Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2021, 03:34 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Seeing that some continue to focus on Florida vs. California, here's something you might want to read. It appears Florida's numbers are facing new scrutiny. Under reported numbers. Oh my!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-c...090058319.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
If you read it and ignore the political twist, the information shows no real issue.

"Excess deaths were at 21 percent nationwide for 2020, according to the CDC; Florida saw a 15.5 percent rate of excess deaths for the period that Tatar studied. California’s excess death rate was also 15 percent, despite that state’s governor, Gavin Newsom, having enacted much more stringent restrictions than did DeSantis in Florida." from the above link.
Furthermore...

No dog in the fight, but its my belief that desantis is going to have the scrutiny turned up to 10 in the next year or so as he gains popularity.

I dont blame FL for not calling a death a covid death unless it has a positive test, wouldn't you want to be sure?

Quote:
The issue was further complicated because each state has its own death-counting methodology. “Some states classify a death as due to COVID if a positive molecular test was obtained, while other states allow the death to be classified as due to COVID if there is a suspicion that it was caused by COVID (even without a molecular test),” Weinberger wrote in an email to Yahoo News.

Polymerase chain reaction tests — another name for the molecular tests Weinberger referenced — are the most reliable way to tell if a person, dead or living, has been infected with the coronavirus.

In the case of Florida, the researchers say, 4,924 excess deaths should have been counted as resulting from COVID-19 but for the most part were ruled as having been caused by something else, thus lowering Florida’s coronavirus fatality count. That’s possible because people who die from COVID-19 often have comorbidities, such as diabetes and asthma. That leaves some discretion for medical examiners, who have sometimes struggled with conflicting science and been subject to political pressures during the pandemic.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:45 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This information was shared when the stories started to come out last Dec and Jan. But here you go:

Did shutting down outdoor dining contribute to California's COVID-19 surge?
No access due to the paywall.

From the link, "The "escape valve" theory makes sense to Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease expert at UCSF.

"When the new lockdown came down, a friend of mine said we've basically been under lockdown in San Francisco since March," Gandhi said. "So I think the dance of opening and closing elsewhere was a necessary dance, since it allowed people economic relief and social relief in between waves. "

There's no data about this. It's apparently Dr. Gandi's theory.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:48 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

From the link, "The "escape valve" theory makes sense to Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease expert at UCSF.

"When the new lockdown came down, a friend of mine said we've basically been under lockdown in San Francisco since March," Gandhi said. "So I think the dance of opening and closing elsewhere was a necessary dance, since it allowed people economic relief and social relief in between waves. "

SF Gate doesn't have a paywall, it's a free site. Just click the little "x" to close the window to sign up for email updates....

What kind of data did you exactly want to see? You asked for a link supporting that opinion, which it does, not data. Changing the goal posts now?

Old 03-30-2021, 04:49 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,929 times
Quote:

Every thing is pretty much a theory except it is a problem and causing deaths. beyond that 1 year is not enough time to do large valid testing. Is it bad, yes, is it going away or herd immunity coming or will the vaccines end it? No one knows yet. I do hope it goes away one way or another.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
SF Gate doesn't have a paywall, it's a free site. Just click the little "x" to close the window to sign up for email updates....
"Stay informed, entertained. To keep reading this article, sign up for a daily digest of Bay Area news." (I don't live in the Bay Area, so why would I sign up for a daily digest just to read an article?)

Quote:
You asked for a link supporting that opinion, which it does, not data.
I asked a different poster for a link that supports HIS opinion.

Quote:
Changing the goal posts now?
No one's changing a goal post. Nice try, though.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Every thing is pretty much a theory except it is a problem and causing deaths. beyond that 1 year is not enough time to do large valid testing.
And certainly not a news article from December, 2020, during which time the virus surge first occurred.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:25 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
"Stay informed, entertained. To keep reading this article, sign up for a daily digest of Bay Area news." (I don't live in the Bay Area, so why would I sign up for a daily digest just to read an article?)
What? I'm telling you to click the "x" to close that window that asks you to sign up so you can read the article. You don't have to enter in your email and sign up to read the article, just click an "x"...that's it. I can't believe you thought, or pretended, that was a paywall. There is NO paywall on SF Gate.
Quote:
I asked a different poster for a link that supports HIS opinion.
And I provided two links that does so what difference does it make?
Quote:
]No one's changing a goal post. Nice try, though.
Actually you are because you didn't ask for data. So I will ask AGAIN, exactly what kind of data do you want to see?

Old 03-30-2021, 06:52 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,686,206 times
The NBC Nightly News tonight reports a surge in cases is happening all over the country. Here we go again.

And no. I didn't make it up. I watch Lester Holt on NBC News at 5:30 pm (pst)

Old 03-31-2021, 11:31 AM

6,723 posts, read 6,722,163 times
Texas deaths, cases, and positive test rate down since mask mandate lifted. Their weekly per capita death rate is now lower than ours.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...lytrendsdeaths

Old 03-31-2021, 12:05 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Covid was the third leading cause of death among Americans in 2020, behind heart disease and cancer

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/31/covi...-cdc-says.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California