Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 07:27 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,271,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Pretty picture Marino. So green this time of year.

Not sure I would be able to walk up all those steps any more though!
Congrats on having you picture published!
I'll be 64 soon and still occasionally make it up or down these steps on my walks. They are actually steeper than they look in the photo. It almost reminds me of places in Europe, built before the automobile with much thought given to pedestrians living among steep hills.
One thing I absolutely love about living here is being able to walk anywhere downtown which includes this area. The old Clooney house next to these steps at the top is on the national registry of historic places and has a beautiful view of the Ohio River. This would have also been George Clooney's grandparents home. I've met several people who used to play with George here when he was a child and teenager and even a few who are now elderly seniors who knew Rosemary.
I met the gentleman who lives there now and he was very proud of the house and as usual very eager to tell stories about it.

Last edited by marino760; 05-26-2023 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 04:40 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
I think I would be walking around on the street to avoid those steps, but nice picture!

Old 05-30-2023, 04:41 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'll be 64 soon and still occasionally make it up or down these steps on my walks. They are actually steeper than they look in the photo. It almost reminds me of places in Europe, built before the automobile with much thought given to pedestrians living among steep hills.
One thing I absolutely love about living here is being able to walk anywhere downtown which includes this area. The old Clooney house next to these steps at the top is on the national registry of historic places and has a beautiful view of the Ohio River. This would have also been George Clooney's grandparents home. I've met several people who used to play with George here when he was a child and teenager and even a few who are now elderly seniors who knew Rosemary.
I met the gentleman who lives there now and he was very proud of the house and as usual very eager to tell stories about it.
It warms my heart how much you love your adopted Kentucky home.

Old 05-30-2023, 06:27 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,101,600 times
I too am very happy that all turned out so well with your move here. You picked a lovely little town to call home.
The Clooney's are and were one of the great show business families.

I had a itty bitty crush on George when I was younger and My late Father was going on and on about how George's Aunt Rosemary was one of the biggest Hollywood stars of his generation (I think he had a little bitty crush on her, or so it sounded!)

You must be in great shape to take those stairs Marino, I'm doing good just trying to get up my small stairs here in my house! And those stairs look super steep!

Old 05-30-2023, 06:56 AM

Thank you Oldhag and Crazy Cat Lady. I did a lot of research and visited several times before moving here. I even watched city council meetings on the internet to see what was happening in town and what the current issues were before moving. I love history and this town is chock full of it from old haunted mansions, to homes which participated in the underground railroad. One of the last conflicts of the Revolutionary War was fought just a few miles from here which took the life of Daniel Boone's son.
I've joined a historical group which meets weekly at the museum to discuss local history and I've also applied to volunteer at a food bank run by the church I attend. I also volunteer with the City and am on their Architectural Review Board for the historic district.
No place is perfect, but this town suits me very well. I've made some good friends here too which I can do things with like going out to eat or the movies.

Speaking of the Clooney's, these murals are painted on the flood wall. The one of the convertible automobile depicts Rosemary being driven through the parade route on "Rosemary Clooney Day" with I think her mother or perhaps grandmother. The African American woman in the car with her was her best friend from childhood but I don't remember her name at the moment.
The first mural on the left is a young Rosemary.
George Clooney has a residence just up the river a few miles from here in Augusta. He's been known to come into town to buy a locally made pie occasionally but I've never seen him. Several people here still remain friends with him though.

Old 06-01-2023, 05:18 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
I visit the KY chat thread now and then to enjoy Marino's photos and read his interesting and well-written updates on everyday life in Maysville. It's like a breath of fresh air on CD.

Old 06-21-2023, 11:15 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,101,600 times
A bear was spotted in Lexington, in South Lexington! Yikes~
https://www.wave3.com/2023/06/20/lex...4uuS29UEnZzyUY

Looks like it was out toward Raven Run.

Old 06-21-2023, 02:36 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
About 30 or so years ago while I was working for the state highway department, our assistant foreman was on the way back from the district office in Madisonville, when he radioed us that he say a black bear run across the highway in front of him. You wouldn't believe all the jokes he heard after that one, Smokey Bear was heading east on vacation, etc. He was heard in all 10 counties in our district, from the Ohio to the Tennessee state line, so you can imagine how much they teased him. Somebody even left a teddy bear in our county's mail box at the district office with a tag that said, "I'm lost! If found, please return me to **** . (his name)

Old 06-23-2023, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I visit the KY chat thread now and then to enjoy Marino's photos and read his interesting and well-written updates on everyday life in Maysville. It's like a breath of fresh air on CD.
Here's something you may find interesting. We have an old "haunted" hospital in town which recently was granted $2,000,000 for brownfield remediation. The building has been empty and falling apart since the 1980s when a new hospital was built on the other side of town. The old hospital has been sold and resold time and again with each owner promising to revitalize it and then nothing happens, so sadly it continued to sit and deteriorate.
It's an absolutely beautiful old building if you can get past its current condition. It was built in the 1920s and at least half the town was born there. It sits on top of a hill with a spectacular view of downtown and the Ohio River.

A few months ago, the CEO of an organization from Morehead was in town. This organization (Frontier Housing) works in Northeast Ky counties to help provide affordable housing for everyday people. They build homes, revitalize old buildings using federal grant money which they apply for, help people acquire home loans and help with home repairs. While in town, the CEO saw the old hospital and thought it was a worthy project they would take on.
They purchased the building, had it inspected for integrity and applied for the Federal EPA grant for removal of toxic materials including asbestos, lead paint, and whatever else they may encounter.

The EPA grant came through and beginning July, we'll see work crews cleaning the place up and getting it ready for the next phase. It will most likely become apartments which means it will be put to good use giving people downtown more housing options.
I can't wait to see this beautiful old building brought back to life and put to good use. I'm very much into historical preservation and this old historical gem makes my heart happy knowing she will shine again and contribute to the community.

The hospital as it stands now

The hospital as it looked in it's prime in the 1960s

A link to Frontier Housing
https://frontierky.org/

Last edited by marino760; 06-23-2023 at 04:16 PM..

Old 07-04-2023, 07:30 AM

Happy 4th of July from Maysville Kentucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky