Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2021, 10:39 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Let me know how you feel in 10 years and I'll think about it.

I think if I was younger, I would've been more hesitant. Who knows? Maybe it makes everyone sterile and population drops off a cliff because of it. I'm not really concerned on the long term effects right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
So you don’t hear Gates whispering in your ear? No Windows shutdown tone when you go to sleep?

You get used to it. As a bonus, he gives you subliminal stock tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I went in to a school where I occasionally teach and had the pleasure of introducing myself to the new interim principal. He is there courtesy of the previous principal contracting "long covid" a few months ago. Now he literally cannot work a desk job that requires no physical fitness, with no prospects for recovery.

The thought of being temporarily or permanently disabled is reason enough for me to vax.

The choice for me wasn't much of one. Eventually it will be required for my work so there's really no point fighting it. Right now it seems there's a lot more grumbling over the testing mandate, which I totally don't understand. Then again, some people need things to complain about. Also, past experience of having little kids sneeze right in my face as I tie their shoes led me to believe getting vaccinated was at least as essential as getting a flu shot.

If it hadn't been convenient, I would still be waiting too. That was the big seller for me because I'm lazy and don't want to go fight lines and crowds for a stupid shot.

Old 03-28-2021, 12:58 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
I’m definitely not an anti-vaxxer, I just got the shingles vaccine last year. However, all I’ve heard and read is basically don’t think anything will change once you have the vaccine.

I’m hearing about “vaccine passports” that would allow you to attend theater, sporting events, etc. but there are no approved vaccines, just emergency authorizations. The FDA fact sheets even say this. I’m not in the camp that thinks Bill Gates is trying to chip us, but I’ll wait a while and see. It doesn’t seem to make a huge difference.

I get this is a personal choice and I wouldn’t fault anyone for taking it (it’s none of my business). I’m just not see a huge difference. At least not for me. I’ll take a look at your link.
First, thanks for the laugh out loud moment in your previous post. I'm glad you figured out that my comment was in jest. Kudos Count me in as one who is not an anti-vaxer. I'm just hesitant still on this one.

This vaccine passport you mention could become a reality and I know some around here wold be pleased as punch to have it happen. It's been a couple of weeks but I did read an article related to that very thing. The first thought in my head was Why give everyone a card? Why not just put a chip in their neck? Some might think that to be a ludicrous idea but if it's mentioned by someone now, the idea may catch on and it will be another issue people will be fighting over. The jury's still out on mandatory vaccinations.

Wise decision on getting the shingles vaccine, though. I remember my mother having those and it was painful and ugly to look at too. Most of us had chicken pox as a child but it's puzzling why, as adults, some of us get shingles and others don't.

I appreciate you taking my previous comment in jest as it's exactly how I intended it.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:01 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
First, thanks for the laugh out loud moment in your previous post. I'm glad you figured out that my comment was in jest. Kudos Count me in as one who is not an anti-vaxer. I'm just hesitant still on this one.

This vaccine passport you mention could become a reality and I know some around here wold be pleased as punch to have it happen. It's been a couple of weeks but I did read an article related to that very thing. The first thought in my head was Why give everyone a card? Why not just put a chip in their neck? Some might think that to be a ludicrous idea but if it's mentioned by someone now, the idea may catch on and it will be another issue people will be fighting over. The jury's still out on mandatory vaccinations.

Wise decision on getting the shingles vaccine, though. I remember my mother having those and it was painful and ugly to look at too. Most of us had chicken pox as a child but it's puzzling why, as adults, some of us get shingles and others don't.

I appreciate you taking my previous comment in jest as it's exactly how I intended it.
I got chicken pox as an adult (thanks to my daughter), so they say I’m at higher risk for shingles, which is why I got the vaccine.

If they think a passport will make me get it, they’re mistaken. I’m extremely boring, so I don’t care about sporting events or theater. I rarely dined in a restaurant before all this, so I don’t care about that.

My immune system is top notch, so I’ll take my chances. In the meantime, I’m thinking of ordering a new mask from Amazon. You send them a photo of yourself and they turn it into a mask. So you end up wearing a mask while looking like you’re not. The fun I could have with that makes it worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Upload...th+phot&sr=8-3

Old 03-28-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I got chicken pox as an adult (thanks to my daughter), so they say I’m at higher risk for shingles, which is why I got the vaccine.

If they think a passport will make me get it, they’re mistaken. I’m extremely boring, so I don’t care about sporting events or theater. I rarely dined in a restaurant before all this, so I don’t care about that.

My immune system is top notch, so I’ll take my chances. In the meantime, I’m thinking of ordering a new mask from Amazon. You send them a photo of yourself and they turn it into a mask. So you end up wearing a mask while looking like you’re not. The fun I could have with that makes it worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Upload...th+phot&sr=8-3
Wow! That is some mask. Maybe it will catch on become the popular choice. Women can even choose the color of lipstick and maybe have some of their wrinkles removed. Better than photoshop. LOL

I too had chicken pox as a child. My children had them but I never got sick again with them but I'm also at risk for shingles. And considering my mother had them, there's a higher possibility I may as well. I sure hope not, though. Those I know who have gotten shingles say it's probably one of the worst pain they've ever experienced. The shingles vaccine is one I would definitely consider and maybe even this year. Until I can be 100% sure I wouldn't have any adverse reaction to the Covid vaccine, I'm not willing to risk it. Once it's inside my body, there's no way to remove it.

Wishing you and your family continued good health, Mike.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Wow! That is some mask. Maybe it will catch on become the popular choice. Women can even choose the color of lipstick and maybe have some of their wrinkles removed. Better than photoshop. LOL

I too had chicken pox as a child. My children had them but I never got sick again with them but I'm also at risk for shingles. And considering my mother had them, there's a higher possibility I may as well. I sure hope not, though. Those I know who have gotten shingles say it's probably one of the worst pain they've ever experienced. The shingles vaccine is one I would definitely consider and maybe even this year. Until I can be 100% sure I wouldn't have any adverse reaction to the Covid vaccine, I'm not willing to risk it. Once it's inside my body, there's no way to remove it.

Wishing you and your family continued good health, Mike.
If I had to make a decision now on the vaccine, I’d say no.

Wishing you and yours the same!

Old 03-28-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
If I had to make a decision now on the vaccine, I’d say no.

Wishing you and yours the same!
Thanks.

Question for you . . . How do you feel about the J&J vaccine? One shot supposed to be just as effective as the two-shot method.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

Question for you . . . How do you feel about the J&J vaccine? One shot supposed to be just as effective as the two-shot method.
Same as the others. It’s one thing to say once you get it, you can remove the mask and go back to normal. Instead, there’s no change, for the most part. I don’t see the point in taking it. And I still haven’t seen enough data to know if it’s safe.

I’ll take my chances without it.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:08 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Here's what UTLA is saying:

So, yes. Their position is 6ft. distancing is right and 3ft. is just politically expedient. I happen to agree with them but all this stuff goes out the window in practice anyway. Trust me. I'm seeing it already. The state should just ditch the distancing requirement and stop playing around because they're clearly not married to it anymore.
Do we want to do Covid or do education and socialization?

Old 03-28-2021, 06:36 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Do we want to do Covid or do education and socialization?

Not sure what you're asking.
I'm for policy making that makes sense and the state has suffered a shortage of it for over a year now.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:54 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Death Rates per Million Over 65:
California 7,318
Florida 6,106

Death Rates per Million Under 65
California 454
Florida 332

Florida has a slightly higher overall death rate due to 21% of its population being 65+ vs. 15% in California, but age adjusted their death rate is significantly lower in spite of far fewer COVID restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California