourself; 06-22-2022 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-22-2022, 09:20 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:

To be a bit more fair in defining whether or not vaccines *prevent* infection, I submit persons would be more accurate if they said: “vaccines are not a *guarantee* against infection [with Covid]”

This because vaccinations *may, in fact, prevent infection in some people*. What science knows at this point is that vaccines do *not guarantee* prevention … but rather much reduce effects of the virus in many cases.

Numbers, in terms of changing rates of infection, are hard parse at this point given the widespread presence of the virus. But it is so nearly omnipresent that I am a bit intrigued how so many people continue to never get sick. Perhaps the vaccinations DO actually prevent in some individuals?

Anecdotal example, myself: My girlfriend works in healthcare for aged. We live together. Her facility had a Covid outbreak recently and in spite of all kinds of Hollywood sci-fi costume-like PPE, she managed to come down with a (fortunately light) case herself - in spite of double-vax and double-boosted status. As mentioned, we live together, including in all intimacies in a very (read:VERY) small space. (Those familiar with my lifestyle described elsewhere will chuckle … small boat and camper van.) Assuming I was already fully exposed by the time she tested positive, we just stayed together while she quarantined.

I tested three times during the two weeks following her positive results and confirmations and symptoms (including coughing, unmasked, in our live aboard space).

Right, I (also double-vaxed and single-boosted) remained negative.

So, am I one of those who are just naturally immune? Or did my vaccinations repel the virus?

There is NO way I was not as exposed as an experiment in a petri-dish lab trial.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
To be a bit more fair in defining whether or not vaccines *prevent* infection, I submit persons would be more accurate if they said: “vaccines are not a *guarantee* against infection [with Covid]”

This because vaccinations *may, in fact, prevent infection in some people*. What science knows at this point is that vaccines do *not guarantee* prevention … but rather much reduce effects of the virus in many cases.

Numbers, in terms of changing rates of infection, are hard parse at this point given the widespread presence of the virus. But it is so nearly omnipresent that I am a bit intrigued how so many people continue to never get sick. Perhaps the vaccinations DO actually prevent in some individuals?

Anecdotal example, myself: My girlfriend works in healthcare for aged. We live together. Her facility had a Covid outbreak recently and in spite of all kinds of Hollywood sci-fi costume-like PPE, she managed to come down with a (fortunately light) case herself - in spite of double-vax and double-boosted status. As mentioned, we live together, including in all intimacies in a very (read:VERY) small space. (Those familiar with my lifestyle described elsewhere will chuckle … small boat and camper van.) Assuming I was already fully exposed by the time she tested positive, we just stayed together while she quarantined.

I tested three times during the two weeks following her positive results and confirmations and symptoms (including coughing, unmasked, in our live aboard space).

Right, I (also double-vaxed and single-boosted) remained negative.

So, am I one of those who are just naturally immune? Or did my vaccinations repel the virus?

There is NO way I was not as exposed as an experiment in a petri-dish lab trial.
Fair enough on the description.

I would share a strange situation also as both my wife and I were vaccinated. We both got Covid. In my case, the science would say my dosage was severely waning (had the J & J some 4 1/2 months prior and no booster). My wife had both initial doses of Pfizer and a booster about 4 weeks previous to being infected. What happened? I had 3 days of flu-like, gastrointestinal conditions (nothing I felt was life threatening and I certainly never felt the need to go to a hospital). I tested negative and took about 3 weeks to feel I could do my standard workouts (fairly strenuous) with normal breathing. As for my wife....you could check the box on everything Covid related and she had it. Was down for the count for 11 days before testing out negative. She was clearly more protected than me so go figure. The main difference is I tend to be on point on diet and workout 5 days a week. She eats a bunch of crap and never works out (other than maybe one walk a week of about 2 1/2 miles). Can I conclude that one's immune system plays a huge role? I would think so. So many unknowns Tulemutt. Thank you for sharing.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:32 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:

Vaccines do absolutely nothing in kids 5-12 to prevent infection, so what is the point of mandating them?

I don't really get the point of notifications either, I'm guessing it's some CalOSHA regulation/requirement. I ignore the emails just as I did from my kids school.

I agree it's pretty ridiculous how people cling to these outdated beliefs.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:52 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what reporting the person would solve other than to paint someone with a Scarlett Letter.
And it's good that they don't. Fortunately, it's against HIPAA laws to disclose the identity of an employee who has tested positive for COVID-19.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And it's good that they don't. Fortunately, it's against HIPAA laws to disclose the identity of an employee who has tested positive for COVID-19.
I guess JBGUSA should mention that to his/her HR person.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:02 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I (also double-vaxed and single-boosted) remained negative.

Hard to tell, Mutt. Interesting article about this. One just never knows how his or her body will react to the virus. This columnist apparently had an underlying condition, but believes she let her guard down by not wearing a mask, not getting the second booster, and "frankly, (I) stopped worrying about contracting an infection."

"I’d read that immunologists theorize that some portion of the population might not be susceptible to COVID-19, and I lulled myself into thinking I might be one of those with “super-immunity.”

And yes, I laughed when I wrote that just now."

I dodged COVID for more than two years. The latest surge finally got me:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...-public-health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California