Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2021, 02:27 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times

Advertisements

It's very odd. I don't know which news source to believe.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:42 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
^for a strain that is dominant now and is supposedly so much more transmissible cases are sure dropping like a rock.
Scroll back.

"UC San Francisco epidemiologist Dr. George Rutherford said one of the reasons why cases are dropping so fast in California “is because of naturally acquired immunity, mostly in Southern California.” He estimated that 50% of Los Angeles County residents have been infected with the virus at some point."

Old 02-24-2021, 02:42 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
All you have to do is use logic, which I wrote yesterday in this thread. I think what people here are doing is believing what they want to believe over facts.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:43 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Scroll back.

"UC San Francisco epidemiologist Dr. George Rutherford said one of the reasons why cases are dropping so fast in California “is because of naturally acquired immunity, mostly in Southern California.” He estimated that 50% of Los Angeles County residents have been infected with the virus at some point."
So then why are cases dropping statewide like in Northern CA too?

Old 02-24-2021, 02:55 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
So then why are cases dropping statewide like in Northern CA too?
Most likely, as has been speculated, immunity from either vaccines or those who've had COVID-19. And maybe people really are being more careful lately. (I agree with the poster who said that we all know a lot more people who've had COVID now.)

I could read only the following reasons from the S.F. Chronicle article, before it cut me off: human behavior, seasonality, vaccinations.

Key reasons coronavirus cases are plunging across the Bay Area and California:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...s-15964640.php

California deaths high even as virus case rates plummet:
https://katv.com/news/coronavirus/ca...-rates-plummet

Old 02-24-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Most likely, as has been speculated, immunity from either vaccines or those who've had COVID-19. And maybe people really are being more careful lately. (I agree with the poster who said that we all know a lot more people who've had COVID now.)

I could read only the following reasons from the S.F. Chronicle article, before it cut me off: human behavior, seasonality, vaccinations.

Key reasons coronavirus cases are plunging across the Bay Area and California:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...s-15964640.php

California deaths high even as virus case rates plummet:
https://katv.com/news/coronavirus/ca...-rates-plummet
Just hit select all (ctrl + a) then copy real quick and paste the article into Word, that's how I read the SF Chronicle and LA Times articles. Anyways, it basically says it "might" be this or that but they can't really say. My point was for all the hype this new variant is getting by the media it doesn't really appear to be actually making anything worse as things continue to dramatically improve.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:19 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Around here, people don't seem to be deliberately acting more carefully.

Vaccines are easier to get in Northern California.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Around here, people don't seem to be deliberately acting more carefully.

Vaccines are easier to get in Northern California.
Vaccination rates are a little higher in the smaller Bay Area Counties but LA/OC/SD is pretty much the same as SF, Alameda, and Santa Clara Counties.

And Marin County residents have been stealing vaccine appointments from minorities of course, no shocker there. Marin residents misuse access codes meant for Black, Latino communities to get COVID-19 vaccines

Old 02-24-2021, 03:50 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,877 times
Quote:
Vaccination rates are a little higher in the smaller Bay Area Counties but LA/OC/SD is pretty much the same as SF, Alameda, and Santa Clara Counties.

And Marin County residents have been stealing vaccine appointments from minorities of course, no shocker there. Marin residents misuse access codes meant for Black, Latino communities to get COVID-19 vaccines

My parents live in L.A. County: mom is 63 and dad is 68. My dad was able to qualify for a senior citizen vaccine and my mom can't just plainly because she's under 65. Someone told her to pose as Hispanic (my parents are from India) and see if they'll give it to her but she's too ethical to take that route.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:34 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Quote:
Just hit select all (ctrl + a) then copy real quick and paste the article into Word, that's how I read the SF Chronicle and LA Times articles. Anyways, it basically says it "might" be this or that but they can't really say. My point was for all the hype this new variant is getting by the media it doesn't really appear to be actually making anything worse as things continue to dramatically improve.
On an Apple computer using Safari, I just go to "reader view" as soon as I can, and it posts the whole article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California