Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2021, 05:36 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Long COVID isn't rare, so right off the bat that 'expert' is wrong. Furthermore, vs. the seasonal flu, which hasn't impacted the economy in maybe 50 years, the much more contagious COVID-19 is dragging down the economy with no end in sight. I would not bet that whenever medical advances make it easier to affordably prevent or treat COVID that enough people will agree to use them.

People just don't want to deal with reality.
He could be referring to Long COVID in the vaccinated population.

People like yourself have a different reality when it comes to fears and risk.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:57 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Yes, he might mean that, but if it's 10% of breakthrough infections causing Long-COVID (and I haven't heard for example 1 in 500), that's also not rare.

"Different reality" is whatever to me. A reality nobody can disagree with is that the economy is struggling. I think most of us agree that the virus is a factor. Some of us think it's the biggest factor. It's like a mild version of the argument I'd make to people last year who'd say there never should've been a lockdown - things grind to a halt when people won't go places to spend money and won't work. How in the heck can that be changed without further reducing the actual risk of catching COVID-19?

Old 11-12-2021, 08:21 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
The better way, I say, is to defeat the virus as soon as possible.
What if, like the Spanish Flu, it can't be done, and it just have to burn itself out into strains of seasonal colds and flus?

Old 11-12-2021, 09:30 PM

Then life won't be good and people should be careful (N95 masks, getting booster shots on time, and so on). I don't see why better vaccines and treatments won't happen - news of optimistic, very early results is already trickling out - and if somehow they don't, I don't foresee the dominant variant becoming nicer than Delta.

Old 11-12-2021, 11:02 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,572 times
Quote:
Then life won't be good and people should be careful (N95 masks, getting booster shots on time, and so on). I don't see why better vaccines and treatments won't happen - news of optimistic, very early results is already trickling out - and if somehow they don't, I don't foresee the dominant variant becoming nicer than Delta.

Here's the real reason for the economic problems: https://youtu.be/c6go0actiis

You keep talking about Covid but what about the rampant crime, paying people not to work, and hyperinflation?

Old 11-12-2021, 11:14 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
We hear you. However, it beats the response of "Why are you clinging to the pandemic so hard?" when one questions a talk show host's claim that masks are worthless in terms of prevention of spread of the virus.
San diego never bought into the mask hysteria because a mask made out of someone's t shirt does not help. Fear is quite the motivator to keep the media churning. Enjoy the mask wearing. The rest of the us stopped the nonsense.

Old 11-13-2021, 05:25 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
San diego never bought into the mask hysteria because a mask made out of someone's t shirt does not help.
Angry, you keep posting, over and over, examples of people wearing "diapers" on their faces. TBH, I haven't seen anyone wearing a bandana-type mask since the pandemic first started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Fear is quite the motivator to keep the media churning. Enjoy the mask wearing. The rest of the us stopped the nonsense.
Sorry; for those of us who live in L.A. County, we have to wear a mask inside most stores and restaurants, and we have to wear one at work.

And the idea that anyone who follows protocol is somehow caving to "fear" and believes in "nonsense" is ludicrous.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:58 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Angry, you keep posting, over and over, examples of people wearing "diapers" on their faces. TBH, I haven't seen anyone wearing a bandana-type mask since the pandemic first started.

Sorry; for those of us who live in L.A. County, we have to wear a mask inside most stores and restaurants, and we have to wear one at work.

And the idea that anyone who follows protocol is somehow caving to "fear" and believes in "nonsense" is ludicrous.
The only way it's gonna stop is mass civil disobedience for ya all up there. Otherwise enjoy the Protocol which is simply control.

Old 11-13-2021, 09:26 AM

At least if critical, call it "desperation." Leaders want things back to normal and will try mandating irritating methods of limited effectiveness.

I do see bandanas once in a while, but for all you trying to ridicule masks, most people are wearing professional-looking face coverings, which became cheaper and much more available by early summer 2020. Do they help much? If they fit well, maybe.

Also, some businesses now feel comfortable specifying what types of face coverings are acceptable on the premises. Surely to them, bandanas are one of the first to forbid.

Last edited by goodheathen; 11-13-2021 at 10:20 AM..

Old 11-13-2021, 09:38 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Yes, he might mean that, but if it's 10% of breakthrough infections causing Long-COVID (and I haven't heard for example 1 in 500), that's also not rare.

"Different reality" is whatever to me. A reality nobody can disagree with is that the economy is struggling. I think most of us agree that the virus is a factor. Some of us think it's the biggest factor. It's like a mild version of the argument I'd make to people last year who'd say there never should've been a lockdown - things grind to a halt when people won't go places to spend money and won't work. How in the heck can that be changed without further reducing the actual risk of catching COVID-19?
If you’re defining breakthrough infections as the CDC is, hospitalizations/deaths, then yes it is rare. And even then it’s more likely going to be the same high risk groups it’s always been.

Get vaccinated and/or your booster and stop worrying about catching Covid. You’re going to get it at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California