Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2023, 03:14 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Gragson never got a chance to counter. NASCAR needs hockey rules.

The ending is what it is. Hamlin and Larson are really good friends. I don’t think Hamlin hit him on purpose. Just wanted to take the air off the back of a very loose car.

I'm with you for the most part. I don't think Denny intended to get into him. But, end of the day, he did, and he certainly owes Larson a call this morning to explain/apologize/whatever.

It really looked like hard racing for the win. Denny came up, Larson was loose, they came together. There was no intent to do a bump and run. Because Larson was WAY high, Denny used all the space, and Larson came back down while Denny was still coming up.. I generally would put this as a "racin' deal"

Kudos to Larson for hanging on to the car and getting 2nd. I was about sure he was going to wreck out there.

This reminds me a whole lot of the race at Kansas a few years ago when Denny and Joey got together and Kyle scooted through both of them wrecking to take the win. That one started out just as a racing deal, but.. There was more than just one contact there as I recall.

Chastain / Gragson.. Chastain threw a punch.. Any fines are going to be on him. Do I think he gets a suspension? No. Nor should he. Is he going to get fined? Certainly. Will Gragson? All things being equal, i'd say no.. However.. He started throwing some haymakers there and I believe he might have smacked an official.. And.. If that's the case.. Yes. He needs to be fined as well.

Which.. yes.. Is sort of adding insult to injury. Kinda like being Robin Ventura.. You're 26 years old and charge the mound against a 46 year old legend in Nolan Ryan and get your butt whipped.

My end of the day on this one.. Pushing and shoving.. "Heated Discussions" are all fair game.. Once fists start flying.. We've got a bigger problem. You can't just let that go. I'm not calling for large fines for either.. But.. A stand needs to be made that throwing punches is not acceptable.

FWIW.. Did Larson not have the greatest reaction during his interview when the fight broke out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Good points Labonte18. You mention getting in simply due to his age (and maturity).

Tony likes guys like Josh, so that helps. Plus Tony and Dale Jr have a great relationship and both are good at discovering talent.

Do you think Josh can be used to keep Anheuser-Busch from leaving? it's been reported that A-B is having talks with Trackhouse/Chastain.

I would prefer to sit down and have a Buuuuccccshhhhh beer with Josh over Ross, only because Josh seems less full of himself.

Whoa.. No, not in due to his age. What i'm saying is his talent got him the ride and he has the talent, no question.

His age is what would keep him OUT any other year, IMO.

He's 32. Getting 10 years out of him.. I dunno.. Most car owners now want that 18 year old kid that they can have driving for them for 20+ years. You certainly don't have that with Josh Berry. And, in most any other year.. That would eliminate him from getting.. At the very least THIS ride. I could.. Perhaps see them giving him a shot if the 10 car became available or similar. RWR or one of the.. lower tier teams, sure.. But.. What's basically the flagship car of SHR? Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Ryan Newman coming back to cup with some select starts for Rick Ware Racing this season.
Ah.. I was gone this weekend, so, glad someone brought this up. I don't expect much from them.. But.. Seeing as it seems RWR will need a long term replacement for Cody Ware. This is an excellent get on their part. They're going to have someone with great experience, and a smart guy that.. Could help them improve their program. Not sure how much tho, because.. Ryan's going to be learning the new car. Remember, he didn't race last year.

But.. Regardless.. He certainly can't make things any worse there.

Old 05-08-2023, 05:04 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Whoa.. No, not in due to his age. What i'm saying is his talent got him the ride and he has the talent, no question.

His age is what would keep him OUT any other year, IMO.

He's 32. Getting 10 years out of him.. I dunno.. Most car owners now want that 18 year old kid that they can have driving for them for 20+ years. You certainly don't have that with Josh Berry. And, in most any other year.. That would eliminate him from getting.. At the very least THIS ride. I could.. Perhaps see them giving him a shot if the 10 car became available or similar. RWR or one of the.. lower tier teams, sure.. But.. What's basically the flagship car of SHR? Wow.

Ah.. I was gone this weekend, so, glad someone brought this up. I don't expect much from them.. But.. Seeing as it seems RWR will need a long term replacement for Cody Ware. This is an excellent get on their part. They're going to have someone with great experience, and a smart guy that.. Could help them improve their program. Not sure how much tho, because.. Ryan's going to be learning the new car. Remember, he didn't race last year.

