Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 01:46 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

The Hand Sanitizer You Can't Find Is In This Putz's Garage

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...s-putzs-garage

Old 03-14-2020, 02:07 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I have a serious respiratory disease which has almost taken my life many, many times. For those who have never experienced a hospitalization because of severe shortness of breath and almost died, I will say it is time to take this thing seriously. That does not mean panic but does mean stop thinking that you are invincible.
Oh my. You're right to be concerned and cautious, aileesic. Take all the necessary steps to make sure you aren't exposed. If you must stay in and need certain things, look into having them delivered. I lost a brother to a respiratory disease and I watched him struggle for a breath so I truly understand your concern. Take care.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:08 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
...gyms may start closing soon.
"Dr. Barbara Ferrer, L.A. county public health director, said that while gyms have not been closed, common sense is needed to reduce the spread of the virus. She urged people not to take spinning classes and other activities where they would be less than six feet away from others."

Well, that would be aerobics, yoga, Pilates.....

Is it safe to go to the gym? L.A. officials urge coronavirus precautions:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...id-coronavirus

"Sweat is a constant at gyms and fitness classes. Every piece of equipment you touch has been touched by someone else’s sweat. And it’s even more so when you do the math of how long gyms have held on to their equipment, multiplied by the number of people in and out of a gym in any given hour, afternoon, day, or year.

“As a respiratory virus, sweat isn’t generally a transmission route, though contaminated skin and hands can be,” said Dr. Tara Smith, a professor of epidemiology at Kent State University. “Think more about how you might touch your nose and then touch equipment, or cough on a hand and touch equipment, than about the sweat itself.”

The possibility of the virus living on weights or mats makes the gym a risk for transmission."

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/13/211782...cle-quarantine

Old 03-14-2020, 03:09 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is unlikely the majority of us will get the disease. as for those, maybe not you to even think those of us who are the most at risk, especially those over 60 should be isolated for up to 2 months is totally nutty. To all of you, for heavens sake, this is not a death sentence. It isn't like a group of terrorists are standing at the bottom of a hill and telling all of us, if you go outside we are going to spray you with a virus that will kill you for sure or cause you to kill others. Yes, many will probably be affected in the next few months. some more seriously than others. But the panic is totally uncalled for. Remember China let is go, for too long, they are a communistic country and do not have the best healthy facilities in the world or the best living conditions.

Okay, so I guess you know more than the Epidemiologists and other health professionals? Literally millions of Americans will die if nothing is done, meaning if we all have your attitude and pretend everything will be fine. Ignore the fact that no one has immunity and that this disease is 10 times more deadly than the flu. Of course it’s not right to panic but what is even worse if that we do nothing.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by direstraights View Post
I just went to the store to get an onion. The entire kiosk that holds onions and potatoes of every type was 100% bare. Went to see what they had for meat and the entire meat selection was about 90-95% gone.
Yes, same experience here this morning at 7 a.m. I went to the market to get bananas, and there were none. And no eggs, meat, chicken, T.P., napkins. The store manager looked as if he'd been through the wringer.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:15 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Dr. Barbara Ferrer, L.A. county public health director, said that while gyms have not been closed, common sense is needed to reduce the spread of the virus. She urged people not to take spinning classes and other activities where they would be less than six feet away from others."

Well, that would be aerobics, yoga, Pilates.....

Is it safe to go to the gym? L.A. officials urge coronavirus precautions:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...id-coronavirus

"Sweat is a constant at gyms and fitness classes. Every piece of equipment you touch has been touched by someone else’s sweat. And it’s even more so when you do the math of how long gyms have held on to their equipment, multiplied by the number of people in and out of a gym in any given hour, afternoon, day, or year.

“As a respiratory virus, sweat isn’t generally a transmission route, though contaminated skin and hands can be,” said Dr. Tara Smith, a professor of epidemiology at Kent State University. “Think more about how you might touch your nose and then touch equipment, or cough on a hand and touch equipment, than about the sweat itself.”

The possibility of the virus living on weights or mats makes the gym a risk for transmission."

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/13/211782...cle-quarantine
LIke people going to follow her advice

Old 03-14-2020, 03:18 PM

Children with certain health issues are also at risk.

The Children’s Hospital Los Angeles announced Friday it was treating a patient diagnosed with coronavirus.

The hospital said that the patient is a child between the ages of 6 and 9, has no history of travel and was in fair condition. The hospital said the child was also receiving care for an underlying condition that likely made the child more vulnerable to the disease.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/chi...id-19-patient/

Old 03-14-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
LIke people going to follow her advice
I can't tell you how many people I know who have stopped going to the gym in the past week, myself included.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:22 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I can't tell you how many people I know who have stopped going to the gym in the past week, myself included.
Honestly I haven't noticed it yet. I was there today and it was packed

Old 03-14-2020, 03:30 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
I was at a Home Depot in Orange County this morning and it was just business as usual. Nice people out shopping living normal lives no panic no lines. Driving home streets were full it looked like people were parked at restaurants. I think next week this panic will be over and most people will continue life as normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California