Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 06:14 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Losing 1/3 would have been lucky, since market was down about 50% in 2008-2009. 50% as well after 9/11, so I wouldn't be surprised this gets worse before it gets better. Everything is getting canceled, and I still can't wrap my arms around the fact the swine flu killed 12,000 and affected 60M in the US, and we are having this hysteria.
This is a great buying opportunity. There are some stocks and mutual funds that will be good to get into, but I think you’re right, it’s going down more first. I wouldn’t get in now, it’s just too volatile.

The mass hysteria is worse than the disease. The panic buying, the people screaming about staying home unless you wear a mask outside. We’ve become a nation of wimps. There are posts on other threads about people who can’t sleep because they’re so scared.

Biden just might have a shot, but I think in a month or so, this is going to calm down.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
Disneyland is closed.
the funny thing is.... even after shutting down everything till the end of the month, once everything opens up again, people will resume being infected

covid19 is not that bad, symptom-wise. I have it right now. It's like a mild-moderate flu.

We should just spread it around and self-quarantine as necessary, not completely shut down the economy because of it.
Good post and I hope you feel better!

Old 03-12-2020, 06:53 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
This is a great buying opportunity. There are some stocks and mutual funds that will be good to get into, but I think you’re right, it’s going down more first. I wouldn’t get in now, it’s just too volatile.

The mass hysteria is worse than the disease. The panic buying, the people screaming about staying home unless you wear a mask outside. We’ve become a nation of wimps. There are posts on other threads about people who can’t sleep because they’re so scared.

Biden just might have a shot, but I think in a month or so, this is going to calm down.
I hope you’re right and it’s calmed down in a month or I’d even take two months at this point. If we get to a 35-40% decline I might start getting back in the market. Been about 50% cash since early 2018. Was thinking I sold too early but it’s turning out to not have been such a bad move after all. Of course I’m sure we all wished we sold 3 weeks ago.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I hope you’re right and it’s calmed down in a month or I’d even take two months at this point. If we get to a 35-40% decline I might start getting back in the market. Been about 50% cash since early 2018. Was thinking I sold too early but it’s turning out to not have been such a bad move after all. Of course I’m sure we all wished we sold 3 weeks ago.
I think the market is reacting to the oil war, the virus plus the thing was due for a correction. I think it’ll settle down but we may not see another bull market for a while. I see many stocks at a one year low, so the opportunity is there.

We were traveling in Asia when SARS was going on. When we got off the plane in Hong Kong, someone was waiting for the plane and had something that looked like a radar gun taking the temperature of all the people coming off the plane. If they had a fever, they were taken out and put into quarantine. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that here. That or people keeling over from fear.

Last edited by Mike930; 03-12-2020 at 07:52 PM..

Old 03-12-2020, 08:20 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:
I think the market is reacting to the oil war, the virus plus the thing was due for a correction. I think it’ll settle down but we may not see another bull market for a while. I see many stocks at a one year low, so the opportunity is there.

We were traveling in Asia when SARS was going on. When we got off the plane in Hong Kong, someone was waiting for the plane and had something that looked like a radar gun taking the temperature of all the people coming off the plane. If they had a fever, they were taken out and put into quarantine. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that here. That or people keeling over from fear.
Yeah, I remember great deals when SARS was going on. Here’s an interesting take from Dr Drew and this is really what I believe. Maybe CNN has to get Gupta off retainer and have some objective news reporting.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ng_people.html

Old 03-12-2020, 08:25 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
What am I supposed to do with all this toilet paper? I rented a couple of U-Haul trucks and purchased all the toilet paper they had to sell at my local Costco. So am I supposed to build a toilet paper wall around my home so the germs bounce off or something? And, if I squeeze the Charmin (don't tell Mr. Wipple), does that decrease its effectiveness in stopping the Coronavirus?
I went to the store the other night and no toilet paper. Why? Why? Why? I didn't think diarrhea was part of this virus!

Old 03-12-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I went to the store the other night and no toilet paper. Why? Why? Why? I didn't think diarrhea was part of this virus!
Costco has it available online. Unbelievable isn’t it?

Old 03-12-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I remember great deals when SARS was going on. Here’s an interesting take from Dr Drew and this is really what I believe. Maybe CNN has to get Gupta off retainer and have some objective news reporting.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ng_people.html
Excellent article. Everyone should read it. I couldn’t rep you again.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:49 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,359 times
Quote:
Excellent article. Everyone should read it. I couldn’t rep you again.

yeah, this sounds so silly.

It's like shutting down the economy for the common flu.

I hope everyone has enough savings to dip into during this down period.
Americans don't save jack, so i hope no one goes broke.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
yeah, this sounds so silly.

It's like shutting down the economy for the common flu.

I hope everyone has enough savings to dip into during this down period.
Americans don't save jack, so i hope no one goes broke.
Exactly. Plus many small businesses will struggle if people stay home out of fear. Friends told me that some local asian shops and restaurants are losing business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California