But.. Regardless.. He certainly can't make things any worse there
the way I understand it is Ware needs to keep that car above certain point in the points or risk losing his charter? So in that regard Newman even with the learning curve was indeed a good fit.

Old 05-08-2023, 05:15 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,898,735 times
Quote:
I'm with you for the most part. I don't think Denny intended to get into him. But, end of the day, he did, and he certainly owes Larson a call this morning to explain/apologize/whatever.

It really looked like hard racing for the win. Denny came up, Larson was loose, they came together. There was no intent to do a bump and run. Because Larson was WAY high, Denny used all the space, and Larson came back down while Denny was still coming up.. I generally would put this as a "racin' deal"

Kudos to Larson for hanging on to the car and getting 2nd. I was about sure he was going to wreck out there.

This reminds me a whole lot of the race at Kansas a few years ago when Denny and Joey got together and Kyle scooted through both of them wrecking to take the win. That one started out just as a racing deal, but.. There was more than just one contact there as I recall.

Chastain / Gragson.. Chastain threw a punch.. Any fines are going to be on him. Do I think he gets a suspension? No. Nor should he. Is he going to get fined? Certainly. Will Gragson? All things being equal, i'd say no.. However.. He started throwing some haymakers there and I believe he might have smacked an official.. And.. If that's the case.. Yes. He needs to be fined as well.

Which.. yes.. Is sort of adding insult to injury. Kinda like being Robin Ventura.. You're 26 years old and charge the mound against a 46 year old legend in Nolan Ryan and get your butt whipped.

My end of the day on this one.. Pushing and shoving.. "Heated Discussions" are all fair game.. Once fists start flying.. We've got a bigger problem. You can't just let that go. I'm not calling for large fines for either.. But.. A stand needs to be made that throwing punches is not acceptable.

FWIW.. Did Larson not have the greatest reaction during his interview when the fight broke out?
Again, Chastain told him to stop, grabbing him I assume, and he didnt. Iaduh punched him too!

Whoever it was, Gordon did get punched once, I forget who it was now but he had a bloody lip IIRC.

Old 05-08-2023, 06:07 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,954,555 times
Quote:
Compared to the earlier part of this season, Kansas was a GREAT race.
I agree. I was really looking forward to Atlanta and was disappointed afterwards. Kansas made up for a boring season so far.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Again, Chastain told him to stop, grabbing him I assume, and he didnt. Iaduh punched him too!

Whoever it was, Gordon did get punched once, I forget who it was now but he had a bloody lip IIRC.

I remember that.. was that the Clint Bowyer situation at Phoenix?

if that's correct.. I believe it was a crewmember that actually landed the punch. And.. It seems to me that crewmember actually got more than a fine.

Ok.. I'm mixing situations.. Seems it was Gordon and Keselowski.. And it was Texas.. but, I believe i'm right that it was the crews that landed the blows, not the drivers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...hase/18389151/

And, i'm correct about the crewmembers being suspended.

https://frontstretch.com/2014/11/04/...g-texas-fight/

Old 05-09-2023, 04:33 PM

Not sure how to take this..

https://www.jayski.com/2023/05/09/nc...-traffic-flow/

It seems to me this is a "We know it's going to be bad. Please help." type situation.

Which.. Yeah.. I think everyone pretty much knows it's going to be bad. And I think they're only going to have seating for like 20k?

The only question is whether it will be as bad as Kentucky.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:12 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,898,735 times
Quote:

It seems to me this is a "We know it's going to be bad. Please help." type situation.

Which.. Yeah.. I think everyone pretty much knows it's going to be bad. And I think they're only going to have seating for like 20k?

It was bad back in the 90s when I went.

Old 05-10-2023, 05:27 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Quote:

Me thinks it will be a nightmare for race fans attending....worse when the race is over.

Heck even all of the $1000 RV lots are sold out! https://www.northwilkesborospeedway....-race/camping/

Old 05-10-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Me thinks it will be a nightmare for race fans attending....worse when the race is over.

Heck even all of the $1000 RV lots are sold out! https://www.northwilkesborospeedway....-race/camping/

I think so, but.. How BIG a nightmare is the question. I mean, how bad can 20-25k people be? That's the capacity at Wilkesboro at this point. So..

That may just be the saving grace. They didn't have time to build enough stands.

Parking also looks to be a fairly large problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing