Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 10,196 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are preparing to move to Kentucky from Alabama and have an opportunity to relocate for work to Northern Kentucky or to Western kentucky (owensboro). What would you all reccomend as far as who has a better school system, overall impression of the people in the region. We are looking to find a home in the 400-500 range and are wondering what neighborhoods in both we should consider. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 03:47 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Well luckily there is more than Owensboro in Western Ky. Go a little further west say 100 miles and you'll find some of the highest rated schools in the state, one of the highest rated colleges in the country and some of the highest rates safe places to live in the country. While there isn't as much to do here in terms variety, but there is as much to do here as about anywhere depending on what you want to do.
We also have longer seasons, less snow, less crowds and less traffic, less pollution and while we have less big city amenities we still never lack things to do.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redevil1 View Post
What college is so high rated in w. ky. Surely you don't mean wku or murry. Colleges in ky would rank as follows, Centre, Transylvania university, UK, UL, Morehead, nothern kentucky university, western kentucky university, then murray state.
US News ranks Murray State University at number 15 in the south's top Universities.

other on the list ...
18. Bellarmine University
41. Western Kentucky University
63. Morehead State University

USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2007: Universities-Master's South: Top Schools

Centre college, Transylvania University, UK, UofL, Nothern Kentucky University wasn't even on the list ... doesn't mean they're bad schools, there not I went to 2 of them, they just didn't make the top list. Which is based on a number of factors.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:24 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
US News ranks Murray State University at number 15 in the south's top Universities.

other on the list ...
18. Bellarmine University
41. Western Kentucky University
63. Morehead State University

USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2007: Universities-Master's South: Top Schools

Centre college, Transylvania University, UK, UofL, Nothern Kentucky University wasn't even on the list ... doesn't mean they're bad schools, there not I went to 2 of them, they just didn't make the top list. Which is based on a number of factors.
Centre, Transy, UK, and UL won't be on the list because it is a list of universities that offer Bachelor's and Master's programs with very few if any PhD programs. Centre and Transy are liberal arts colleges that don't have graduate programs. UK and UL are large state universities that offer lots of PhD opportunities. Centre is by far the best education to be had in Kentucky for undergrad. Graduate/professional education depends on your field of interest.

I'm not dogging Murray State, but some flags went off in my head when I saw no Duke, Vandy, William and Mary, Georgia Tech, UVA, UNC, UGA, Florida... Those are the best schools in the south.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Centre, Transy, UK, and UL won't be on the list because it is a list of universities that offer Bachelor's and Master's programs with very few if any PhD programs. Centre and Transy are liberal arts colleges that don't have graduate programs. UK and UL are large state universities that offer lots of PhD opportunities. Centre is by far the best education to be had in Kentucky for undergrad. Graduate/professional education depends on your field of interest.

I'm not dogging Murray State, but some flags went off in my head when I saw no Duke, Vandy, William and Mary, Georgia Tech, UVA, UNC, UGA, Florida... Those are the best schools in the south.
Hey I didn't write the report, perhaps it was small public schools or something (Centre is small, but private). Murray (which I did NOT attend) does have a PhD program, just living close to it, I see all the list in the papers on rating.
Yes Centre is good, I have cousin who is a Professor there.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper2 View Post
My wife and I are preparing to move to Kentucky from Alabama and have an opportunity to relocate for work to Northern Kentucky or to Western kentucky (owensboro). What would you all reccomend as far as who has a better school system, overall impression of the people in the region. We are looking to find a home in the 400-500 range and are wondering what neighborhoods in both we should consider. Thank you
Northern KY all the way. More job opportunities, more entertainment options, lots of different housing options (suburban, urban, rural...) and good school systems. Ft Thomas is consistently ranked #1 in the state and there are lots of good Catholic schools. Those are what I'm familiar with, there are probably other areas with good schools too. The people are friendly, but the area has a more midwestern feel, whereas Western KY has more of a southern feel closer to that of Alabama. 400-500 will go a long way in either location.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:42 PM

I'm not trying to bust your chops, just trying to clear up the confusion. Here is the criteria for the "University-Master's" ranking.

USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2007: Universities-Master's

Old 07-13-2007, 09:32 PM

122 posts, read 168,540 times
That really depends on what you're looking for. I'd agree that N. Ky is going to be better in terms of schools, and yes, 400-500K will be very adequate in either location for housing. W. Ky is more rural and Southern, whereas N. Ky is more urban and Midwestern, but that's a BIG generalization. In my opinion people in both regions are very friendly, but some people have negative reactions in that regard to N. Ky.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:32 PM

23 posts, read 89,958 times
I would say go for northern kentucky. Western kentucky is very nice but in northern kentucky if you want to be away from it all there are plenty of huge lots or homes with a lot of land and quiet (alexandria) (independance) but the beauty of it is you are really still only fifteen minutes away from all cincy has to offer and covington as well. You get the best of both worlds if you want them. The quiet and space of a small town and the opportunities of a large one.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:33 PM

23 posts, read 89,958 times
And I just asked my wife and she said Centre is by far the best school in the state...couldn't resist..ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky