Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 01:13 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times

Advertisements

I didnt get to see the final race, was tracking some of it on my phone. Obviously Blaney had the best car that day, it seems by a lot! I have said in the past Blaney is overated, we'll see how he does going forward. Still not a fan of the Championship coming down to one race, but it is what it is. Too bad for Bell, he seems like a decent kid, glad he didnt win but ....
Got to acknowledge RFK Brad, what a turn around they had a great season considering how long they have been in obscurity. Very cool to Keselowski come in and return Roush to a contender.
Kevin Harvick, The last of an era. still hard to believe the guy that replaced Dale Earnhardt is now retired.
He was the last of that Generation!
William Byron has proven he is going to be competing for Championships for years to come.*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 06:01 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,953,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
.... Still not a fan of the Championship coming down to one race, but it is what it is.....
Agree 100%. I would love to see it changed to something like best total positions for the last 3 races or total points in the play-off series.
As it is now, you can have someone who clearly dominated the season and has one bad-luck race in the final race and not get the championship that they deserve.

Old 11-11-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Agree 100%. I would love to see it changed to something like best total positions for the last 3 races or total points in the play-off series.
As it is now, you can have someone who clearly dominated the season and has one bad-luck race in the final race and not get the championship that they deserve.
Exactly!
William Byron
6 wins
15 top 5
21 top 10
3 dnf
Ryan Blaney
3 wins
8 top 5
18 top10
3dnf
Byron twice the wins, nearly twice the top 5s, more top 10s and equal dnf's.
Whos the real Champion

Old 11-12-2023, 05:34 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,953,555 times
Perfect example, silas777. Hopefully NASCAR will change things up within the next few years.

Old 11-12-2023, 09:27 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Perfect example, silas777. Hopefully NASCAR will change things up within the next few years.
I agree.

Old 11-12-2023, 01:34 PM

Dale Jr puzzled as to why NASCAR viewership this year was the worst...
How can these guys be so clueless.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/nascar/n...ership-decline

Old 11-13-2023, 06:33 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Dale Jr puzzled as to why NASCAR viewership this year was the worst...
How can these guys be so clueless.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/nascar/n...ership-decline
For the diehard, older race fans, such as myself, for example, NASCAR cup racing has turned into the "second coming" of the old IROC racing series....a bunch of good drivers in identical cars, racing for the win. NASCAR's philosophy, even in some of the lower racing series, seems to be aimed at removing the car from the equation, and focusing on the driver.

What they seem to forget, or simply overlook, is that many of the race fans are also "gearheads" who like to mess with cars, and can relate to, and appreciate the skills of those who actually work on the cars, and make them better than their competitors. NASCAR is trying to factor that out of the equation.

In the "old days", the cars would receive a basic "tech inspection", then the drivers would spend the afternoon pushing and shoving each other around the track for 3,4,500 miles, and whoever crossed the line first, won the race. Now after the race is over, and the supposed winner visits victory lane, the car goes into the garage, and gets inspected with a magnifying glass, before the victory is finally awarded.

They run 500 miles, pushing and shoving, then disqualify someone because their car, one that was inspected 3-4 times BEFORE the race, is suddenly found to be 0.035" too low, or the engine that displaced EXACTLY 358 cu/in, at room temperature, during inspection, displaces 358.01 cu/in after the race, when it is still somewhat hot. The fans don't want to see that nonsense!

And also, IMHO, the fans don't want to see 38 IDENTICAL LOOKING cars running around the track.....and that sentiment, in my mind, extends all the way down to the "local level" racing.

Old 11-13-2023, 11:12 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Under the old points system, Byron would have won by about 100 points over Hamlin.

I think Blaney was 7th or something.

Old 11-13-2023, 11:19 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
For the diehard, older race fans, such as myself, for example, NASCAR cup racing has turned into the "second coming" of the old IROC racing series....a bunch of good drivers in identical cars, racing for the win. NASCAR's philosophy, even in some of the lower racing series, seems to be aimed at removing the car from the equation, and focusing on the driver.

What they seem to forget, or simply overlook, is that many of the race fans are also "gearheads" who like to mess with cars, and can relate to, and appreciate the skills of those who actually work on the cars, and make them better than their competitors. NASCAR is trying to factor that out of the equation.

In the "old days", the cars would receive a basic "tech inspection", then the drivers would spend the afternoon pushing and shoving each other around the track for 3,4,500 miles, and whoever crossed the line first, won the race. Now after the race is over, and the supposed winner visits victory lane, the car goes into the garage, and gets inspected with a magnifying glass, before the victory is finally awarded.

They run 500 miles, pushing and shoving, then disqualify someone because their car, one that was inspected 3-4 times BEFORE the race, is suddenly found to be 0.035" too low, or the engine that displaced EXACTLY 358 cu/in, at room temperature, during inspection, displaces 358.01 cu/in after the race, when it is still somewhat hot. The fans don't want to see that nonsense!

And also, IMHO, the fans don't want to see 38 IDENTICAL LOOKING cars running around the track.....and that sentiment, in my mind, extends all the way down to the "local level" racing.
I agree with most of this. My interest has waned over the years. I didn't watch a race live this year, recorded all of them and fast forwarded though most of the race. I know a LOT of fans that do that now.

There were a few races that I just watched the "extended highlights" on YouTube in under 20 minutes.

I used to get so excited for some of the races, especially Saturday night short tracks. Not any more. I would arrange my schedule around races....not any more.

Not sure what NASCAR can do or even if they care what the fans think.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I agree with most of this. My interest has waned over the years. I didn't watch a race live this year, recorded all of them and fast forwarded though most of the race. I know a LOT of fans that do that now.

There were a few races that I just watched the "extended highlights" on YouTube in under 20 minutes.

I used to get so excited for some of the races, especially Saturday night short tracks. Not any more. I would arrange my schedule around races....not any more.

Not sure what NASCAR can do or even if they care what the fans think.
There's the bottom line. NASCAR is not the same sport it was "back in the day" it just is not the same sport. They have purposely gone out of their way to rebrand from what they were at their peak. Thats just fact, you can argue or disagree with their reasoning for it but at the end of the day they intentionally changed the product as a whole in an attempt to go after a different demographic and, that demographic obviously isn't as interested in today's NASCAR as the original demographic was with the old NASCAR. They are stuck with what they have, they can't go back. They will continue grasping at straws and stupid gimmick stuff . If they think it's bad now, just wait as the economy gets worse and sponsorship dollars become even harder to get.
The really disingenuous part is those like Dale Jr actually puzzled as to what the problem is. Its hard to believe they are actually that clueless, I am more inclined to believe it's more defiance, nobody wants to admit when they Go woke and go broke. Or screw up and make such wholesale changes to the cars. They will just keep looking for other reasons to blame it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing