Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 AM

728 posts, read 1,677,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
He's from Kentucky and a well known poster on this board.

Also, it's implicit that you're pro-Kentucky and defending the state even while you don't offer any evidence because you hate to see people trash your state.

Likely you hold the "if you're not with it, get out" mentality that most people here do.
The point is: He moved out of state to "wonderful,sunny" California for a better future. Yet in his spare time, he researches negative information regarding Kentucky then posts his findings on City Data. I don't know, I guess I find that, well, odd. Perhaps I'm the type that if you disagree with something, you move on and forget about it. If he wanted to really change things, why not be proactive, and get involved. I guess it's easier to post a bunch of negative junk and p*ss and moan about everything?
Me a cheerleader? Sure, I love Kentucky, but this state has it's share of problems. No denying that.
Well known poster? Wow, good for him. I'm guessing that maybe 80% of his post count is some garbage he researched on Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
He has a long history of posting only negative things about KY. He has moved, which is a good thing, so why come here and continue to post his negativity? Maybe he should research his new state and post about that, because I have read (yes we do read in KY) there is a lot to be concerned about in California also.
Yeah, just a little rumor I've heard for the past twenty years or so-California has a problem with illegal immigration. Again, I cannot verify it. I'm off work today, so I'll dedicate 90% of my free time, much like the OP, for negative info about California. I'll make sure to post my findings on a daily basis.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Your writing makes me believe that you probably got your M.A. in English from ITT Tech, as you do not write anywhere near a level that would be considered proficient to earn a graduate degree anywhere reputable with any sort of accreditation.

Also, if there is more money to be made in heating and cooling than with a college degree then KY's problem of "brain drain" is finally explained. One wonders why the top talent leaves this state? There are no REAL jobs here unless you count the ones you get through the Good Ol' Boys Network or HVAC repair and installation.

Why does Minnesota (a heavily agrarian state) have nearly twice as many students at 8th grade that are proficient in math, science, English and reading than Kentucky?

Yeah, there are uneducated and lazy people everywhere but Kentucky has more than most places and that only drags us down. What is truly astonishing is that nobody cares to fix it but instead says "don't like it? Leave!"
AWWW, how cute. Academic bullying, LOL. You're just a real Internet tough guy aren't you? Just as I don't impress you, know this: You impress me very little, if at all. If your life, (and the same could be said for the closet liberal OP, and Visivaldis) were so rich, you would have better things to do than trash everything on a public forum.
No real jobs here? I have a pretty good job. Well, it pays my mortgage, gas bills, vehicle payments, kids clothes, medical bills, etc. Probably not good enough for you, I'm thinking. Well, wait, I'm an RN. But, yeah, well below your standards of "good living."
You complain that we have adopted the "Love it or leave it" mantra. Perhaps you should examine yourself. Instead of b*tching about everything coming and going, why don't *you* get involved and push for change. I don't know, start at the grassroots level, maybe you'll find like minded people. What exactly are you accomplishing by posting a bunch of drivel on CD??

Old 09-08-2011, 07:36 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
The best way to solve problems is to pretend they don't exist. Put on the rosy red Kentucky glasses and say, "Everything is fine and wonderful!"
And anyone who doesn't think so should pack up and git out!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,108,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visvaldis View Post
the best way to solve problems is to pretend they don't exist. Put on the rosy red kentucky glasses and say, "everything is fine and wonderful!" :d
and anyone who doesn't think so should pack up and git out!
yeh buddy and don't ye' even thank uh tellin' nuhbuddy else that they needda do nuttin' 'cause dey able ta change it even do' we don' wunner.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:53 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
What???

UKUKUK, if you want to write convincing Kentucky dialect, you'll need to do a lot better than whatever that garbled mess of a word salad was. BTW, have you ever studied origins and development of the English language, in particular the Scots-Irish roots of typical mid- and eastern Kentucky speech? It's most interesting. If you're interested in reading convincing local dialect, check out some of the older "local color" authors: John Fox, Jr., and James Lane Allen come to mind. It's not something you encounter very often in more recent literature, as many are offended by it. Which was your clear intention here; to offend rather than to enlighten. Cut if out, or at least, learn do it convincingly.

But let me guess, it's likely that such studies would not be of interest to you, as you've already condemned and/or rejected everything concerning Kentucky's history, culture, heritage, contemporary life, etc. Ad nauseum.

No, I am NOT telling you - or Visvaldis - to "get out", or suggesting that you leave. I AM suggesting that you open your minds, realize that you may have much to learn, and begin to inform yourselves and stop rejecting everything around you. Horizons can be broadened in other ways than by travel to other places. Go deeper into wherever you happen to find yourself, and you'll be better for it.

Having lived in Lexington, Cincinnati, Washington, DC, Louisville, Nashville, and having spent considerable time in other cities in other areas without actually living there, I've found that all of these places have much to commend them, even as they also are not perfect or in some case, ideal for me. Lexington has been home for a long, long time, and I'm still learning fascinating things about my city, along with learning more about things which need attention.

I'm contributing when and in what ways I can to try to address some current needs. What are either of you doing? Besides continually carping away here. I'm retired and have time to spend online - though I'm very active offline as well. You two guys are in your twenties and I assume working full-time - how on earth to you manage to be online as much as you are? Dare I say, "Get a life?" Rather than a virtual life, perhaps...

