Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 12:44 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,101,600 times

Advertisements

Happy Fourth of July!

Great picture Marino!
Patriotism is alive and well in America,
especially the smaller towns and cities.

Parades and fireworks and fun in Lexington for the fourth
Fourth of July Lexington

In Louisville free ice cream to children who recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
https://www.wlky.com/article/louisvi...-july/44431240

And Waterfront park in Louisville with the Louisville Orchestra and fireworks
https://ourwaterfront.org/annual-eve...terfront-park/

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 07-04-2023 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2023, 10:33 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
Interesting article on tap water quality in the USA and which states have better tap water than others. My current location (not in the US) has excellent tap water - soft, no chemical or chlorine taste, no sediment and great taste right out of the tap. When you live in a location with good water after living in places with lousy tap water (Arizona, Southern California), you appreciate good tap water more than folks who have never lived in places with lousy tap water.

Guess what state appears on the top of the list? Do you drink the tap water in your town without the need for a water filter? Soft or hard water? I am returning to the USA at the end of September and have considered Ohio or Kentucky for my next place to set up home base. If the tap water is good, that's a big plus to me.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/08/best...wer-study.html

Old 07-21-2023, 02:05 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,795 times
Does anyone know Kentucky's workforce participation rate? With rumored, "record unemployment", it must be close to 100%...

Old 09-08-2023, 10:29 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,101,600 times
How strange....a Flamingo (which is definitely not a native species) has spotted at Cave Run Lake

Quote:
John Brunjes with Kentucky Fish and Wildlife says it was likely one of several swept north from the Yucatan Peninsula by Hurricane Idalia.
“If you’re in the eye of a hurricane. A lot of times, you can hear tons and tons of birds overhead. Oftentimes, they find a safe spot, and the storm just carries them,” said Brunjes.
Brunjes says this particular storm caused flamingos to flock into nine different U.S. states, adding that it’s the first-ever recorded sighting of the flamboyant bird in Kentucky.

https://www.wymt.com/2023/09/05/non-...kentucky-lake/

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 09-08-2023 at 11:53 AM..

Old 09-19-2023, 07:22 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I too am very happy that all turned out so well with your move here. You picked a lovely little town to call home.
The Clooney's are and were one of the great show business families.

I had a itty bitty crush on George when I was younger and My late Father was going on and on about how George's Aunt Rosemary was one of the biggest Hollywood stars of his generation (I think he had a little bitty crush on her, or so it sounded!)

You must be in great shape to take those stairs Marino, I'm doing good just trying to get up my small stairs here in my house! And those stairs look super steep!
I'm 74 and used to watch her, and loved her, she had a unique voice, and she seemed so genuine and loving....she was beautiful.....

who didn't have a crush on George....? lol....

Old 09-20-2023, 05:40 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Interesting article on tap water quality in the USA and which states have better tap water than others. My current location (not in the US) has excellent tap water - soft, no chemical or chlorine taste, no sediment and great taste right out of the tap. When you live in a location with good water after living in places with lousy tap water (Arizona, Southern California), you appreciate good tap water more than folks who have never lived in places with lousy tap water.

Guess what state appears on the top of the list? Do you drink the tap water in your town without the need for a water filter? Soft or hard water? I am returning to the USA at the end of September and have considered Ohio or Kentucky for my next place to set up home base. If the tap water is good, that's a big plus to me.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/08/best...wer-study.html
I use tap water for all my water needs. Tap water here is soft, much softer than what I was used to in CA. It's like night and day.

Old 09-20-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm 74 and used to watch her, and loved her, she had a unique voice, and she seemed so genuine and loving....she was beautiful.....

Everyone here always has nothing but good things to say about Rosemary. Back in the 50s when everything was still segregated the city as I mentioned threw her a parade after she made her first big movie.
Rosemary's best friend from childhood was an African American woman who Rosemary remained very close to.
Well the city didn't think it was appropriate for Rosemary's best friend to accompany her in the parade and sit with her in the convertible. Rosemary told them she would not participate and there would be no parade in her honor without her best friend along side her. She was included and everyone had a grand time.

I recently saw Rosemary's brother (George's father) at a local cafe having breakfast here downtown.

Old 09-21-2023, 01:33 PM

It must be the end of summer. The last paddle boat of the season docked here today. It's been weeks since we've had a good soaking rain. Things are really drying up.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

I forgot I have this image of Rosemary Clooney from January 7, 1953 and thought you would enjoy seeing it. The day was made "Rosemary Clooney Day" and a city holiday.
The city renamed a street after her following the parade. Here she's breaking a bottle of champagne on the new street sign.

Here is a picture of Blanche Mae, Rosemary's best friend for life and a little bit about how they became best friends.

"It was when Rosemary lived above the store with Mawley and Papa Clooney and Blanchie came to the hotel to wait for her mother that the two girls spent most of their time together. It was in the apartment above the store where Grandma Clooney would fix the girls little sandwiches for them to eat while they played"

Last edited by marino760; 09-22-2023 at 08:36 AM..

Old 09-25-2023, 01:33 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Everyone here always has nothing but good things to say about Rosemary. Back in the 50s when everything was still segregated the city as I mentioned threw her a parade after she made her first big movie.
Rosemary's best friend from childhood was an African American woman who Rosemary remained very close to.
Well the city didn't think it was appropriate for Rosemary's best friend to accompany her in the parade and sit with her in the convertible. Rosemary told them she would not participate and there would be no parade in her honor without her best friend along side her. She was included and everyone had a grand time.

I recently saw Rosemary's brother (George's father) at a local cafe having breakfast here downtown.
Mario I loved her as a kid she had a very soft distinct voice
I can hear it now thinking about her. What a beautiful woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky