Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 10:33 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise from the land of Furher Cody. Talk about kicking people while they're down and using COVID as a cash cow for public coffers.

Santa Clara County wanted to stop COVID. So it fined businesses 50 times more than any other county

In the year since the Bay Area issued the nation’s first public health order to fight the pandemic, with businesses struggling from a seemingly endless series of capacity restrictions and forced closings, the county has fined nearly 400 business owners like Dubon a whopping total of $4.9 million in civil penalties for breaching coronavirus restrictions.

In contrast, six other Bay Area counties that issue fines for similar infractions have collected a combined $82,000 from 68 businesses in all, according to an analysis of data obtained by this news organization.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:51 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Death Rates per Million Over 65:
California 7,318
Florida 6,106

Death Rates per Million Under 65
California 454
Florida 332

Florida has a slightly higher overall death rate due to 21% of its population being 65+ vs. 15% in California, but age adjusted their death rate is significantly lower in spite of far fewer COVID restrictions.
In 2018 / 19 LA experienced an outbreak of endemic typhus ... 202 cases ... while Texas also had a smaller outbreak, Florida had none. Zero. As did most of the rest of the nation.

Question: was the LA outbreak Newsom’s failure? Was Florida’s absence of cases DeSantis’ success? Hmmm ...

Old 03-29-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulemutt View Post
in 2018 / 19 la experienced an outbreak of endemic typhus ... 202 cases ... While texas also had a smaller outbreak, florida had none. Zero. As did most of the rest of the nation.

question: Was the la outbreak newsom’s failure? Was florida’s absence of cases desantis’ success? hmmm ...
yes and yes

Old 03-29-2021, 11:02 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise from the land of Furher Cody. Talk about kicking people while they're down and using COVID as a cash cow for public coffers.

Santa Clara County wanted to stop COVID. So it fined businesses 50 times more than any other county

In the year since the Bay Area issued the nation’s first public health order to fight the pandemic, with businesses struggling from a seemingly endless series of capacity restrictions and forced closings, the county has fined nearly 400 business owners like Dubon a whopping total of $4.9 million in civil penalties for breaching coronavirus restrictions.

In contrast, six other Bay Area counties that issue fines for similar infractions have collected a combined $82,000 from 68 businesses in all, according to an analysis of data obtained by this news organization.

Fining businesses for playing "non-ambient music" keeps us all safe and secure, don't you know?
In the absences of that, it would be total anarchy.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
yes and yes
Explain ... I’m going to love this

Typhus has been endemic to LA since before LA was LA. I think, in fact, there has never been a recorded year without cases occurring. A 10 year chart for your perusal Department of Public Health - Acute Communicable Disease Control

Florida rarely sees typhus. 3 years out of the last 20, for example. FLHealthCHARTS Data Viewer

Typhus is carried by a type of flea most associated with rodents such as raccoons, rats and opossums ... also feral cats. Science knows a very great deal about murine typhus ... yet has no explanation why it is endemic to only certain few places, most strongly in the LA basin ... or why some years it explodes here, while other years it wanes ... and at the same time it doesn’t even appear at all under similar venues.

So explain how you would credit DeSantis and blame Newsom.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:10 AM

Lol, I don't actually care. Awful comparison to begin with. I just wanted too see you respond with an essay and a bunch of links....and right on cue

Old 03-29-2021, 12:23 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Lol, I don't actually care. Awful comparison to begin with. I just wanted too see you respond with an essay and a bunch of links....and right on cue
I don't care about any of that but I would like to know what Florida information has to do with us? Like we don't have enough of our own issues to deal with, we have to drag comparisons with others states into the chatter? Must be a slow news day in California.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
More backstroke from you. Your response was false. Whether you “care” or not.

TheseGoTo11 has some obsession with comparing Florida to California. But truth be told, science hasn’t yet learned enough about this Covid virus for anonymous armchair analysts to credibly argue why one place is different than another ... and by extension, whether one governor is right/wrong over another beyond the obvious: less contact between people means less opportunity for transmission. What best effects distancing and how to balance against other interests such as economic or education is mostly still guesswork.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
More backstroke from you. Your response was false. Whether you “care” or not.

TheseGoTo11 has some obsession with comparing Florida to California. But truth be told, science hasn’t yet learned enough about this Covid virus for anonymous armchair analysts to credibly argue why one place is different than another ... and by extension, whether one governor is right/wrong over another beyond the obvious: less contact between people means less opportunity for transmission. What best effects distancing and how to balance against other interests such as economic or education is mostly still guesswork.
Okay? Again I don't care whether you think my response is "false" about a stupid, irrelevant comparison either way. But maybe you can write another essay and provide some more links how it's "false" lol.

Then where should we compare CA to?

Old 03-29-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Okay? Again I don't care whether you think my response is "false" about a stupid, irrelevant comparison either way. But maybe you can write another essay and provide some more links how it's "false" lol.

Then where should we compare CA to?
“Stupid and irrelevant” is why you responded, eh? Lol. And I don’t “think [your] response is false” ... it IS false. Nor was my response an “essay” by any definition. And links are how we validate things here. Etc.

Where should we compare CA to? ... no place. “We”, anonymous nobodies here, really aren’t qualified to attempt meaningful comparisons. Conversational conjecture and musing can be interesting and thought provoking ... but the kinds of declarations and assertions and conclusion-drawing that’s been polluting these threads is just mostly nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California