Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 12:01 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times

Advertisements

There are several towns around here that do the Empty Bowl project. The "local artist" who made the bowls, down here, could be you. A church (except for last year for obvious reasons) has a bowl painting day where anybody who wants to can come in and paint a bowl. Those bowls are then sold and used at an even with representatives of most of the local restaurants have tables set up with their food. I agree with what you say about the people. I've found that a lot in the few different places I've lived in Kentucky.

Here's the Empty Bowls in Paducah.
https://www.facebook.com/emptybowlspaducah/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 04:53 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Can I say how much I'm enjoying living in Kentucky? I retired and moved here nearly 6 months ago and have no regrets. There's always something to do in this little town. Coming up in the next few weeks is the Veterans Day parade, and free concert at the Old Opera House Saturday evening. The local historical theater downtown will be having a special showing of a movie which will benefit a firefighter here that needs a new kidney.
There's a special event this Saturday afternoon called "Empty Bowls". You donate $25 to help the local food bank and in return you can pick out a bowl made by a local artist and you enjoy a soup, bread and dessert prepared by local chefs and you keep the bowl.

I've never lived anywhere like this before, where people get involved and care about their neighbors. I no longer need to be concerned about walking alone anywhere at night here or going to the gas station after dark. Most people I've met have been very welcoming and great to me. My neighbors are friendly, incredibly nice down to earth people. It may be hard to believe but my life here is almost the polar opposite of where I came from. In some ways, I feel like I'm living a dream. My biggest regret now is that I didn't find a way to move here many years ago.
I’m so glad you are enjoying your new adopted hometown.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:25 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Can I say how much I'm enjoying living in Kentucky? I retired and moved here nearly 6 months ago and have no regrets. There's always something to do in this little town. Coming up in the next few weeks is the Veterans Day parade, and free concert at the Old Opera House Saturday evening. The local historical theater downtown will be having a special showing of a movie which will benefit a firefighter here that needs a new kidney.
There's a special event this Saturday afternoon called "Empty Bowls". You donate $25 to help the local food bank and in return you can pick out a bowl made by a local artist and you enjoy a soup, bread and dessert prepared by local chefs and you keep the bowl.

I've never lived anywhere like this before, where people get involved and care about their neighbors. I no longer need to be concerned about walking alone anywhere at night here or going to the gas station after dark. Most people I've met have been very welcoming and great to me. My neighbors are friendly, incredibly nice down to earth people. It may be hard to believe but my life here is almost the polar opposite of where I came from. In some ways, I feel like I'm living a dream. My biggest regret now is that I didn't find a way to move here many years ago.

So happy to hear that the move worked out so well for you and that you are happy.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:03 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,393 times
gman...are you okay?

Old 12-11-2021, 08:45 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Those tornado damage scenes are absolutely devastating.
Good thoughts for y’all with the recovery.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Those tornado damage scenes are absolutely devastating.
Good thoughts for y’all with the recovery.

We're okay here in Southeastern Ky. But out west not so good.

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:39 PM

I borrowed this from someone but, it's every word the truth.

Caution in regards to all the people wanting to move here from New York and California as well as many other heavily populated cities across the country, as well as those wanting to visit.

Before you come to Kentucky to visit you must be aware of what is happening here.
There's a housing shortage, rent has tripled, and folks are vacationing here in record numbers...
So if you plan on moving here, or just plan on vacationing in our woods, river bottoms, or lakes this summer, I think you should know that wolf spiders, fire ants and bedbugs have infested hotels and motels across the area due to dryer than usual weather. The woods will eat you alive with ticks and chiggers.

Our lakes are full of gators, fresh water sharks, and creepy old guys wearing speedos
Our rivers are full of drunks in tubes peeing themselves while the banjo players lay waiting in the bushes
Mountain lions have eaten many domesticated animals and possibly some small children.
The local bear and coyote population are all 'in heat' and think your wife/girlfriend is hot.
Snakes... don’t even get me started on the water headed copper moccasins here and the diamond back rattle Cobras

The poison ivy has overtaken all other vegetation
We have had bear sightings at every park and town they are after your picnic baskets….and some cougars have been spotted in motel rooms.
Watch out for the jackalopes; they have been extremely aggressive this season.
We have Bigfoot invading our parks and it’s their mating season. Porcupines are "stabbing" small children should they dare to utilize the local playground equipment.
Skunks have made their way over and multiplied at unprecedented rates and wander the local campgrounds in packs looking for beer.

Murder hornets!?! We’ve got great black clouds of murder hornets, and swarms of giant crickets and even some Alabama grasshoppers.
Scorpions have been congregating in massive quantities under rocks, logs, wooden steps, automobiles, and tarantulas are now stealing peoples food and biting like crazy.

I’m pretty sure all private tiger owners (we had a jump in them after Tiger King) have released their cats into the streets of our cities and towns.
Head lice now fly and we have vampire bats.

Oh and no one is vaccinated!
And the only thing all our restaurants serve is fried catfish and tater tots.

Come at your own risk!

I hear Florida and Texas are really nice though...

Old 04-17-2022, 12:49 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
There's a Youtube meteorologist from Pikeville that is taking over severe weather coverage. Ryan Hall (Y'all) channel is now getting higher ratings than the Weather Channel from his home studio with simply himself talking about severe storms. Last severe outbreak his live stream had a staggering 700k viewers. He is has a meteorology degree from Mississippi State (the most elite college for TV meteorology) but was only a weekend weather forecaster at WYMT.

This is his coverage from the awful Dec 10, 2021 outbreak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Ga1P1Zmyg

Old 04-27-2022, 08:57 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I just wanted to share a pic I took this morning of the old courthouse and Presbyterian Church both built in 1850. I took it walking by on my way to the bank. The location is Maysville.

Old 04-27-2022, 02:40 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Can't rep but like the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky