Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 11:01 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
With Disney closing until April and baseball delayed, of course restaurants in the area are affected. It doesn’t mean all restaurants are closing.
That post was in response to the poster who claimed he had seen no evidence of restaurants closing. Context, Mike.

More: These L.A. restaurants are temporarily closed during the coronavirus pandemic:
https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2...rants-closures

Old 03-15-2020, 11:05 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,741,053 times
I drove to our dear SaveMart grocery here in Paradise this Sunday morning and they had everything in stock.
I was in and out under 20 minutes, one couple ahead of me in the checkout line and maybe 8 other shoppers looking for a deal on beer and wine. How clever of them. As soon as I got home I washed my hands, unloaded the groceries and here I am now, typing, wasting your time, and so far all is well here in the "NorthState."

Old 03-15-2020, 11:16 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That post was in response to the poster who claimed he had seen no evidence of restaurants closing. Context, Mike.

More: These L.A. restaurants are temporarily closed during the coronavirus pandemic:
https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2...rants-closures
Fair point.

I can imagine some will close if people freak out and avoid going. Just get take out.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:21 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Fair point.

I can imagine some will close if people freak out and avoid going. Just get take out.
Or buy gift certs if you can afford it, to support local business.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:00 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
And modern day plastic bags actually compresses landfill space from being taken up by other types of plastics or garbage. The bans actually increases roadside litter and total litter as garbage overflow garbage trucks and bin liners spill. Back in the old days they had to resort to Ocean dumping as an increasing amount of garbage had no place to go. Though I know the plastic bag police on City Data is going to flame me to death for typing this just as they always do with their ridiculous counterarguements they kept posting defending thier precious bans.
Actually, back in the old days - way back before humanity got stupidly huge in population - and back before we lived in conspicuous consumption throw-away goods economies ... there was next to no litter.

Ban people.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:01 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I drove to our dear SaveMart grocery here in Paradise this Sunday morning and they had everything in stock.
I was in and out under 20 minutes, one couple ahead of me in the checkout line and maybe 8 other shoppers looking for a deal on beer and wine. How clever of them. As soon as I got home I washed my hands, unloaded the groceries and here I am now, typing, wasting your time, and so far all is well here in the "NorthState."
So. No burial at sea today I guess ...

Old 03-15-2020, 12:04 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
2. People went shopping and saw empty spaces where some toilet paper used to be, and a primal part of their brains were triggered. "Shortages! I must stock up before everything is gone!" Then they buy up all of the remaining toilet paper, leaving more empty shelves that trigger the next shopper. It's amazing how powerful that lizard part of our brains is. Sometimes it's good, because that's where intuition and gut feeling originate, but in this situation our brains are like Chicken Little.
I believe this is exactly what's happening. Fear and panic drives humans to do irrational things. It's one thing to buy three or four items because they're on sale but what you describe is buying out of fear, thank goodness something I've never let myself get caught up in.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:05 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Actually, back in the old days - way back before humanity got stupidly huge in population - and back before we lived in conspicuous consumption throw-away goods economies ... there was next to no litter.

Ban people.
If they'd put that on the ballot, I'd vote "yes"

Old 03-15-2020, 01:15 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,498 times
I walked to get my laundry this morning and heard someone with a brutal dry hacking cough in a neighboring building from about 100 feet away outside. I walked back with my laundry and they were still at it...

Im in San Mateo county by the way. It seems to be spreading locally a lot. Someone at a competitor company was confirmed positive weeks ago.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:19 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
If they'd put that on the ballot, I'd vote "yes"
I’m getting there myself.....

Just spoke with a friend. They said Costco is getting back to normal crowd wise. They have imposed limits of one per item on TP, milk, cleaning products and eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California