Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 05:49 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can't believe someone would actually think the stock market drop was just simply a result of an adjustment that was due. Of course I agree with you on this, most of the market drop has to do with the panic and all the businesses that are being affected by this craziness. How can anyone think the drop was due to happen anyway. When that happens it is usually a few day drop, not a 2 week or more drop.
The stock market drop was due to the oil wars and the virus. There were people saying a correction was due.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Costco has it available online. Unbelievable isn’t it?
The same with Sam's: online only, at least in our area, as well as no bleach in the stores and a few other items. We fought the crowds yesterday: it was awful. When I am too tired to even go to our weekly Happy Hour I am tired. We did go and of course pretty much the conversation was centered around the Coronavirus.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
This is a real emergency.

Ventilator. Not respirator. SIAARTI has published guidelines about how to distribute care and whom should be left to die when the Italian system saturates. We could see the same thing here. My town has 500 total hospital beds. Less than 100 are vacant normally. Only 20% of the senior population, that becomes infected, will need them. That's likely to be between 1,000 and 5,000 people. Spread out over many months by lockdowns and quarantines, maybe we could handle the flow of serious cases. Left unchecked, there is no way.

My neighbor works at a hospital in a nearby town. He says, despite flu season being over, they are extremely busy with serious flu-like symptoms and complications like pneumonia.

They have no tests, and its too many patients to isolate despite suspicion of COVID-19. More every day.

I very much look forward to you quoting yourself in a month and saying "I told you so." Nothing would make me happier.

In fact, I pray for a resolution to this crisis that would allow you to do so every day. We all should.
You said respirator in your post. I was referencing that. My point was the panic buying is not necessary and this is a huge over reaction. I was in Costco last week and half the people had carts full of water and toilet paper. You would think all supply chains were cut off. It feeds on itself. People hear that TP is in short supply, so they run out, stock up and add to the problem.

I understand the need for precautions. However, I’m not doing anything that I didn’t do before. If I was sick in the past, I stayed home. That’s common courtesy. I wash my hands regularly. I get that. But the mortality rate is very low and mostly affects the elderly and those with underlying health issues.

The real danger is the panic that leads to huge drops in the stock market (that’s partly due to the oil war) and possible recession because of fear.

I apologize if it seemed like I was attacking you but if you stand back and take an objective look at this, the unbridled panic is over the top. This did not happen with the Swine Flu.

I said this in another post, but I wanted to see the results of the Democratic primaries on Tuesday and really had to search for it. Almost every single story was the virus. I’m getting emails from various businesses on how they’re taking precautions. It’s crazy. There are some posters here that are disgusting in their fear mongering.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:43 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,619,316 times
Quote:
There were people saying a correction was due.
To be fair people have been saying this since like 2015. We've had one of the longest and strongest bull markets in history so people have been calling for a correction for years.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:36 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
It wasn't so much the fact that it was THAT Dr. Drew, it was his message which is on point. The media is blowing this thing up so much, it isn't any wonder people are in a frenzy over it. Everywhere I read, people are focusing on how deadly the virus is but they fail to mention that the deaths that have already occurred are older people who had underlying health conditions. As one poster here who actually has the virus has stated, he felt worse years ago when he had the plain old flu.

Simmer down, Tulemutt. No one is jumping on Dr. Drew's bandwagon. We were commenting on what he was saying and it's true. Doesn't matter that he's the one saying it. I've heard others say it, too. It's just that THIS article was the one TR posted.
Exactly calm down TM. You may think you know all, but you don’t. There’s a lot of truth to it. Fact is the swine flu killed 12,000 and sickened 60,000 people in the US. We didn’t hear half the **** back then that we’re hearing now. Will this be as bad as swine flu? Time will tell, but my odds are on it not even coming close.

Nobody is putting him on a pedestal here. But doctors can be questioned when some are spreading the fear.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:29 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,663 times
Quote:

I said this in another post, but I wanted to see the results of the Democratic primaries on Tuesday and really had to search for it. Almost every single story was the virus. I’m getting emails from various businesses on how they’re taking precautions. It’s crazy. There are some posters here that are disgusting in their fear mongering.
This is the problem. I kept saying this back in January when the Coronavirus first started getting attention. Guess what CNN was focused on? You got it, the Trump impeachment every single night. Hardly a mention of the virus. Now, they come on saying what a lousy job the administration did.

Here are the facts. Obama declared a Public Health Emergency on 4/26/09 before one death of the swine flu and a National Emergency in Oct 2009 after 1,000 US deaths.

Trump declared a Public Health Emergency on 1/31/2020. Now, they're saying he should declare a National Emergency, and he's doing all the wrong things. I do think they screwed up by not having the test kits. I do agree there's likely many more cases that were never reported and some have it now and don't even know.

Should he declare a National Emergency? I don't know. Guess, I'll leave it to the so-called experts even though I have less faith in any expert as I get older and older. Here's some good stats in case people haven't seen this yet.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE

80+ years old
14.8%

70-79 years old
8.0%

60-69 years old
3.6%

50-59 years old
1.3%

40-49 years old
0.4%

30-39 years old
0.2%

20-29 years old
0.2%

10-19 years old
0.2%

0-9 years old
no fatalities

Old 03-13-2020, 09:45 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post

Simmer down, Tulemutt. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Exactly calm down TM. You may think you know all, but you don’t. There’s a lot of truth to it. Fact is the swine flu killed 12,000 and sickened 60,000 people in the US. We didn’t hear half the **** back then that we’re hearing now. Will this be as bad as swine flu? Time will tell, but my odds are on it not even coming close.

