Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2023, 09:49 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,836,609 times

Advertisements

I agree about Hocevar. If you are just looking where he finished the race, then you weren't watching. He did very well for his first time in a Cup car and first time at that track. He was very polished in his post accident interview. I hope he gets another chance soon and is able to finish well. I believe he will garner attention from Cup owners next season.

I feel LaJoie did worse than Hocevar, considering LaJoie is much more experienced and had the better equipment and team.

Agree that the race was boring up to the last 20 or so laps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 10:07 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I agree about Hocevar. If you are just looking where he finished the race, then you weren't watching. He did very well for his first time in a Cup car and first time at that track. He was very polished in his post accident interview. I hope he gets another chance soon and is able to finish well. I believe he will garner attention from Cup owners next season.

I feel LaJoie did worse than Hocevar, considering LaJoie is much more experienced and had the better equipment and team.

Agree that the race was boring up to the last 20 or so laps.

I don't think either did poorly. Hocevar wasn't setting the world on fire before his rotor exploded, but he wasn't embarrassing himself, either. For something we generally see maybe 2 - 3 times a year, there were that many in this race.. Kinda curious about that.. And in the Busch race, Hemrick's car caught on fire due to the brakes! I know, two totally different setups and packages on the brakes.. Not linking them, just saying.. It was a bad weekend for brakes!

LaJoie.. about as expected, maybe a touch worse.. I think, had he been in a Hendrick car at a better track for them.. Say Martinsville.. We might have seen him be more competitive. Hendrick as a whole missed the setup. Byron and Larson were able to recover. That's.. A lot to ask of a fill-in driver. And, remember, Bowman and his team never figured it out, either.

Hocevar has a bad tendency to be a dart without feathers at times if you watch the truck races. Kid will be in Cup at some point, but.. Don't rush him. He needs.. This year in Trucks, then a year or two in Xfinity.

Honestly.. I'd say the race was boring even at the final 20 laps. Just seems no one could get by whoever was in the lead. Did we really even see a competitive pass for the lead? I think there had to have been one on the restarts.. Certainly for a moment/lap at least.. But.. I can't recall a pass for the lead sticking on track.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:23 AM

One more comment about Gateway. Mike Joy, twice said that the track was sold out. Even mentioned this was the third consecutive sell out.

Does the track consider 75% of seats filled a sell out? The one grandstand on the front stretch looked full, but the one, I believe, on turn 1 and 2 had a considerable amount of empty spaces in the grandstands.

Old 06-05-2023, 02:26 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
FWIW.. The Portland Busch race was.. Quite good.
Agreed. Trucks or Xfinity on road courses always entertain.

Quite a bit of talk this weekend about Larson's hero or zero status. 2 wins, 6 top 5, 6 top ten, but 5 DNF. The same as Wallace, Dillon, and Gragson.

I thought Blaney had a chance until about the 2/3rds mark. He has the points lead this week.

Old 06-05-2023, 05:29 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,954,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
....Honestly.. I'd say the race was boring even at the final 20 laps. Just seems no one could get by whoever was in the lead. Did we really even see a competitive pass for the lead? ....
Even before the green flag dropped, the announcers were talking about how track position was king since it's so hard to pass at that track. Hopefully NASCAR will do something to make it more competitive. Traction compound maybe??

Old 06-05-2023, 08:25 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,406,847 times
Quote:
One more comment about Gateway. Mike Joy, twice said that the track was sold out. Even mentioned this was the third consecutive sell out.

Does the track consider 75% of seats filled a sell out? The one grandstand on the front stretch looked full, but the one, I believe, on turn 1 and 2 had a considerable amount of empty spaces in the grandstands.
Right, I saw the same exact thing that you did.

And it wouldn't be the first time that they say this at different tracks.

Who are they trying to kid?

Old 06-06-2023, 01:42 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,898,735 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Right, I saw the same exact thing that you did.

And it wouldn't be the first time that they say this at different tracks.

Who are they trying to kid?
They can sell out and people just not show up, but most of it is scalpers and ticket services buy up all the tickets, therefore its "sold out".

Old 06-06-2023, 06:05 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
They can sell out and people just not show up, but most of it is scalpers and ticket services buy up all the tickets, therefore its "sold out".
Good point.

Old 06-06-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
It's still embarrassing when they say "the grandstands are full" when they are clearly not. Even Mike Joy can see that.

Old 06-06-2023, 12:01 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,898,735 times
Quote:
It's still embarrassing when they say "the grandstands are full" when they are clearly not. Even Mike Joy can see that.
Actually, before the lighning delay the stabnds did look full to me, but that could have bben just one section, at that time. But I agree, should say they are full, when they arent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing