Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 AM

142 posts, read 439,673 times

Advertisements

Got it on the iPhone, no problem! I'll have to check it out on my computer later to see all the extra detail!

What a great map! Thanks for all the time you put into it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 11:48 AM

92 posts, read 457,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Well described, although I wouldn't rank any section of Coral Springs worse than yellow. The Riverside corridor is definitely yellow worthy, but the other areas balance out to be blue IMO.
The Riverside corridor on each side is unincorporated, not Coral Springs, even though they police it. I can see Riverside red and Woodside yellow with blue in between.

Quote:
North Lauderdale- Lots of odd light green spots. Rank them as blue. They are fine but not above average.
Yes, I agree about North Lauderdale, most of it should be dropped a shade especially around Kimberly Blvd south to Tam OShanter. SW 10 st/ct on either side of 78th Ave which should be red.

Quote:
The yellow zone between McNab Road and Bailey Road should be a blue, except for the area of duplexes between 64th Ave and 70th way
Yellow seems about right for Broadview imo.

Quote:
Coconut Creek- Wynmoor retirement community and surrounds should be at least light green. That is a very well maintained community and the neighborhoods off of Copans in the Township are yet another step up.
I think he has most retirement communities this way, Kings Point and Century Village are blue as well.

Quote:
Sunshine Drive is getting rough. It's yellow worthy.
Yes, I was going to post Coconut Creek and Margate next.

Margate: Where Southgate Blvd. ends at 441 from the canal down to Aztec Blvd should be yellow.

South of Atlantic Blvd, E of 441 W and E Palm Drive should be light green as well as over on E River Drive west of 441.

The southwest area of Kimberly Blvd and 441 needs to be yellow, down to 13th St.

Hope you find these helpful and don't mind the micro-analyzing!

Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Generally agree but...

Quote:
Yes, I agree about North Lauderdale, most of it should be dropped a shade especially around Kimberly Blvd south to Tam OShanter. SW 10 st/ct on either side of 78th Ave which should be red.
There are some drug dealers and "thugs" but it is mostly people just trying to get by. Orange seems appropriate. Red is something equivalent to Sistrunk Blvd or Deepside. I'm just not sure if any areas around North Lauderdale are truly "green" worthy, though. Most of current blue areas are appropriately rated, but the green pockets should be dropped to blue. The crime rate in the single family home areas is pretty low but the appearance and "aspect" is not quite there.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,298 times
Wow, loads of more brilliant suggestions. I'll definitely work on the issues said and will reach across the aisle and make the changes based mainly on your opinions, I'll consider and mediate all of them with some fact finding to make the map more accurate. Later guys, please take a look at the map and see if I did well and if it's fine.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:39 PM

I found some more spots in Lauderdale Lakes/Central Broward area....

Carefully avoiding the iffy rental areas near 31st Ave and Oakland Park which should stay orange, there are quiet, well maintained neighborhoods of mostly working class homeowners throughout Lauderdale Lakes that should be labeled blue. In fact, almost all of those older neighborhoods of ranch style homes in Lauderdale Lakes should be ranked blue, or at worst yellow. Despite the sketchy commercial areas and the ring of iffy section 8 rental housing around the commercial areas, not much happens inside of those neighborhoods behind the rental housing and the upkeep is beyond decent. I would actually rank some of the neighborhoods light green if it weren't for that aspect of the area.

Ditto Lauderhill.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=laude...53.55,,0,11.97

This is a pretty typical example of many streets in the mentioned areas which are currently ranked red/orange. Most of the crime skirts but does not reach neighborhoods like this.

I hope to see 441 area and Deepside get cleaned up for the sake of Lauderhill and Lauderdale Lakes. Neither city would be so bad if it weren't for that.

Also, single family homes south of 19th street- yellow, not red. Crime is a little high but fabric of the neighborhood is not bad.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-24-2013 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 01:37 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,878 times
Great map. Thank you!

Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 PM

20 posts, read 57,867 times
This is great, thanks a lot!
I'm moving to hollywood in a few months and this will help a lot.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM

I've went through the suggestions, mediated them and did a little fact finding; and with all that, now the updates are released.

And sathlin, I've made a few but significant changes in Hollywood & Hollywood Beach, so you should take a look again - it's accurate now.

Thanks for the support everybody, and y'all can keep the suggestions and comments coming!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I found some more spots in Lauderdale Lakes/Central Broward area....

Carefully avoiding the iffy rental areas near 31st Ave and Oakland Park which should stay orange, there are quiet, well maintained neighborhoods of mostly working class homeowners throughout Lauderdale Lakes that should be labeled blue. In fact, almost all of those older neighborhoods of ranch style homes in Lauderdale Lakes should be ranked blue, or at worst yellow. Despite the sketchy commercial areas and the ring of iffy section 8 rental housing around the commercial areas, not much happens inside of those neighborhoods behind the rental housing and the upkeep is beyond decent. I would actually rank some of the neighborhoods light green if it weren't for that aspect of the area.

Ditto Lauderhill.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=laude...53.55,,0,11.97

This is a pretty typical example of many streets in the mentioned areas which are currently ranked red/orange. Most of the crime skirts but does not reach neighborhoods like this.

I hope to see 441 area and Deepside get cleaned up for the sake of Lauderhill and Lauderdale Lakes. Neither city would be so bad if it weren't for that.

Also, single family homes south of 19th street- yellow, not red. Crime is a little high but fabric of the neighborhood is not bad.
I really can't put (most of) those areas in the blue or yellow, but I did expand the orange areas in place of the red ones in more residential (single family houses) areas. The number of sex offenders, the avg. home values and income plus the poverty rate are among the worst in the County. They're below even Miami-Dade standards.

Even though these neighborhoods' aspect is okay and people there are mostly nice friendly working class people, I have to keep the map technical and accurate, after all it is mostly for people relocating here; so I wouldn't like someone ending up in a problematic place thinking it's all decent/worthy partially due to the map (especially as it will soon most probably be a Sticky here).

Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM

Withholding a "blue" rating for the homeowner dominated sections of Lauderhill/Lauderdale Lakes does make sense because some of them are ringed by section 8 housing that one must pass to enter these decent pockets, but red is still a bit harsh. You can't put this neighborhood on the same level as Sistrunk. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=laude...322.54,,0,9.59

It's really a "blue" and has mostly working class homeowners, but yellow is fair due to it's surroundings. Check the poverty rates to distinguish the "blue" from the "yellow", but any of those types of neighborhoods with single family homes shouldn't rank as orange or red. Some of the neighborhoods have poverty rates around 10-12%, which is pretty average, and crime stats are not as bad as you would expect. Average home values are low because these neighborhoods were slaughtered by the foreclosure crisis harder than any in the tri-country area. The homes got scooped up quickly (yet again) by investors who bought them for obscenely low prices due to their age and the stigma of a "black" neighborhood. Now they are fixing up the homes and selling them to mostly working class and older black families.

I also noticed Driftwood Acres (Hollywood) is still yellow. Driftwood is no worse than the blue area to the south.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-24-2013 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area