Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:21 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times

Advertisements

The Ten Least Green States In U.S. (PHOTOS)

Fret not, folks, for Kentucky is not alone in this region.

#10: Illinois
#9: Missouri
#8: Kentucky
#7: Texas
#6: Pennsylvania
#5: New Jersey (this one actually surprises me, doesn't seem like a top 10)
#4: Louisiana
#3: West Virginia
#2: Indiana (this one surprises me, too, doesn't seem like a top 10)
#1: Ohio

The Top Ten Greenest States In U.S.
And don't laugh just because it's the Huffington Post; the original source is 24/7 Wall Street.

That strip mining is enough to do it, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
Let me be the first to say:

Old 04-25-2011, 04:33 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
kentuckydad95 asks, "WHO CARES?"

Well, I do, and so do many of my friends and like-minded acquaintances. This affects all of us and generations to come. If we don't take care of our home, the earth, then who is going to do it? We Kentuckians are blessed to live in an extremely beautiful place, rich with natural resources but we haven't done a very good job of stewarding it. I'd like to see more of our politicians (can't call most of them statemen, unfortunately) become better informed about these crucial issues, and act accordingly rather than favoring special interests and going for short-term gain at the expense of the future.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:01 PM

Well good luck. One less thing for me to worry about. The future will work itself out one way or the other.

I wonder if the other states on this board have people who live to put their state/other states down?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Let me be the first to say:
The "lassiez faire" attitude that you display in the post is all too common in Kentucky and is a major factor as to why big coal, special interests, and other groups easily get what they want. The major air pollution issues along the Ohio Valley was one major reason I was quite hesitant to move to the Louisville metro. The states that are desirable and rank high in all quality of life indicators are generally pretty good stewards of the natural environment that they live in as well...

Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Well good luck. One less thing for me to worry about. The future will work itself out one way or the other.

I wonder if the other states on this board have people who live to put their state/other states down?
The future has already worked its way out in many areas of eastern Kentucky, and it sure isn't a good one.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 PM

I completely agree with the ranking of Indiana as well. Duke Energy is a mammoth coal monopoly in the state, and Indiana has the largest coal generator in the US (Gibson Station). The recycling rate needs major improvement and alternative energy through wind needs much more development. Indiana is the West Virginia of the Midwest with a 97% dependency on coal. That is inexcusable in the year 2011.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The future has already worked its way out in many areas of eastern Kentucky, and it sure isn't a good one.

I am in Murray, soooo....Eastern KY means nothing to me.

Don't ever look for coal to go away anytime soon. Especially seeing as we have a 200 year supply of it.

Anyway, I am anticipating the next story we can look forward to reading about that bashes KY.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:07 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times
Quote:

Don't ever look for coal to go away anytime soon. Especially seeing as we have a 200 year supply of it.

Anyway, I am anticipating the next story we can look forward to reading about that bashes KY.
ask and you shall recieve
Internet report ranks Kentucky as worst run state in America

Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:

I'm more interested in starting dialogue, not diatribe, about the numerous issues facing Kentucky. And there are many.

While there is no such thing as "utopia" (or there is, depending on your context of the definition), I will continue to criticize and suggest until and if there are notable changes in the status quo. And even then I'll continue to champion improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky