Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2021, 07:19 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Just curious, how many of you all have had the vaccine? Honestly, I don't hear much about it around here.

Got my first (Pfizer) shot almost two weeks ago, with little undue waiting or difficulty, at UK's Kroger Stadium, and didn't have any significant reaction, just a sore arm the following way. Two days later, it was fine. I abstained from taking ibuprofen or anything similar on shot day and the following day, since it seems it can mess with the desired immune reaction. The vaccination process was well-planned and carried out, and lots of 70+ folks were getting their first shots when I was there.

This week's weather forecast is terrible for just about the entire Commonwealth of Kentucky, so I hope things will be better when my second shot is due.

For those of you who remember the 2003 and 2009 ice storms, remember that things come in threes. Now's the time to check your firewood supply, groceries, candles, batteries and blankets (and generator if you have one) and make sure you have a working battery (transistor) radio. Looks like Wednesday will be the most likely day for the ice to arrive, but it's going to be both preceded by and accompanied by snow, sleet, cold, and more snow next weekend. Whew.

Being without power and playing pioneers is fun for about the first hour - after that, it loses its charm rapidly.

I'm going to make and freeze most of a big batch of spaghetti tomorrow, as I can warm it up over the fireplace coals in my old cast-iron skillet, if we lose electric power. Scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes, hamburger patties, grilled cheese sandwiches, and a variety of other stove-top dishes can also be cooked over the coals, so I won't starve. It does take more time, however. Both sweet and Irish potatoes can be wrapped in foil and cooked in the ashes. Of course there are always marshmallows to sweeten up a trying situation.

Stocked up on cat food and kitty litter today as well, so Miss Kitty won't go without. Got my flannel pajamas and long johns laundered and have an extra blanket on the hide-a-bed, which is conveniently in front of the fireplace. I'll shut off unused rooms if I must as well. I have a few miniature oil lamps which were handy last time, plus some lamp oil for them. Need to put fresh batteries in the flash lights. A small electric camping lantern was great last time, but it broke and hasn't been replaced.

Wood ashes from the fireplace work well to help melt ice and provide safer footing on sidewalks. I need to locate a bucket for the ones presently in my fireplace, and get them out of the fireplace before starting any new fires (which won't happen until the power departs, to conserve firewood - I have plenty but only moved about a day or two's supply to the covered porch this evening. Might add more tomorrow).

Any other good ice storm survival tips? Back in 2003, a friend heated bricks in her fireplace, then wrapped them in towels to use as footwarmers for everyone in her family. She also got out the grill and enjoyed steak from the freezer.

Stay safe and warm and well, everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 09:09 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Okay folks, this has got to be a record...we have 21 Dollar General stores in the County, a County of 60,000 people. They must be replacing all the old Country stores of days gone by but, I don't remember that many of them. I don't have a problem with Dollar General, they are good stores for a quick stop for something you need. I stop at one occasionally in the western part of the State and it has a lot more Grocery items, it must be a super center.

How many you all got?
I believe there's 15 in Graves County, 3 in Mayfield. I used to work in one and there are a lot of people who will spend $200-300 on groceries at DG just so they won't have to go to Walmart. The closest one to us that has produce is in Fredonia, in Caldwell County. I joke that the DG folks find a place with more than 10 houses and build a store.
Here's a funny video about Dollar General I posted on another C-D thread about the store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIqC5y1zm-4

Old 03-04-2021, 02:22 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,798,494 times
On my way up home tomorrow, the ancestral farm goes on the auction block Saturday and I need to be there just because. Any travel conditions due to the rain/flooding that might impact us? We usually go I-65 north, Blue Grass Parkway east, US 127 to Frankfort. Never had a problem, but I had never seen the “Singing Bridge” hit by a breakaway marina before this morning. Hope all are well and dry.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:19 PM

This is on KYDOT District 5's page for Franklin County about the Singing Bridge.
"Franklin County:

U.S. 60X (Singing Bridge): The 'Singing Bridge' was closed to traffic after a crash on Saturday, Nov. 21. It will remain closed until a repair can be made. Motorists must utilize the Capital Avenue Bridge to cross the river."
https://transportation.ky.gov/Distri...-Roadshow.aspx

Besides Franklin County, if you know the counties you'll be traveling through, check the district they're in for road condition updates. Each district also has facebook pages you can keep an eye on

https://transportation.ky.gov/Distri...s/default.aspx

Have a safe trip

Old 03-04-2021, 04:59 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
On my way up home tomorrow, the ancestral farm goes on the auction block Saturday and I need to be there just because. Any travel conditions due to the rain/flooding that might impact us? We usually go I-65 north, Blue Grass Parkway east, US 127 to Frankfort. Never had a problem, but I had never seen the “Singing Bridge” hit by a breakaway marina before this morning. Hope all are well and dry.
I hope you have safe travels. There are areas that still have high water but so far the areas you’ll be traveling in, other than the Frankfort area, are not flooding.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:31 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,798,494 times
Thank you for the road info, the trip went well as you both predicted. Happy to report that one of the cousins stepped up and outbid the other bidders to keep it in the family. This property was originally deeded to our family over 200 years ago, so it was a great relief to all the relatives at the auction.

If the ride up and back is any indicator, Kentucky is going to have a beautiful spring this year. Some of the views off State 555/68/63 were simply stunning. Glad we took the long way home.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:29 PM

Out of boredom I watch youtube quite a bit. Yesterday I found 2 or 3 videos of that marina hitting the bridge. There is another bridge down from the Singing bridge and it all went under that one. Not so lucky on the second. lol

Old 03-28-2021, 09:55 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,883,070 times
Any of you Lexton people know any of these folks? I been watching and listening to them for several years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgiIFBgJ-lM

Nearly 8 million views for this particular song, that's quite an accomplishment. I understand why, they got this one perfect. Most of their stuff is good but, this one stands out.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:14 PM

72 posts, read 92,483 times
How great was the Derby today with all the usual festivities. Like normal and it was great to see.
The biggest belly laugh was the all the fans boooing the governor. What a donkey that guy is and you could see it in his face. He has to go away.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:12 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Can I say how much I'm enjoying living in Kentucky? I retired and moved here nearly 6 months ago and have no regrets. There's always something to do in this little town. Coming up in the next few weeks is the Veterans Day parade, and free concert at the Old Opera House Saturday evening. The local historical theater downtown will be having a special showing of a movie which will benefit a firefighter here that needs a new kidney.
There's a special event this Saturday afternoon called "Empty Bowls". You donate $25 to help the local food bank and in return you can pick out a bowl made by a local artist and you enjoy a soup, bread and dessert prepared by local chefs and you keep the bowl.

I've never lived anywhere like this before, where people get involved and care about their neighbors. I no longer need to be concerned about walking alone anywhere at night here or going to the gas station after dark. Most people I've met have been very welcoming and great to me. My neighbors are friendly, incredibly nice down to earth people. It may be hard to believe but my life here is almost the polar opposite of where I came from. In some ways, I feel like I'm living a dream. My biggest regret now is that I didn't find a way to move here many years ago.

Last edited by marino760; 11-10-2021 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky