Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:48 AM

652 posts, read 1,652,875 times

Advertisements

Very nice map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,192,672 times
Great job, JacobMax.

Did I read in an earlier post that you're going to request that this is a sticky? I do not see the "sticky" designation on this thread. I think it should be a sticky.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Great job, JacobMax.

Did I read in an earlier post that you're going to request that this is a sticky? I do not see the "sticky" designation on this thread. I think it should be a sticky.
Thank you wizrap,

And yes, I'm going to request it to become a sticky, but that will only be (most probably - depends on Mods final approval) after I make this one into a Final Edition (I'll announce it here soon, only after nearly all faults/errors are corrected), like I did with the Miami-Dade one (already a sticky there).

Everybody, thanks a lot for the support, and let's hope we can make this map into a sticky, as it was done with the Miami-Dade one - it will help a lot of people and will be a great resource.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Just noticed a section of Margate labeled yellow that is no worse than any other sections. The neighborhood near Fern Forest park is a solid blue and doesn't touch any bad areas.
Took a look, most of it is blue now (except a part with low end apt. complexes, trailer homes and a few houses - more or less based on what SoFlaGuy said earlier). Also look at the new changes in (East) Davie, Driftwood and Central Broward. See if it's all good now and if there's something else still to be fixed - if there is give me the specifics and I'll work on it. And thanks a ton for the continuous advice, it's helping a lot for this map to be shaped as factual and correct as possible.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:00 PM

229 posts, read 533,857 times
Jacob, do you look at Google Street View when making the map?

Old 04-27-2013, 12:49 PM

Yes, but it's basically only for assessing an area's aspect and how well kept it is. It's helpful tool, amongst many others I use to help in making the map.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Great job with Driftwood...

With central Broward, I still see a lot of "reds" and "oranges" that aren't even close. Those condos north of Oakland Park Blvd and off of the turnpike aren't so bad for example, definitely "blue" in aspect and at worst yellow overall, and they are still marked red. Ditto the neighborhood I showed you. Blue is generous, but red and orange would be harsh for many of the spots. Basically, I would rank that aforementioned condo complex and anything in Lauderhill/Lauderdale Lakes with single family homes and within a comfortable distance from 441 or Deepside as yellow, and use the city data poverty map to find some of the blue pockets. The lower poverty areas will have less section 8 mixed in.

Also, still noticed no modifications to west Pembroke Pines. The cutoff from light green to solid green seems oddly placed to me as it extends into Towngate but doesn't extend south to Chapel Trail, but the trailer park west of US 27 is definitely a yellow or blue, not light green. I think everything north of Pines Blvd and west of the Spring Valley community should be dark green except for that current light green area you have way west and the aforementioned trailer park, while all of Spring Valley and Towngate should be solid green.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-28-2013 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 PM

I did a little change to include the place you pointed out earlier...I didn't cover it before because I just changed the color from a nearby area to yellow and thought it was within the area. But this area north of Oakland off the Tpke. is properly awful, the avg. income, crime rate and poverty rate is not far off from the Sistrunk area of FTL (the aspect is mostly decent/okay though) - not to mention the shooting right in that area this weekend. Unless you mean the ones south of Oakland west of the Tpke near the Inverrary area...that area I was think of upgrading from red to orange, do you think it's a good call?

And yes, I forgot about the explanation for that area of Pines and also Cooper City (a little area north of Stirling near Palm Ave and 90th Ave). I did give priority to the sub-sections of Chapel Trail and Towngate that are nearer to Sheridan St and/or are gated. I go to that area all the time, I think the Sheridan St corridor is better and much less crowded and have generally better houses and developments than the ones in the Pines Blvd corridor. I know that'll vary, a few times it will be the opposite, but mostly. I nearly moved to one these developments (Pembroke Isles - just west/SW of Spring Valley); unfortunately the commute was too long and the prices were not good enough for the extra gas. Now, that area in Cooper City remained in light green due to a very large concentration of sex offenders, quite worse aspect overall and smaller houses and low income apt. complexes.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Central Broward mostly looks good now, but the area I'm referring to north of Oakland Park is no Kimberly Blvd, let alone Sistrunk. The shooting actually occurred in that area to the east that you have marked as orange. There is some really rough low income housing tucked into that corner by NW 36th street, and even the single family homes in the rest of that square are at a lower level of maintenance than some of the other spots I was defending. I would keep that area orange and set the zone to the west as yellow, not red. It's really not that bad in there.

100% agree with the Cooper City area.

As far as Pines, I can see where you are getting at, but the trailer park west of US 27 still needs to be set as something lower than "green". The only other issue I see with it is that any section of Chapel Trail would definitely be considered more desirable than any part of Towngate, and that Silver Lakes in general is a small step up from any section of Spring Valley. There is no noticeable change in the neighborhoods from north to south as much as there is from east to west. There are plenty of top end gated spots that aren't in the dark green territory, and that non-gated section of Chapel Trail that isn't dark green is home to half million dollar homes, and likewise there are sections of Spring Valley with literally the same layout of homes as the south end that are currently "dark green". Overall I would call it dark green west of the Spring Valley community, and solid green east of there (including Pembroke Falls).

Old 04-29-2013, 06:55 PM

Yes, it actually was there that the shooting happened. I'll extend the red into the specific area (likely), but will upgrade that area you said just off the Tpke. and maybe one or two other spots from red to orange (will try to look at local apt. reviews) - I can't do yellow really, otherwise I'd be saying that these areas as bad (or as good) as a few worse off areas of Coral Springs and parts of East Miramar and Downtown/East Davie.

Now, about West Pines, yes that trailer park should be yellow; but the issue is that there are townhouse and even a few SFH complexes just west/northwest of the west end of Chapel Trail, plus one south of it. And there are two just west/southwest of the Walmart Supercenter. How should they be rated? Maybe blue to the trailer and the complexes west of Chapel, and the other cited here go to light green (or maybe solid/regular green??)

About the Sheridan St corridor also in West Pines, I'll look further into it, probably make a few minor changes - but areas on the Pines Blvd corridor won't be upgraded (probably - may happen though). I'll go specific on that issue, look block by block, sub-section by sub-section.

Just a last question, I was thinking of putting the area near Island Dr and Miramar Pkwy in East Miramar to the light green. It's strictly residential, most homes look pretty reasonable and proper, plus the stats are good and better than areas around it (mostly in blue now, like this area itself).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area