Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 12:09 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,281,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Good article TR. Dr. Drew is right. It's pretty easy to rile people up these days and the press loves it.
He's a washed up reality TV star that profited off of addicts/alcoholics , some of whom DIED on his show. He's part of the problem and people should ignore his advice, along with Trump and friends who are trying to downplay their utter failure to govern.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:10 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,619,316 times
Corona virus is not a big deal for those of us that are healthy and under the age of 70. So basically 90% of the population? Taking a guess on that number. But it looks to be a big deal for that other 10% or so. I’m sure none of us would want to be in that other group and be thinking “hey if I catch this thing I have like a 10% chance of dying”.

So while the vast majority of us have nothing to worry about the question becomes what responsibility do we have for trying our best to prevent the spread and ultimately saving more lives? And at what cost to our freedoms and our pocket books?

We will be pulling our two kids from school and daycare. We will continue to pay for day care even though we won’t be using it for the time being so hopefully the child care providers that we know so well now can continue to get hours and pull a paycheck.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:13 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Yeah let’s do that. Let’s revisit this in a couple of months when this runs it’s course and it been hysteria for nothing. This would be funny if stores weren’t running out of stock and businesses weren’t suffering. The scene you paint is almost comical if it wasn’t pathetic. Families begging for a respirator? Over react much?

After witnessing all the chicken littles and the hand wringing, I’d hate to see what happens in a real emergency. Civilization will collapse.
This is a real emergency.

Ventilator. Not respirator. SIAARTI has published guidelines about how to distribute care and whom should be left to die when the Italian system saturates. We could see the same thing here. My town has 500 total hospital beds. Less than 100 are vacant normally. Only 20% of the senior population, that becomes infected, will need them. That's likely to be between 1,000 and 5,000 people. Spread out over many months by lockdowns and quarantines, maybe we could handle the flow of serious cases. Left unchecked, there is no way.

My neighbor works at a hospital in a nearby town. He says, despite flu season being over, they are extremely busy with serious flu-like symptoms and complications like pneumonia.

They have no tests, and its too many patients to isolate despite suspicion of COVID-19. More every day.

I very much look forward to you quoting yourself in a month and saying "I told you so." Nothing would make me happier.

In fact, I pray for a resolution to this crisis that would allow you to do so every day. We all should.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:14 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Yup, pretty bad day on Wall Street again today. As tempting as it is to sell, I won't because I know eventually when all the panic passes, it will rise again.... I read this morning that we are officially in a bear market. And, Mike is right. Don't panic. It will rise again.
Although it may take quite awhile. The market drop in 1987 didn't affect us as much since we were mere children (not really, but in the context of how one's portfolio affects future earnings). But this decline? Major concern.

Quote:
Hang in there, CA4Now.
You, too. I attended a meeting at work yesterday about the coronavirus. We were told that the situation changes day to day. A month ago, I was laughing at a family member who bought face masks....now I'm taking this much more seriously.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:16 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Newsom is certainly being proactive with this. I didn't know that he had it in him.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom released a sweeping executive order on Thursday that allows the state to commandeer hotels and medical facilities to treat coronavirus patients and permits government officials to hold teleconferences in private without violating open meeting laws.
Newsom issued the order hours after he called for the cancellation of gatherings of 250 or more people through the end of March, marking the first time he has applied so-called social distancing practices to the entire state of California.

Newsom issues order allowing California to take over hotels for coronavirus patients:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...g-requirements

Old 03-13-2020, 05:28 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,144,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
Italy is now threatening homicide charges with up to 21-years in prison for breach of quarantine - at last!

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...micide-charges

In the meanwhile, brain-dead leadership of 3 California counties (Sacramento, Placer and Yolo) had removed self quarantine requirements for those who were exposed to COVID-19. That's right - they can now walk everywhere and are encouraged to do so. They only are expected to self-quarantine if they start to show symptoms. They, basically, admitted they can't control the situation and are switching from virus containment to helpless mitigation of the epidemic. Time to bring National Guard and the first isolated should be the ones who issued these orders....isolate them for the rest of their lives.

