Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2023, 11:20 AM

6,432 posts, read 3,137,370 times

Advertisements

They're starting the races at 5PM, or something like that, today, followed by the second race around 8PM???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 12:48 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,875,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
They're starting the races at 5PM, or something like that, today, followed by the second race around 8PM???
Thats the way its always been. The open was for anybody that wasnt in the all star. So many advanced into the all star. Im not sure now what the hell they are doing. I had to come home early for a family emergency so Im not going to see the all star, but that truck race was pretty good.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:09 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times
Looks like North Wilkesboro was a huge hit at least in attendance. I didn't go, but appears that everyone was having a great time.

Would have been cool to see some attempts to pass the dominant leader, but Larson was on a tear. Overall race was a bit of a letdown, but the old school vibes was cool.

It appears that Marcus Smith is planning to host the race again next year. He says he'll try to avoid repaving the track.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:50 AM

5,169 posts, read 4,941,748 times
I enjoyed the nostalgia of seeing the 29 car with Harvick and Jones driving the old STP 43 paint job, but I thought that the race absolutely sucked! I sure hope they figure out something to make it more competitive if they race there again.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:58 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I enjoyed the nostalgia of seeing the 29 car with Harvick and Jones driving the old STP 43 paint job, but I thought that the race absolutely sucked! I sure hope they figure out something to make it more competitive if they race there again.
The problem is the chassis. It sucks on short tracks. The truck race was good.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:28 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post

A late caution would have likely turned opinion on it.. I kept waiting for a mysterious 'debris' caution to fly.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:06 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
A late caution would have likely turned opinion on it.. I kept waiting for a mysterious 'debris' caution to fly.
Yeah, I thought Brisco was going to create some excitement with those 2 Toyotas in front of him when he caught them, but it never happened.
Chastain pretty much behaved himself.
We saw a little bit of flashback from the Gibbs runt... if it were with anybody but the nicest guy in the garage it may have escalated.
Pretty bad when the guy that flat out dominated the weekend has to apologize for it.
Watching Larson come from dead last to the front was pretty dang impressive, I stepped outside for a moment to take a phone call and came back in and he was leading the race.
Watching him wheel that truck around that place was also fun.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yeah, I thought Brisco was going to create some excitement with those 2 Toyotas in front of him when he caught them, but it never happened.
Chastain pretty much behaved himself.
We saw a little bit of flashback from the Gibbs runt... if it were with anybody but the nicest guy in the garage it may have escalated.
Pretty bad when the guy that flat out dominated the weekend has to apologize for it.
Watching Larson come from dead last to the front was pretty dang impressive, I stepped outside for a moment to take a phone call and came back in and he was leading the race.
Watching him wheel that truck around that place was also fun.

Well, he had the fastest car and the correct pit strategy.. what I don't understand.. Why did so few people pit at lap 16/17 when the first caution came out? I mean, we all saw how much tires meant. Now.. Don't get me wrong here.. Kyle was the dominant car (and truck) through the weekend.. But.. Had everyone pitted at lap 17.. I think it takes him far longer to get through the field and there's a CHANCE he doesn't make it to the front by the end, though.. I think that's pretty unlikely.

Probably would have been a better race had it played out that way, tho.

As for Gibbs.. He was far from the only one breaking out the bump and run. If they intend to continue racing here, I think you have to repave. I honestly thought the surface was too far gone to run on. That racing surface is 42 years old. Last repave was 1981.

The first year or two after a repave, probably no real change.. But after that.. Might get good. You have to have two lanes to run in, otherwise it's just going to turn into a demolition derby. I know many people don't like the fact that Bristol now has 2 lanes, at least, to run in.. But.. From a pure racing standpoint, it's far better than it used to be. From an excitement standpoint.. Ok.. Well, that point is valid..

Old 05-23-2023, 06:49 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times
SMI should just go ahead and repave North Wilkesboro. As some drivers have mentioned, use a more coarse asphalt that wears tires faster. This should allow for more side by side racing, along with some tweaks to the cars and Goodyears.

Do a couple more years of the All Star race there then once the track is good and seasoned, add it to the points schedule.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
SMI should just go ahead and repave North Wilkesboro. As some drivers have mentioned, use a more coarse asphalt that wears tires faster. This should allow for more side by side racing, along with some tweaks to the cars and Goodyears.

Do a couple more years of the All Star race there then once the track is good and seasoned, add it to the points schedule.

I doubt the type of asphalt matters. Like Darlington and Rockingham.. The area having a pretty high amount of sand, and normally fairly tough winters.. Ought to take care of it really quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing