Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:49 AM

46 posts, read 68,859 times

Advertisements

I lived in Lauderdale Lakes for all of my life and it is rated orange? How?

My house hold has never had a breakin, a car stolen, mugged or anything. Yes, some convenience stores get robbed here and there but therer is crime EVERYWHERE.

Lauderdale Lakes is peace and calm, not much going on there. They have developed the area beside Park Lakes Elementary to include a pedestrian bridge for students to cross the canal, and also a jogging path for all of its residents to use. Just East of the 441 they have also developed an exercise path with stations beside scatted alongside the canal. The community is also starting to become more diversed.

There a lot of kids who live here so if you are parents your children can have friends to play with on the weekends.

There aren't any drug dealers standing the corner dealing dope. There are no hookers roaming the streets. There isn't any gang bangers holding up residents. Probably the most common compliant you will have is Kids making too much noise while playing on the street.

I don't want to pull the race card, but is it because most of the residents there are of Black and/or Caribbean heritage? Or is it because its not a gated community with white pickett fences and high valued homes and everyone driving a BMW? As a resident who lives in Lauderdale Lakes for 20+ years, this suburb is really boring. Yea, you might get the random corner store hold up or domestic abuse news report on the TV but these happen everywhere. Nothing happens in Lauderdale Lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 04:45 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taii1234 View Post

My house hold has never had a breakin, a car stolen, mugged or anything. Yes, some convenience stores get robbed here and there but therer is crime EVERYWHERE.

Lauderdale Lakes is peace and calm, not much going on there. They have developed the area beside Park Lakes Elementary to include a pedestrian bridge for students to cross the canal, and also a jogging path for all of its residents to use. Just East of the 441 they have also developed an exercise path with stations beside scatted alongside the canal. The community is also starting to become more diversed.

There a lot of kids who live here so if you are parents your children can have friends to play with on the weekends.

There aren't any drug dealers standing the corner dealing dope. There are no hookers roaming the streets. There isn't any gang bangers holding up residents. Probably the most common compliant you will have is Kids making too much noise while playing on the street.

I don't want to pull the race card, but is it because most of the residents there are of Black and/or Caribbean heritage? Or is it because its not a gated community with white pickett fences and high valued homes and everyone driving a BMW? As a resident who lives in Lauderdale Lakes for 20+ years, this suburb is really boring. Yea, you might get the random corner store hold up or domestic abuse news report on the TV but these happen everywhere. Nothing happens in Lauderdale Lakes.
Its based more on the overall statistics in your area. You may had had a good personal experience but that doesn't mean that the area is not sub standard. I personally grew up in an orange area but me and my family never ran into any trouble. If I went by my experience I would rate the area dark green but that would be highly inaccurate, in terms of most people's experience in that area.

In general you did a great job man. The map is pretty accurate. I'm not going to nitpick down to communities/blocks because I think that would be overkill. I would however advise people looking in a green area to avoid certain parts of it or people looking in non red/orange areas to know that the other substandard areas have pockets of green in between. For example, my home is located in the standard green category in the map right across the street from the dark green area. Even though the overall area is standard green my community would be considered dark green, it actually has much better security, maintenance, upkeep and aesthetics then the dark green area that's within walking distance.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:05 PM

26 posts, read 53,736 times
This is fantastic!

Old 10-27-2014, 02:43 PM

610 posts, read 746,365 times
Governor's Walk should be green, not light green (I lived there for 19 years until last year). It's off of Atlantic Blvd, between Riverside Dr and NW 87th Ave, with NW 7th St as it's northern border.

There's no way that is of lesser quality than some of the areas immediately surrounding it.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:47 PM

375 posts, read 609,852 times
Default FL Newbie

Great job on this map!

If I'm reading it right, Weston is dark green meaning desirable. But I was under the impression that the further from the beach the less desirable the area - particularly approaching the glades. No?

Old 01-23-2015, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 12,279 times
Default Thank you Jacob Max- Can you rank the cities.locations based on your data points?

I really appreciate the good work on your map. Kudos . Just wondering if you can over lay it with schools data for k-12. I have been commuting to Boca the Bay Area for work and want to buy something . The map is good . Will love a distinct ranking ala 1st to Last based on the mapping to make it easy touse. thanks

Old 02-14-2015, 08:39 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post
Great job on this map!

If I'm reading it right, Weston is dark green meaning desirable. But I was under the impression that the further from the beach the less desirable the area - particularly approaching the glades. No?
As a general rule, and again, there are exceptions depending on whether the neighborhood is in south, central or northern Broward, the more desirable areas are east of US1 and west of University. You'll also find a difference of opinion on this too, moving the western boundary around, sometimes further west. Good luck in your search!

Old 04-08-2015, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 13,691 times
Default Very informative

Your map is helping so much in our search for a nice neighborhood. THANKS!

Old 04-11-2015, 09:58 AM

438 posts, read 653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taii1234 View Post

I don't know how regularly this map is updated, but it seems pretty spot-on to me. Even though I spent some years doing locum work across the country, I grew up in Broward and I've watched it change. There used to be quite a bit more dark green areas here than there are now. Overall, the area has gone down and crime and congestation have increased, but there are certain parts that are very obviously much better than others. And any real quality index will take the whole picture into consideration, not just the isolated incidentals and experiences of certain people in any particular neighborhood. I'm not a fan of Weston, but I will concur with the numerous Westonites on here that it is still one of the best parts of Broward county and I believe that this is largely because the riff raff cannot afford to move there. The same is true of the far west Coral Springs/Parkland area, and anywhere close to or along the beaches or intracoastal waterways. There are a few small pockets of exceptions, but pretty much everywhere else in Broward is game for anything except a dark green color.

I live in west Plantation and much of the areas surrounding me much further west, and to the north and east don't have the best color ratings on this map either. There was a time not all that long ago when Plantation was not like this at all. But the ratings changes came with good reason. Most of these places don't have drug dealers and hookers on every street corner either, and some areas seem relatively quiet with very nice homes---but there is most definitely an increasing ghetto vibe, and it doesn't have anything to do with skin color. Most of the people who live here are decent, educated, professional people. But the riff raff have been moving in as well, and trash comes in all colors. For instance, some people take no pride at all in maintaining their homes and their unkempt properties with all kinds of junk piled up in their yards can drag down a whole street. Not to mention the tricked out cars and trucks in the driveways with the bizarre paint colors with over-sized rims and tires that seem more appropriate for industrial grade equipment. All sorts of shady looking individuals coming and going all hours of the night. Then there's the loud music and racous behavior with no consideration for the neighbors. There was a time when I would never even consider selling my house. That has changed too.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 13,095 times
Default Thank you

First and foremost i would like to thank you for doing this. I am from NY and coming from NY here we have good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods and you know which are which. But In Florida it sometimes goes block by block and street by street. Your map is what I used to look for homes and it worked. I showed it to my realtor and she was impressed although she did say that in some of the good areas that were listed there were pockets of bad areas that you had to be careful of. But otherwise I loved it and it worked I found what i was looking for with your help and I want to extend my appreciation and thanks for you doing this hard work. It is people like you that help others and I want you to know how grateful I really am.

Sam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area