Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 12:37 AM

5 posts, read 20,211 times

Advertisements

the internet has destroyed my life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 AM

200 posts, read 600,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel_009 View Post
This is an excellent post -- thoughtful and inspiring. Thanks! I will test your theory by volunteering at a museum of some sort in the near future. I will also think about other ways to get involved in the community in future, as I become more acquainted and get a better routine going so that I have more free time.

By the way, I'm definitely planning to check out the history center in St. Paul this weekend. I hope I learn a lot.
You probably have gone already, but if you come back to the area, you should walk on Summit Ave and take a look at the beautiful homes. Also the cathedral is usually open for people to walk around.

I apparently can't give uptown_urbanist a rep right now, but I agree that she made a great post and gave a few points I'd never thought about before.

Last edited by silverjet; 10-03-2009 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 10-03-2009, 12:03 PM

207 posts, read 799,135 times
I'm going tomorrow! So I'll try to remember to walk on Summit Ave if it's not too far off from where we are. I do plan to visit the cathedral.

Last night I went to the Black Forest Inn and it was "David Hasselhoff night" (because apparently he is well loved in Germany). Totally hilarious and great food.

Haha, yes, Uptown_Urbanist's posts are often very helpful/insightful, so I find myself in the same position as you, i.e., wanting to rate her post positively but being prevented from doing so because apparently I already rated another of her posts recently. Actually, thing same thing has happened with some other good posters as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverjet View Post
You probably have gone already, but if you come back to the area, you should walk on Summit Ave and take a look at the beautiful homes. Also the cathedral is usually open for people to walk around.

I apparently can't give uptown_urbanist a rep right now, but I agree that she made a great post and gave a few points I'd never thought about before.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:44 PM

27 posts, read 37,641 times
Hi,

Haven't checked these boards in a long time and saw the usual question - how do you meet people from here? Well, sometimes, you have to focus on all the other people like yourself who are interested in forming new friendships. I've heard good things about "I'm Not From Here" which is a group for transplanted professionals. This past summer they morphed into a Meetup group which are a great way to find like minded people. Here's the link and good luck finding a new group of friends.

Twin Cities Transplants (Saint Paul, MN) - Meetup.com

Old 10-04-2009, 11:50 PM

356 posts, read 606,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwy View Post
Hi,

Haven't checked these boards in a long time and saw the usual question - how do you meet people from here? Well, sometimes, you have to focus on all the other people like yourself who are interested in forming new friendships. I've heard good things about "I'm Not From Here" which is a group for transplanted professionals. This past summer they morphed into a Meetup group which are a great way to find like minded people. Here's the link and good luck finding a new group of friends.

Twin Cities Transplants (Saint Paul, MN) - Meetup.com
Glad you've heard positive things about TCT. I have had success meeting people from that group. You are right, that it is better to focus on where you can meet people, not necessarily people 'from here'.

It is not limited to St. Paul. The Biweekly happy hour, FAC (Friday Afternoon Club), alternates between the east and west sides.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:04 PM

28 posts, read 101,616 times
Im moving to Minneapolis for the music scene, im in Indianapolis now and this towns a joke, tlk about blah...Minneapolis much like Austin TX has a unique music scene, and music history for a city it's size and you dont have to deal with all the negatives in bigger cities like Chicago, NY or LA.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:31 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG74K View Post
Im moving to Minneapolis for the music scene, im in Indianapolis now and this towns a joke, tlk about blah...Minneapolis much like Austin TX has a unique music scene, and music history for a city it's size and you dont have to deal with all the negatives in bigger cities like Chicago, NY or LA.
Mpls does have a unique music scene. I am smiling as I mention The Artist Formerly Known As Prince and the movie he was in, Purple Rain.

Song playing in my head: Let's Go Crazy by Prince.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:15 PM

138 posts, read 370,742 times
In my previous post, I mentioned my difficulty in making new friends in my condo building. I have also noticed that the people in the higher priced units don't talk to those of us in the "affordable" wing. Kind of sad. When I walk down the hall, they look away.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:34 PM

527 posts, read 1,245,915 times
I used to live in Minneapolis, and noticed what I would describe as a whole friggin waterfall of snobbery among invasives as described by Robert98 and applied to almost any barrier of achievement and wealth between people at any level. native peoples seemed to not hold barriers provided you went to high school with them. Women seemed to have to have a bf to have friends, ie single women AND partnered women avoid single women as friends. Which was sad.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:39 PM

207 posts, read 799,135 times
This almost seems like a joke, and would be funny if it weren't true. But I think you are hitting upon something that is specific to condo dwellers. You will have some people who live in condos because it's easy, affordable (relatively), and somewhat hip. Then you have those who are indulging in conspicuous consumption. I'm sure that the value one gets for their money in a condo decreases as the upgrades, # of rooms increases. But perhaps I'm wrong, although I'm speaking as a former condo dweller along the waterfront in Toronto. Think about how much people will pay for a balcony or a high floor. So it's really not surprising that they don't want to associate with the people in the affordable wing, since the whole point to their being there is to distinguish themselves from the crowd (in their own minds)...THAT's what they paid for really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert98 View Post
In my previous post, I mentioned my difficulty in making new friends in my condo building. I have also noticed that the people in the higher priced units don't talk to those of us in the "affordable" wing. Kind of sad. When I walk down the hall, they look away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul