Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2023, 11:15 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,834,126 times

Advertisements

Ford's biggest mistake was listening to the woke mob and passing on a great person like Kyle Larson. Tony wanted that driver so bad and probably would have had a NASCAR Cup Championship Trophy at this team HQ by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 01:17 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
In comparison to what NASCAR has become, this is an awesome bright spot. I dig the fact that Berry being his age gets a top ride. Also, the love and Loyalty that Jr has shown the kid , and the fact that he, Tony and Kevin all came together to put Josh in the 4 car. I hope he does well and proves them all right.

Love what Tony said..
“I am not interested in some kid’s father coming and buying their way into the Cup Series. I have zero interest in that,” Stewart said. “We want guys that earn their way, that work hard, that understand the values that it takes to be a top-tier driver – not one that just got his high school diploma and now all the sudden he’s a Cup driver. I’ve got zero interest in that. Josh has put the time, the effort, and every time he’s got an opportunity, he’s made the most of it. Those are the traits that championship drivers are built off of, not the easy ticket to get there.”

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...t-haas-racing/

Can we still call SHR a top ride? Look, Harvick is Harvick.. He can, to an extent, make chicken salad out of chicken poop.. but, none of the other drivers there is even coming close.

Even if you take the Briscoe penalty out of the equation.. The other three drivers are in the mid-20's in points. Now, you add the brain drain of losing Harvick..

Do I think this is a permanent downturn? No, of course not.. But, I don't think Berry can fill Harvick's shoes so far as the experience and intangibles.

They need to bring someone else in.. A veteran, I presume for the 10 car, and if not, for the 14. Problem is.. Really not one of those available. MAYBE Truex, but.. I don't think he frees up. Though, with the Bass Pro connection.. It could make some sense if they were to want to move with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Ford's biggest mistake was listening to the woke mob and passing on a great person like Kyle Larson. Tony wanted that driver so bad and probably would have had a NASCAR Cup Championship Trophy at this team HQ by now.

I'm a bit confused on the timeline here.. Because when Larson resigned with Ganassi.. That was the FIRST time that Tony went after him, and.. It seemed to me that his comments kinda pointed to that Ford stopped him AT THAT TIME as well. Which.. Honestly, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yeah.. Here

Quote:
Tony Stewart responded to a fan with absolutely atrocious grammar that he did try to hire Kyle Larson. Stewart apparently tried for the last four years to hire Larson but ultimately Ford blocked it. Obviously, the Ford block came this season because of his racial slur usage. The other three years were likely because Larson was under contract with Chip Ganassi Racing.

The article I was reading says that Larson does not, or at least, did not have a personal services contract with Chevy after signing with Hendrick. That seemed to be the big hangup.. Chevy probably told Hendrick no, but.. Rick does have just a little bit of sway and apparently convinced them that he'd take the heat, if there were any. And, he backed that up by pretty much sponsoring the car himself.

Look.. I get why Ford was scared.. But, yes, they should have taken the route that Chevy did.. Say that Stewart-Haas is a partner of theirs, but Ford is not involved in their hiring practices.

The question would be whether Stewart-Haas could have found him a sponsor.. OTHER than Gene Haas. And, of course, you have to ask whether Gene would have been ok with it.

No one really thinks about the Larson incident anymore.. But, I'm sure that some sponsors have backed away to this day just because.. They don't want to deal with the headaches. Risk/reward.. Of course, I think at this time, anyone who complained.. Look, it's been three years. He's apologized.. Move on.

If Bud Light had just said "No.. We don't want to get involved in these issues on either side" with their latest fiasco.. I get where AB was coming from.. Look.. Trans people drink beer, too.. they want to sell beer to everyone. Delicate balancing act. Which they screwed up BIG TIME. Now, everyone hates them. The smarter move here.. Don't play the game at all. And, I think at least early on, that's the way sponsors looked at Larson. "It should be OK".. But.. What if it's not?

Old 06-22-2023, 03:36 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Can we still call SHR a top ride? Look, Harvick is Harvick.. He can, to an extent, make chicken salad out of chicken poop.. but, none of the other drivers there is even coming close.

Even if you take the Briscoe penalty out of the equation.. The other three drivers are in the mid-20's in points. Now, you add the brain drain of losing Harvick..

Do I think this is a permanent downturn? No, of course not.. But, I don't think Berry can fill Harvick's shoes so far as the experience and intangibles.

They need to bring someone else in.. A veteran, I presume for the 10 car, and if not, for the 14. Problem is.. Really not one of those available. MAYBE Truex, but.. I don't think he frees up. Though, with the Bass Pro connection.. It could make some sense if they were to want to move with him.