In the meanwhile, German study came out showing that people start spreading the virus, shedding heavy amounts of it, way BEFORE they start to show any symptoms (this was known earlier, though, just another study that proves already long-established fact)
Good luck.
Italy can do anything they want but it's bluff. They are not going to send thousands of people to prison

As for California, administrative order to self quarantine is not legally binding as such it means nothing. Unless Judge issue an order for me to stay quarantine I would just ignore health department as they have no legal authority to suspend my personal liberty

Old 03-13-2020, 05:32 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,144,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Newsom is certainly being proactive with this. I didn't know that he had it in him.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom released a sweeping executive order on Thursday that allows the state to commandeer hotels and medical facilities to treat coronavirus patients and permits government officials to hold teleconferences in private without violating open meeting laws.
Newsom issued the order hours after he called for the cancellation of gatherings of 250 or more people through the end of March, marking the first time he has applied so-called social distancing practices to the entire state of California.

Newsom issues order allowing California to take over hotels for coronavirus patients:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...g-requirements
I expect there soon to be lawsuits. If I owned hotels for sure be calling my lawyers and have them draft a lawsuit. Unless and until martial law is declared, his action is likely unconstitutional. Also the 250 order only apply to those events that require City license. It do not apply to free speech as such if 300 people decide to get together on a sidewalk and protest, there is nothing cops can do about it

Old 03-13-2020, 05:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
Italy is now threatening homicide charges with up to 21-years in prison for breach of quarantine - at last!

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...micide-charges

In the meanwhile, brain-dead leadership of 3 California counties (Sacramento, Placer and Yolo) had removed self quarantine requirements for those who were exposed to COVID-19. That's right - they can now walk everywhere and are encouraged to do so. They only are expected to self-quarantine if they start to show symptoms. They, basically, admitted they can't control the situation and are switching from virus containment to helpless mitigation of the epidemic. Time to bring National Guard and the first isolated should be the ones who issued these orders....isolate them for the rest of their lives.

In the meanwhile, German study came out showing that people start spreading the virus, shedding heavy amounts of it, way BEFORE they start to show any symptoms (this was known earlier, though, just another study that proves already long-established fact)
Good luck.
Thank God we are not Italy. It is not time to bring in the National Guard or anyone else. Come on relax a little. The brain dead are those who are over reacting to this. Of course we should all use common sense, take the necessary precautions, and if we may think we have been exposed it is fair to say people should stay away from others but forcing quarantines is really going to far.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yeek! Today we just experienced the biggest market drop since 1987. I can't stand to look.

Stocks dive on coronavirus fears. It’s their worst day since 1987:
https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...ancial-markets
I can't believe someone would actually think the stock market drop was just simply a result of an adjustment that was due. Of course I agree with you on this, most of the market drop has to do with the panic and all the businesses that are being affected by this craziness. How can anyone think the drop was due to happen anyway. When that happens it is usually a few day drop, not a 2 week or more drop.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I think the market is reacting to the oil war, the virus plus the thing was due for a correction. I think it’ll settle down but we may not see another bull market for a while. I see many stocks at a one year low, so the opportunity is there.

We were traveling in Asia when SARS was going on. When we got off the plane in Hong Kong, someone was waiting for the plane and had something that looked like a radar gun taking the temperature of all the people coming off the plane. If they had a fever, they were taken out and put into quarantine. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that here. That or people keeling over from fear.
Good post: yes, a few things have affected the market but I think the virus is probably number 1. AS for how long this nonsense is going to continue, I am guessing a couple more months. One thing that isn't helping, but is probably necessary in the daily briefings. On one side we want to be informed; on the other it is just reminding us more and more of the presence of the virus and scaring more people. The more it is thrown in front of us, the less likely we are to look for a silver lining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California