Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2023, 08:23 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Buckshots shop was in Spartanburg, not Gaffney. I just caught that.One fo the Guy Roofing buildings.

Yeah, I guess you're right. It's very northern Spartanburg, but it's not Gaffney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 10:55 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
I think he technically was in Boiling Springs in David Pearson's old shop.

Old 06-15-2023, 11:12 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,898,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I think he technically was in Boiling Springs in David Pearson's old shop.
Nope. He moved out of that shop to here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0195...8192?entry=ttu

The front yard has has some grading done due to road construction, but this is where his shop was, as well as Phoenix Racing at one time. There was another small team there, but it escapes me who they were.

And Xfinity driver Jeremy Clements shjop is only a few minutes closer into Spartanburg as well. I would post a link to that like i did before, but tyou cant see anything for the big honking motorhome and trailer in street view. I know theres another Im forgetting about, but I think it isnt even up into X, maybe ARCA. The upstate of SC is full of racing hostory.

Last edited by UpstateJohn; 06-15-2023 at 11:25 AM..

Old 06-15-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Nope. He moved out of that shop to here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0195...8192?entry=ttu

The front yard has has some grading done due to road construction, but this is where his shop was, as well as Phoenix Racing at one time. There was another small team there, but it escapes me who they were.

And Xfinity driver Jeremy Clements shjop is only a few minutes closer into Spartanburg as well. I would post a link to that like i did before, but tyou cant see anything for the big honking motorhome and trailer in street view. I know theres another Im forgetting about, but I think it isnt even up into X, maybe ARCA. The upstate of SC is full of racing hostory.

That's the building, no question. used to be a couple of shurbberies out front in the shape of "00".. And, I would have thought that was technically Boiling Springs as well in that area.

We've talked about someone who used to run out of Simpsonville/Fountain Inn there by Danny's Muffler(?) kinda across from Cannon Memorial Park. I forget who that was, but they ran during the 'boom days' of the late 90's to early 2000's.

Old 06-15-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That's the building, no question. used to be a couple of shurbberies out front in the shape of "00".. And, I would have thought that was technically Boiling Springs as well in that area.

We've talked about someone who used to run out of Simpsonville/Fountain Inn there by Danny's Muffler(?) kinda across from Cannon Memorial Park. I forget who that was, but they ran during the 'boom days' of the late 90's to early 2000's.
I think when Phoenix bought it, after it sat empty for a couple years they pulled those up.

Shane Hall drove the car, I believe it was Stegall Racing (Of Stegall Mobile Homes) Im pretty sure one of the cars Jason Keller drove came out of that shop, but I cnat say for sure, the nthere is/was Laughlin Racing up the road that built a crapload of chassis for teams in all series of racing, and of course Mike Laughlin, Jr had his shop there when he was racing and Sr retired. Louis Smith, Randy Porter ,Ken alexander,

Cotton Owens, Bud Moore, David Pearson, Toby, oh whats his last name from Easley, young Colby Howard, he and my youngest son went to the same day care, several others who Im too busy right now to think of right now, plus those I mentioned already are from the upstate SC

Last edited by UpstateJohn; 06-15-2023 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-15-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I think when Phoenix bought it, after it sat empty for a couple years they pulled those up.

Shane Hall drove the car, I believe it was Stegall Racing (Of Stegall Mobile Homes) Im pretty sure one of the cars Jason Keller drove came out of that shop, but I cnat say for sure, the nthere is/was Laughlin Racing up the road that built a crapload of chassis for teams in all series of racing, and of course Mike Laughlin, Jr had his shop there when he was racing and Sr retired. Louis Smith, Randy Porter ,Ken alexander,

Cotton Owens, Bud Moore, David Pearson, Toby, oh whats his last name from Easley, young Colby Howard, he and my youngest son went to the same day care, several others who Im too busy right now to think of right now, plus those I mentioned already are from the upstate SC

And Dick Brooks, who I always forget about. Who's the one now.. Drives the 51.. Jeremy Clements.

And.. Not sure I've mentioned this here before.. A cousin, give or take of mine, via marriage.. Don Duckworth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p0gQcXXBKw

Drove 1 race in 1955 at Darlington.. Was in a coma for several weeks afterwards. And he wound up dying about 15 years later.. In a car wreck.. In Gray Court, I believe.. I've heard the story before, he was driving to a basketball game one of his kids was in or something. I just don't recall the details.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...vans-duckworth

His wife, Miriam, was my first cousin, twice removed. Obviously, my not being born until '73.. I didn't meet either of them. And with my grandfather from the Hanna side dying very young (36 I think).. Until I started digging, we really didn't know much about the family history.

Old 06-15-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And Dick Brooks, who I always forget about. Who's the one now.. Drives the 51.. Jeremy Clements.

And.. Not sure I've mentioned this here before.. A cousin, give or take of mine, via marriage.. Don Duckworth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p0gQcXXBKw

Drove 1 race in 1955 at Darlington.. Was in a coma for several weeks afterwards. And he wound up dying about 15 years later.. In a car wreck.. In Gray Court, I believe.. I've heard the story before, he was driving to a basketball game one of his kids was in or something. I just don't recall the details.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...vans-duckworth

His wife, Miriam, was my first cousin, twice removed. Obviously, my not being born until '73.. I didn't meet either of them. And with my grandfather from the Hanna side dying very young (36 I think).. Until I started digging, we really didn't know much about the family history.
Yes Dick Brooks, thats who I was trying to remember! Clements does drive the 51. I remember you talking about Don Duckworth before. His family is from my area, I remember his father fondly but I was very young when he passed away. They are buiried right up the road from me, on the other side of the road from where my Dad is buried.

Old 06-15-2023, 07:04 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Way back we would walk from our house to Bud Moore’s shop. Lots of things have changed in the business since then.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Way back we would walk from our house to Bud Moore’s shop. Lots of things have changed in the business since then.
On the rare chance we got to go to The Beacon, or some other restaraunt in town, Dad would always drive by there. Converse College owns the newest building BMR was last in. Stapleton42 on Youtube has one video of touring old shops aroud here, but most if not all of them werent "open to the public" and are privatley owned businesses now. I think BMRs old shop was on there.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
On the rare chance we got to go to The Beacon, or some other restaraunt in town, Dad would always drive by there. Converse College owns the newest building BMR was last in. Stapleton42 on Youtube has one video of touring old shops aroud here, but most if not all of them werent "open to the public" and are privatley owned businesses now. I think BMRs old shop was on there.
Brain fart! BMR only had 1 "shop" but 2 buildings. Converse owns both. Back to regualr programming.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing