Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:23 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Which specific Browards County neighborhoods in select Broward County cities have the worst homicide rates?

Last edited by polo89; 04-10-2012 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
None. Homocides are low in Broward County. All other crimes are above the national average in most areas. Especially robberies, burglaries, assaults, property crimes, and drug related crimes. But murders have never been a significant problem here.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 AM

But which neighborhoods have the highest homicide rate? Even if it's not that high. Is there some sort of website where or link where I can look up neighborhood murders? Is there a place I can go to find a Broward County or Dade County homicide map? And Broward never had a problem for murders? Broward County had 118 murders as recently as 2007. It dropped down to 67 last year from what I've seen, but I'm sure there was a time when there were more murders than usual, even if it wasn't that bad per capita.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,803 times
Broward has 1.7 million people, spread through 30 cities and unincorporated areas. When you try to spread such a low number of murders out across that area, you really don't come up with anything statistically significant. Many homicides are domestic situations or situations where people knew each other. If you only look at the number for a given area, it doesn't tell the story. With numbers so low, one bad domestic situation like a spouse killing their children and the other spouse would lead you to conclude that's a high homicide area when, in fact, that may be the first murder in the area in decades. Also, do the statistics include traffic homicides (drunk driving)?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM

If Broward has 118 homicides, in 16 of 30 cities(because many cities average only 0 to 2 annually) than there must be areas where high homicides are an annual problem. It's not like Broward has 118 cities and each city had 1 homicide. Some cities will only have 1, and others will have 10 to 22 in concentrated areas. Broward as a whole doesn't have a homicide problem, but certain neighborhoods in certain cities do i'm sure. And remember, the Broward Sherrif's office has been caught before in undercoating and or "fixing" certain crime stats.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:47 PM

109 posts, read 310,869 times
broward has high CRIME . my good buddy is a BSO and he tells me Ggng violence is up 10 fold last 10 years due to haitins influx in to Broward , and other immigrant undesireables . he says crime is HIGHEST since the 1980s when hookers were seen on federal at all hours day & night . just last week , a 20 something haitan immigrant black dude cut up his MOTHER and stuffed her parts in a trash bag , stowed her in the bathtub while he partied for 7 days . every day watch channel 7 news , shooting , pedefiles , drive bys, etc . we're planning a bail out next year ....

Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 PM

36 posts, read 85,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Vuckovich View Post
broward has high CRIME . my good buddy is a BSO and he tells me Ggng violence is up 10 fold last 10 years due to haitins influx in to Broward , and other immigrant undesireables . he says crime is HIGHEST since the 1980s when hookers were seen on federal at all hours day & night . just last week , a 20 something haitan immigrant black dude cut up his MOTHER and stuffed her parts in a trash bag , stowed her in the bathtub while he partied for 7 days . every day watch channel 7 news , shooting , pedefiles , drive bys, etc . we're planning a bail out next year ....
Not trying to start an argument, but where do you get your news stories? If you are referring to the Renette Emile murder, she came to America as a child which means her son Kit was not an immigrant, he was American. He was 16 and he stabbed her stabbed her 14 times, but never cut her up nor stuffed her in a trash bag in the bathtub. He wrapped her in her bedsheets and covered her with detergent. And this was all in DADE!

None the less it was horrible, but don't go spouting half truths! The OP was asking for info on Broward.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
As others have stated, the homicide rate is low over a large area, and there aren't really any true "hot spots" in the county. Even in 2007, the homicide rate did not surpass the national average and the homicides really occurred in various different areas. There is probably a slightly higher concentration of homicides in the dead central Broward area, around the 441 area between Broward Boulevard and Commercial Boulevard, and quite a few seem to happen every year around the Hollywood area (no particular section), still not really amounting to be a sky high rate. Miramar also tends to have a few homicides a year, still a low rate compared to even Hollywood, but slightly more consistent than other areas, and it is worth noting it's border with Miami-Dade County. Crime hotspots in Broward tend to be small dens of drug activity and/or property crime, mixed in with areas that have average crime rates, and these areas are not necessarily high in homicide rates. Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes, Coral Springs, Hallandale, North Lauderdale, Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Sunrise, Miramar, Dania Beach and Davie, more or less, possess large swaths of areas with an "average" level of crime but these more dangerous "pockets" mixed in, becoming more "below average" heading further away from the bad pockets. For example, a high level of drug activity occurs in a small triangle of Davie south of Stirling Road, with the surrounds mostly consisting of working-class housing that isn't particularly dangerous, although safer areas certainly exist. Some other cities, like Margate and Pembroke Pines among others, have sections that give off an iffy appearance, but don't have any real dens of rampant day to day crime. For example, areas east of Palm Avenue in Pembroke Pines can give off a run down appearance but don't really have an elevated crime rate.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:54 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
If Broward has 118 homicides, in 16 of 30 cities(because many cities average only 0 to 2 annually) than there must be areas where high homicides are an annual problem. It's not like Broward has 118 cities and each city had 1 homicide. Some cities will only have 1, and others will have 10 to 22 in concentrated areas. Broward as a whole doesn't have a homicide problem, but certain neighborhoods in certain cities do i'm sure. And remember, the Broward Sherrif's office has been caught before in undercoating and or "fixing" certain crime stats.
How do you know this if you haven't looked up the stats? They are easy to find on google.com. There is no area of Broward County that had 10-22 homicides. Fort Lauderdale, Oakland Park, North Lauderdale, Lauderdale Lakes, and Lauderhill are typically the highest crime areas. But I doubt any had more than 4-5 murders last year.

As I said before, murders have never been prevalent here. All other crimes are very high in those cities I mentioned, but not murders.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:57 PM

109 posts, read 310,869 times
.... But Broward Coounty IS Hit & Run Capital of the World .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area