I would say yes, considering anything els that could come open . Hendrick is not going to have a ride for some time. Maybe Childress on the upswing ? I get your point but Fords have been down as a whole , yes I see Penske but at the end of the dayis it a veteran driver that they need to turn things around (definately wouldnt hurt) , they had Kurt, or is it speed... Look at Track house with their two knuckle heads, "even a blind squirrel", no veterans there.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:07 AM

Just speculating on the Larson/SHR/Ford thing. Could HASS have sponsored Larson similar to Hendrick Cars? I didn't look up Gene Haas net worth, but it appears he could have afforded it, at least for a season or two.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:15 AM

Been following the NASCAR media rights deal that should be finalized in the coming year. With FOX Sports having so many issues that fans are complaining about (commercials, break aways from the actual action, commentator mistakes, etc...), you have NBC taking over this week and Dale Jr taking subtle swipes at FOX.

There is talk of what, if any, sort of streaming will come with the next contract? I'm assuming that NASCAR would love a piece of the subscription pot of money, but how would they pull that off to make it attractive to fans?

The first half of this season has seen a pretty significant drop in viewership. Probably due to the NextGen car on its second year now. Races have not been as exciting. Chase Elliott multiple suspensions. FOX issues.

What would entice you as a fan to sign up for a season pass with NASCAR if offered?
  • Commercial free races
  • Ability to "DVR" the race or pause it during live action
  • Follow your favorite driver in car camera, listen to comms

Last edited by USNRET04; 06-23-2023 at 06:23 AM..

Old 06-23-2023, 07:40 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,896,314 times
Quote:
Just speculating on the Larson/SHR/Ford thing. Could HASS have sponsored Larson similar to Hendrick Cars? I didn't look up Gene Haas net worth, but it appears he could have afforded it, at least for a season or two.
Hes done it before for more than one race in a season. I cant recall who it was drove the car though as it seems several have driven it.

Quote:
Been following the NASCAR media rights deal that should be finalized in the coming year. With FOX Sports having so many issues that fans are complaining about (commercials, break aways from the actual action, commentator mistakes, etc...), you have NBC taking over this week and Dale Jr taking subtle swipes at FOX.

There is talk of what, if any, sort of streaming will come with the next contract? I'm assuming that NASCAR would love a piece of the subscription pot of money, but how would they pull that off to make it attractive to fans?

The first half of this season has seen a pretty significant drop in viewership. Probably due to the NextGen car on its second year now. Races have not been as exciting. Chase Elliott multiple suspensions. FOX issues.

What would entice you as a fan to sign up for a season pass with NASCAR if offered?
  • Commercial free races
  • Ability to "DVR" the race or pause it during live action
  • Follow your favorite driver in car camera, listen to comms
I wont sign up, unless its free, and my NASCAR days will be over. Im not going to pay to watch a declining sport decline further. Id be willing to bet Im not the only one who feels that way, and NASCAR will be dead.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:22 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
............I wont sign up, unless its free, and my NASCAR days will be over. I'm not going to pay to watch a declining sport decline further. I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only one who feels that way, and NASCAR will be dead.
No, you're not the only one......

Old 06-23-2023, 09:28 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:

The 41 car is pretty much Gene's to run as he sees fit. At least, that's what Tony has said many times in the past.. Though.. apparently there was some friction last year regarding replacing Cole Custer with Ryan Preece. I believe that was something Tony wanted and Gene didn't.

Gene is the majority sponsor on the car. Haas Automation or Haas Tooling is sponsoring.. Around 28 of the races. Ballpark. With Autodesk, Hunt Brothers and a few other sponsors doing one-offs or a few races.

Even back when Kurt Busch was driving, it was about a 50/50 split between Monster, which was a Kurt sponsor, and Haas.

And, a talent of Larson's level.. Oh, yeah.. Gene would have jumped at that. The question would become.. Would he be willing to take the heat sponsoring Larson? And.. Based on what his business is.. While I can't speak for Gene Haas' thoughts, any backlash against his businesses would have been minimal. It's truly a worldwide business and.. Honestly, There's not many players in that game at the level of Haas. There's just no one else for them to go to.

And, let's be honest at the end of the day.. There's been no backlash against Hendrickcars.com or Rick Hendrick.. Everyone has been very accepting of the apology from Larson and I believe even those who might have raised a stink look at this as what it really was.. A pretty young guy saying something without thinking it through. it was obvious he used it in a 'slang' type way. It still wasn't SMART to do, but it wasn't done from a racist standpoint and no one ever thought it was. Plus, the punishment he received was.. More than sufficient.

Old 06-23-2023, 10:37 AM

Funny, a story just popped up in my feed:

https://thesportsrush.com/nascar-new...sional-career/

Old 06-23-2023, 11:19 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
.........I won't sign up, unless its free, and my NASCAR days will be over. I'm not going to pay to watch a declining sport decline further. I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only one who feels that way, and NASCAR will be dead.
One other comment along that line. I just looked at the weekend schedule, for the races at Nashville. The Cup race is 7PM, on a Sunday night. It's billed as the "Nashville 400", so it's either 400 laps or 400 miles.....starting at 7PM. What are these clowns thinking????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing