Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 10:33 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I'll pass. Nothing wrong with having a weapon around the house but we're not that paranoid yet.
So, you think paranoidism is driving the gun sales then, hum, never thought about it that way, could be.

Like I said, I don't know much about guns, I'm just thinking about buying one, you got any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 01:47 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Only gun I've ever shot, other than the M-16 during my 4 month Army career, has been a 22 when my dad used to take us out in the country to shoot bottles and cans in the ditches and creeks.
For home protection for us, I think I'd have some type of pistol. My wife can't get up to the bedroom because of medical problems so she sleeps in her recliner. If someone was to break in, I'd rather have something she can grab in a hurry if she had to.

Old 01-09-2021, 04:24 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,370 times
There are several “what gun do I need” threads in the Hobbies and Recreation - Guns and Hunting sub forum of City-Data.

Old 01-09-2021, 04:41 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I saw in another forum that 37 states have ski resorts and KY is one that doesn't. Other states surrounding KY do including North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Virginia, Missouri, Indiana and Ohio have at least one. Even Alabama has a ski resort.
I don't ski but it seems like this would be helpful to the economy especially in Eastern KY. I'm just wondering why this is. Maybe I'm being naive in thinking a resort of this type would be able to get funding to make it a reality.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:58 PM

If not for Cloudmont near Mentone AL, which is about an hour from where where I live in north Alabama, I would have to drive several hours up into North Carolina to ski. I don’t ski, but I do know people who do and they frequent Cloudmont whenever it is making snow. I don’t think it is highly profitable, given the lack of much natural snow, but the ski slope has been there (off and on) as long as I can remember. Given Kentucky’s higher Appalachian elevations and lower winter temperatures, such an operation would seem viable commercially.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
There are several “what gun do I need” threads in the Hobbies and Recreation - Guns and Hunting sub forum of City-Data.
Thanks...I might check them out and see what they have to say.

I don't get out much.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:32 PM

Well, I ventured out, and went over to the guns and hunting sub forum looking for recommendations for what to buy as my first gun to purchase. I wasn't real comfortable making the journey as I hardly ever leave my home Kentucky Forum but, for the sake of necessity I done it. And I do believe that there was as many opinions as there are guns on the market. I'm now more confused as ever. But, one thing I agree with is, I should get some kind of training as to how to handle, clean and maintain what ever I buy, if I buy at all.

Looks like I'll have use my best judgement and figure this one out on my own as usual.

Thanks nalabama...

Old 01-12-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Well, I ventured out, and went over to the guns and hunting sub forum looking for recommendations for what to buy as my first gun to purchase. I wasn't real comfortable making the journey as I hardly ever leave my home Kentucky Forum but, for the sake of necessity I done it. And I do believe that there was as many opinions as there are guns on the market. I'm now more confused as ever. But, one thing I agree with is, I should get some kind of training as to how to handle, clean and maintain what ever I buy, if I buy at all.

Looks like I'll have use my best judgement and figure this one out on my own as usual.

Thanks nalabama...

You are most welcome, hogsrus. Wish I could be there to run you over to Kentucky Gun Store (Bardstown) or Buds (Lexington) but I’m just out of the hospital last night and that isn’t going to happen. Best of luck going forward.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
You are most welcome, hogsrus. Wish I could be there to run you over to Kentucky Gun Store (Bardstown) or Buds (Lexington) but I’m just out of the hospital last night and that isn’t going to happen. Best of luck going forward.
Wow...sorry to hear that but, glad you're home....get well soon!

I'll check on ye later.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:25 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I saw in another forum that 37 states have ski resorts and KY is one that doesn't. Other states surrounding KY do including North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Virginia, Missouri, Indiana and Ohio have at least one. Even Alabama has a ski resort.
I don't ski but it seems like this would be helpful to the economy especially in Eastern KY. I'm just wondering why this is. Maybe I'm being naive in thinking a resort of this type would be able to get funding to make it a reality.
Quote:
If not for Cloudmont near Mentone AL, which is about an hour from where where I live in north Alabama, I would have to drive several hours up into North Carolina to ski. I don’t ski, but I do know people who do and they frequent Cloudmont whenever it is making snow. I don’t think it is highly profitable, given the lack of much natural snow, but the ski slope has been there (off and on) as long as I can remember. Given Kentucky’s higher Appalachian elevations and lower winter temperatures, such an operation would seem viable commercially.
I have friends who like to go to Paoli Peaks in southern Indiana and my stepson and DIL usually go every February to Ober Gatlinburg in Tennessee. I don't dare try skiing. I'm doing good to walk in the snow on a flat surface. lol I agree that eastern Ky. should have some great areas for ski resorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky