Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2022, 11:25 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I guess JBGUSA should mention that to his/her HR person.
When it first started my office threw names around then it appears HR clamped down on it. Then, like everywhere else they didn't even bother because so many had it. It took them 2 months to transition to work from home and we could have done it day one.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:26 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,451,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
And with the vast majority vaccinated, there is zero chance that a hospital is going to be overloaded...

And because of that, we can begin to safely ignore asymptomatic cases. For the most part, we've already shifted towards that direction. It's just not being said out loud. Raw case numbers and deaths stopped having meaning for the purpose of creating policy once vaccination rates began to really climb. That's why even our state stopped figuring those into any formula once the color scheme went away. There's no point to shaping policy around them anymore. With the emphasis on hospitalizations now, testing data is purely informational. This shifts the burden to act onto those who have preexisting health conditions which was always an eventuality.

If more people were testing right now, the case rates would undoubtedly be higher. But it would also skew the ratio of cases to hospitalizations which would be continued proof that the vaccinated can "live with" covid.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:33 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,451,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
When it first started my office threw names around then it appears HR clamped down on it.

Unless someone works for a huge employer and/or doesn't see their work colleagues every day/wfh, or whatever, it's pretty easy to figure out who got sent home because of a positive covid test or not.

In schools, it's all really hush-hush for both staff and particularly students. Nobody is supposed to know who went home sick with the virus or who's stuck there by quarantine rules. But it's pretty easy to figure out. Just look around and see who mysteriously left in the middle of the day.

I don't understand the point of trying to keep covid a secret in a work setting. It's not like we do that with colds and flus.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:52 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Hard to tell, Mutt. Interesting article about this. One just never knows how his or her body will react to the virus. This columnist apparently had an underlying condition, but believes she let her guard down by not wearing a mask, not getting the second booster, and "frankly, (I) stopped worrying about contracting an infection."

"I’d read that immunologists theorize that some portion of the population might not be susceptible to COVID-19, and I lulled myself into thinking I might be one of those with “super-immunity.”

And yes, I laughed when I wrote that just now."

I dodged COVID for more than two years. The latest surge finally got me:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...-public-health
It sure is impossible to know at this point.

I haven’t even had a sore throat or head cold, let alone a flu, in at least about 30 years … and I’ve cared for wife and grandkids through all the above. So I might be tempted to think I have somehow developed a super immune system. Maybe I have. But I play the odds anyway: vaccinations, exemplary diet (nuts, seeds, raw veggies / fruits, plenty of protein including mostly fish, very low sugar intake, nearly no refined carbs …), lots and lots of physical activities. But it could be also genetics (which I had nothing to do with obviously) … or just plain luck.

One thing I feel sure of: no politics involved

Old 06-22-2022, 06:01 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
So fun watching people spreading misinformation - as if Long-Covid doesn't exist and/or vaccines nearly eliminate risk of it - and essentially advocate throwing others to the wolves for the sake of convenience. I wonder if anyone here has teenagers. "Thanks, mom or dad, for being anti-restrictions and sending me to a school that gave me multiple bad infections, frequent no-good substitute teachers (because the regulars were out sick), and had me constantly worrying what's next."

Old 06-22-2022, 06:35 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
So fun watching people spreading misinformation - as if Long-Covid doesn't exist and/or vaccines nearly eliminate risk of it - and essentially advocate throwing others to the wolves for the sake of convenience. I wonder if anyone here has teenagers. "Thanks, mom or dad, for being anti-restrictions and sending me to a school that gave me multiple bad infections, frequent no-good substitute teachers (because the regulars were out sick), and had me constantly worrying what's next."
I have two of them and they couldn't wait to get back into the classroom and ditch the mask. One the valedictorian of his class and robbed of his senior year. Same with first year of College. Was going to be on campus but no, all cancelled. So basically his best two years as a teen were spent on a laptop in a room with his family because no one could go anywhere but, of course, the cramped costco or Walmart.

The mental damage to these kids was pretty harsh just to appease some politicians that didn't follow their own freakin guidelines. We got played.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:20 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Not my idea of "played." Slow the spread did as promised, and when school campuses reopened infections jumped significantly.

Anyway, I'm talking about minors, who have little free choice of their own. Vaccines for them are terribly ineffective - https://www.aha.org/news/news/2022-0...afety-children - and some parents won't even give their kids that minimal protection. It's probably already happening that teens are resentful toward parents as I described. Some of the things discussed lately amount to child endangerment and discrimination.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:58 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,215,399 times
What's this "second pandemic" that people have been talking about?

I saw some headlines but haven't had a chance to read into it yet. Is it another virus/disease, or another wave of covid?

Old 06-23-2022, 06:50 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
What's this "second pandemic" that people have been talking about?

I saw some headlines but haven't had a chance to read into it yet. Is it another virus/disease, or another wave of covid?
Who knows? However Bill Gates has been spewing about it too

Old 06-23-2022, 08:38 AM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And it's good that they don't. Fortunately, it's against HIPAA laws to disclose the identity of an employee who has tested positive for COVID-19.
My office does it all the time and I think there's nothing wrong with it. People then can make their own decision about whether they've been exposed to a person with a contagious disease and their own decision as to whether to test or isolate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Not my idea of "played." Slow the spread did as promised, and when school campuses reopened infections jumped significantly.

Anyway, I'm talking about minors, who have little free choice of their own. Vaccines for them are terribly ineffective - https://www.aha.org/news/news/2022-0...afety-children - and some parents won't even give their kids that minimal protection. It's probably already happening that teens are resentful toward parents as I described. Some of the things discussed lately amount to child endangerment and discrimination.
One reason this was being "played" was that there was no end-game. The virus was still going to be around and unless the school campuses never reopened, and all other businesses never reopened eventually the merry-go-round was going to cycle again. What we wound up with was continued spread, ruined educations and in some cases ruined lives. All because of lack of thought, discussion and questioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California