Visvaldis: In our last exchange on this thread, I suggested some ways to follow-up with your city government after your initial good suggestion to them appeared to be ignored. I also suggested trying to start a neighborhood association, or joining if it's already in place, then going to work cleaning up your neighborhood. You haven't responded to these suggestions. What do you think of them? Care to give them a try? Do what you can to improve your actual surroundings? Join with like-minded people who share your valid concerns? You can't just claim, "Well, yes, but it will be messy again before you know it". That sort of logic would rule out daily baths and showers...

UKUKUK: You've rejected others' suggestions of interesting activities of all sorts in Lexington and the surrounding area by claiming that they are too middle-brow, predictable, prepackaged and boring for your high level of sophistication (my words, not yours, let's not get into semantics). I think it's highly unlikely that you're participated - not just looked on, but actively participated, i.e. attending ongoing activities more than once and interacted with others present - in all these various activities. Until you do that, stop condemning. You just make yourself look extremely judgmental - and ignorant - otherwise.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 09-08-2011 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: additional thoughts added

Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM

Book lernin' don't get no three pointers, nor score touchdowns. So what good is it? Kentucky has that right!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:29 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,807,824 times
The life this thread has taken is border-line hilarious! Wow! And I can't believe that a handful of individuals just continue to "go at" me even into page six.

Anywho, look, comparing California and Kentucky, to be fair, is comparing apples and oranges. California is just as historic but more modern in image, more culturally and socially diverse, geographically and climatically diverse, financially rich (although taxed into oblivion), gives direct control of many pertinent property and budgetary issues directly to the people (propositions, for better or worse), and is home to some of the world's most cosmopolitan and economically important cities. Kentucky's modern history dates to the early 1700s but has a rich Native American heritage, is steeped in tradition, not very diverse or dynamic, has some of the most spectacular greenery in the world (well, except in the winter), has four full seasons, rich college basketball traditions (nine national championships between two schools) that nearly the entire state is proud of, and down home blue-collar people.

To talk about my new life and compare it point by point to my life in Kentucky is being personally honest. Likewise with cultural, social and political dynamics and idiosyncracies. However, to expect California to be the same as Kentucky or vice versa is ludicrous; the dynamics in each state are very different and have taken drastically different development patterns over 20, 50, 100 years, etc.

Look, let's discuss problems: For Kentucky, the "like it or leave it" mentality is in full effect on this forum much like in real life, so NO surprise there. That mentality will hinder Kentucky from continual growth. Don't get me started on preschool-12th grade; I graduated from one of Kentucky's "premier" school systems and was disgusted by my level of undereducation after graduation. Oh, how woefully prepared I was initially for college. Sure, we have some great private colleges here such as Centre, Berea, Asbury, Transylvania, and even Bellarmine that are nationally acclaimed; however, unless you connect greatly with as a student with student organizations and as an alumnus/a with alumni organizations, the networking needed to find a job and stay in Kentucky can be a difficult task. That's much more so with our less than stellar public universities that, in terms of graduate accreditations, scholarships, patents, and research developments can't light a candle to even those of fellow Southern states such as Georgia and Alabama.

Hell, look at Coldstream Research Park in Lexington. Flop. Look, I had the pleasure of going to Raleigh-Durham last December and came away w/ a nickname for it: "Kentucky done right." Had Kentucky, sometime in the 1950s or 1960s, had the foresight to acknowledge the powerful research presences of UK and UofL and the academic rigor and prestige of Centre and Transylvania, the state legislature could have gone centrally around, say, Frankfort or Waddy and developed and fostered something like Research Triangle Park. Well, today RTP and Silicon Valley, along with Boston's Route 128, Greater Seattle, and even to lesser extents Dallas and Atlanta, have the momentum.

Why did I leave Kentucky? Here's a reason: I genuinely have more hope for the future of California, horrible warts and all, to overcome its hurdles than Kentucky.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 AM

CraigCreek wrote:
"Visvaldis: In our last exchange on this thread, I suggested some ways to follow-up with your city government after your initial good suggestion to them appeared to be ignored. I also suggested trying to start a neighborhood association, or joining if it's already in place, then going to work cleaning up your neighborhood. You haven't responded to these suggestions. What do you think of them? Care to give them a try? Do what you can to improve your actual surroundings? Join with like-minded people who share your valid concerns? You can't just claim, "Well, yes, but it will be messy again before you know it". That sort of logic would rule out daily baths and showers..."

First, whatever I write is not intended as a personal issue with any individuals. I have no grudges.
I doubt that getting the local folks aroused by issues I think are important would be fruitful, much less from someone who is not a Kentuckian. I don't think it's worth the effort and time. I'm sure there may be others who would be interested, but not enough for any impact.
I've lived in Louisville almost 10 years. It was in my second year that I regretted coming here, but my finances and various other situations prevented me from a return to my original city.
I haven't felt comfortable here for years. I might as well be a martian. I've learned not to express my opinions and to avoid any conversations about politics and religion, although I have a load of opinions about such themes.
Since the beginning of September I've entered my countdown. Things for me have changed, I have 19 months until I can depart. Finally, I can get out and await that day like a kid waits on Christmas.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,903,307 times
Something tells me that deep down, some people just aren't happy no matter where they go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky