Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 35,737 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy a house in a Jewish neighborhood in Broward. We have 1 toddler and 1 on the way and would like to find a home to accommodate our growing family. We currently live in Downtown Hollywood and were wondering where to look? Of course good schools are a must, synagogues within walking distance, kosher markets nearby, and a nice family atmosphere would be great. We are former New Yorkers and have found it difficult to distinguish which areas have larger Jewish communities/populations. Can anyone inform me about Weston? I hear that it's beautiful, but it doesn't seem to have anywhere to buy kosher meat or very many temples. Am I misinformed? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
P.S. We can't afford anything over $300,000-$350,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 PM

30 posts, read 95,978 times
West Hollywood has a large Israeli population and a new public school that is "Jewish" but doesn't teach religious classes during the day.

Weston has a few synagogues, reform, conservative and Chabad.

We're planning to move to Parkland, with reform and Chabad synagogues.

Not sure about Kosher food and/or Orthodox communities.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preggo1977 View Post
My husband and I are looking to buy a house in a Jewish neighborhood in Broward. We have 1 toddler and 1 on the way and would like to find a home to accommodate our growing family. We currently live in Downtown Hollywood and were wondering where to look? Of course good schools are a must, synagogues within walking distance, kosher markets nearby, and a nice family atmosphere would be great. We are former New Yorkers and have found it difficult to distinguish which areas have larger Jewish communities/populations. Can anyone inform me about Weston? I hear that it's beautiful, but it doesn't seem to have anywhere to buy kosher meat or very many temples. Am I misinformed? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
I am from NYC also so I know what you mean when you say "Jewish Neighborhoods". You will NOT find a Crown Heights anywhere in Broward. Your best bet would be South Beach. Tons and tons and tons of Jews. Reminds me of a tropical C.H. in some ways. There are a lot of Jews in the Jacaranda/Sunrise area. I would say the area around Sunrise rd. and Nob Hill rd. I use to see Hassids walking around there on the Sabbath. There were not a LOT though, maybe like a group of four men, singing/dancing while walking from the Synagogue (serious). So to recap if you want crown heights but down south, Check out S. Beach *certain parts*. Other wise check out Jacaranda/Sunrise area (adjacent to Jacaranda). Also Boca Raton has a BIG Jewish community too, not sure if its like what your looking for though.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:07 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,249 times
Its not Broward but Aventura is an area you may want to look into. Boca also.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:03 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
I 2nd Still's comments I would check Aventura for Sure.a few of our friends from Swim are jewish and we were talking about that and she said Aventura had a big jewish population..We live in Boca and yes there is a high Concentration here of Jewish People as my husband and I are jewish as well..

Good Luck

Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 35,737 times
Thanks for all of your replies so far. Just for the record, we are not Orthodox, we are more traditional. As for Boca, I've heard many good things about Boca, but my husband works all the way in South Miami and doesn't want to commute so far, plus we have family in West Hollywood and Sunrise, so we don't want to be too far if we can help it.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:12 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preggo1977 View Post
Thanks!
I lived in Weston for 10 years and I still belong to a synagogue there. You can find a house for $300-$350K in Weston but it will not be huge. I am pretty sure that Publix in Weston sells kosher meat. You can find kosher groceries in Publix in Weston.

There are 3 synagogues in Weston. Dor Dorim is reform. B'nai Aviv is conservative and Chabad of Weston is orthodox (Lubuvich). Chabad also attracts a number of less orthodox Jews (myself included) because many just enjoy the warmth, and joy of the congregation. Many memberf of Chabad live close to the synagogue so that they can walk easily on Shabbat.

I currently live in Plantation. There seems to be many Jews here also. Since I still belong to Chabad of Weston I don't really know all of the synagoges in Plantation but I know there is a sizeable Jewish population.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
My husband commutes to Miami its an hour from central boca..we are Reformed Jews and not religious either...We choose boca for many reasons..But there are quiet a few areas you can consider..and if he works in South Miami Id check Aventura...

Good Luck

Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Its not Broward but Aventura is an area you may want to look into. Boca also.
Totally forgot about Aventura! Good call

Old 09-30-2010, 09:27 PM

154 posts, read 552,407 times
Dear Preggo,

Check out Tamarac. We have a lot of Jewish and Orthodox people in our community that walk to shul. We also have many synagogues nearby: Reform, Conservative....even the Chabad of Tamarac.

The Woodlands (where I live) used to be primarily Jewish. Now we have a good mix between young and old, Jewish and Christian. But the majority of residents are Jewish I'd say. The homes are a fantastic bargain because they are large and very retro and the country club serves meals for all the Jewish holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area