Nobody is putting him on a pedestal here. But doctors can be questioned when some are spreading the fear.
No boiling over here from which I need to “simmer down”. My mirth continues with your reactions to my post .. in which I AGREED with Dr. Drew’s point about the media hyping the “crisis”.

My point was, and remains, to ridicule Dr. Drew inserting himself into the fray when he has specifically been guilty in the past of exactly what he is criticizing the media and others for now. He’s an MD who created himself to be a wealthy media star based on sensationalizing addictions (alcohol, drugs, and sexual). Good for him. And to stay in the public’s adoring eyes, he inserts himself where he is no more qualified than a slip-and-fall lawyer would be to constitutional arguments at the Supreme Court.

That all clarified, aside from all the hype: this virus IS a crisis. But consider how stupid humanity is at every turn:

“ Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.”

Shall I quote stats on other entirely controllable points of stupid mortality such as drinking and driving, drinking and drug abuse, et al? Yet what gets exhaustive press daily since 9/11 is the threats from terrorism ... which, other than 2001, has killed minuscule numbers by comparison.

Still, terrorism IS a deeply serious issue that does require great efforts of prevention for many reasons. Right?

The point that poster Mike930 has been making - correctly - is that human nature and the media make situations irresponsibly worse by the WAY the hype is promoted.

And knuckleheads like Drew Pinsky are part of the problem by hypocritically inserting their unqualified $0.02 whenever they feel they have lost the spotlight.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:00 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,762,145 times
After the days of the Walter Cronkite's and David Brinkley (the LAST of the REAL news casters) we've been inundated with junk news often financially supported by shall we say, certain factions of the political party. Also a certain Mr. George Soros former Nazi supporter billionaire, just one in a group of Illuminati that financially manipulate world governments and markets. Indeed this media is having a feeding frenzy. They do this with any subject that will ensure their job security. For them this disaster of the Coronavirus coupled with the Stock Market correction is GOLD to them. Their slants on news is almost enough to get you to blow chunks. But we'll have to put up with it till the virus begins to die down in several more months. Then they'll be on to the next thing they can sink their teeth into with their bull

Old 03-13-2020, 10:03 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
After the days of the Walter Cronkite's and David Brinkley (the LAST of the REAL news casters) we've been inundated with junk news often financially supported by shall we say, certain factions of the political party. Also a certain Mr. George Soros former Nazi supporter billionaire, just one in a group of Illuminati that financially manipulate world governments and markets. Indeed this media is having a feeding frenzy. They do this with any subject that will ensure their job security. For them this disaster of the Coronavirus coupled with the Stock Market correction is GOLD to them. Their slants on news is almost enough to get you to blow chunks. But we'll have to put up with it till the virus begins to die down in several more months. Then they'll be on to the next thing they can sink their teeth into with their bull
Speaking of over-the-top hyperbole and conspiracy-mongering stupidity ^^^.

Give it a rest.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No boiling over here from which I need to “simmer down”. My mirth continues with your reactions to my post .. in which I AGREED with Dr. Drew’s point about the media hyping the “crisis”.

My point was, and remains, to ridicule Dr. Drew inserting himself into the fray when he has specifically been guilty in the past of exactly what he is criticizing the media and others for now. He’s an MD who created himself to be a wealthy media star based on sensationalizing addictions (alcohol, drugs, and sexual). Good for him. And to stay in the public’s adoring eyes, he inserts himself where he is no more qualified than a slip-and-fall lawyer would be to constitutional arguments at the Supreme Court.

That all clarified, aside from all the hype: this virus IS a crisis. But consider how stupid humanity is at every turn:

“ Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.”

Shall I quote stats on other entirely controllable points of stupid mortality such as drinking and driving, drinking and drug abuse, et al? Yet what gets exhaustive press daily since 9/11 is the threats from terrorism ... which, other than 2001, has killed minuscule numbers by comparison.

Still, terrorism IS a deeply serious issue that does require great efforts of prevention for many reasons. Right?

The point that poster Mike930 has been making - correctly - is that human nature and the media make situations irresponsibly worse by the WAY the hype is promoted.

And knuckleheads like Drew Pinsky are part of the problem by hypocritically inserting their unqualified $0.02 whenever they feel they have lost the spotlight.
I’m actually not that familiar with the guy but I liked the message. Point well taken.

This morning I went to the Costco business center in San Diego stupidly thinking I could get in and out when they opened.

I got there 10 min after they opened and the parking lot was full. They had a guy out front saying they ran out of shopping carts and you had to follow someone out to get their cart. The woman I followed said there was a line wrapped around the building 30 min before they opened.

They had The legendary TP and water, limiting people to 1 TP and 2 cases of water per membership. The line to check out was snaked through the whole warehouse. To Costco’s credit the line went fast and I was out within 20 min of getting in line. The woman that followed me to get my cart said her mother lived in Alabama, went to Sam’s Club and they were sold out of meat.

The good thing was people were very friendly and polite. However, if there’s ever a real catastrophe, I’m sure civilization would collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California