Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 08:34 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,865,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Martha Canary claimed she got her famous nickname—Calamity Jane—near what would become Sheridan (pop. 15,804). Canary, a scout for the U.S. Army, had accompanied a captain on a mission to stop an American Indian uprising in 1872. When the captain was shot, Canary returned him to the fort. She said the appreciative captain gave her the name “Calamity Jane, the heroine of the plains.”
You are correct!

Even though her account of how she got her name cannot be confirmed, that was her story and she stuck to it. There have been many other stories as to how she got her name and none of those can be confirmed either so who really knows how she actually got it.

It's your turn now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:40 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,111,858 times
When did the first airplane arrive in Wyoming? What town? Did it land safely?

Old 01-20-2010, 04:07 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,177,012 times
Quote:
When did the first airplane arrive in Wyoming? What town? Did it land safely?

well one site (http://www.wyomingpilots.org/Hangar1/Default.aspx?tabid=74 - broken link) I found said this:
"The Proud History that Launched a Great Future It was back in 1911 that Cheyenne had its first glimpse into the world of aviation. While the air demonstration at the fairgrounds that year was less than impressive, it marked the beginning of what would become a rich aviation history. Throughout the years, the Cheyenne Airport would not only impact the city's economy, but its cultural history, as well."

but the other website that was titled "wyomingfirstflight.com" wouldn't load. ..so I'm guessing that it didn't land perfectly well.. ?

This site, however, has some different dates...
for air mail and such.. Timeline of Wyoming History (http://wygenweb.org/timeline.htm - broken link)
Transcontinental air mail planes are launched
Night air mail flying is inaugurated across Wyoming.
New Douglas airplane makes first flight across the State.
A United Airlines passenger plane crashes in Wasatch Mountains with 19 aboard.

So I guess I'll have to wait and see if I was correct at all..

Old 01-20-2010, 07:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,111,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
well one site (http://www.wyomingpilots.org/Hangar1/Default.aspx?tabid=74 - broken link) I found said this:
"The Proud History that Launched a Great Future It was back in 1911 that Cheyenne had its first glimpse into the world of aviation. While the air demonstration at the fairgrounds that year was less than impressive, it marked the beginning of what would become a rich aviation history. Throughout the years, the Cheyenne Airport would not only impact the city's economy, but its cultural history, as well."

but the other website that was titled "wyomingfirstflight.com" wouldn't load. ..so I'm guessing that it didn't land perfectly well.. ?

This site, however, has some different dates...
for air mail and such.. Timeline of Wyoming History (http://wygenweb.org/timeline.htm - broken link)
Transcontinental air mail planes are launched
Night air mail flying is inaugurated across Wyoming.
New Douglas airplane makes first flight across the State.
A United Airlines passenger plane crashes in Wasatch Mountains with 19 aboard.

So I guess I'll have to wait and see if I was correct at all..
I'll give it to you just for effort.

Actually, the first airplane to arrive in Wyoming was brought by box car to Gillette in 1911. Then was put together and flown safely away from Gillette. It was owned by George Thompson.

Just for history. Charles Lindbergh landed in Gillette in 1916.

So it was kind of a trick question, so you have the next question.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Posting on a similar vein, as your question reminded me... in the mid nineties a seven year old aviatrix, flying with her dad and fight instructor, tragically crashed and died. This happened near what Wyoming city,what was the young girl's name, and what record where they trying to set?

Old 01-20-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I'll give it to you just for effort.

Actually, the first airplane to arrive in Wyoming was brought by box car to Gillette in 1911. Then was put together and flown safely away from Gillette. It was owned by George Thompson.

Just for history. Charles Lindbergh landed in Gillette in 1916.

So it was kind of a trick question, so you have the next question.
An old gal my grandma used to care for told me about the very first plane that came to WY. (she died at 100 yo. back in the mid to late 1980's.) She remembered seeing the train cars going by with the plane in several large pieces. She just knew that from then on life in WY would change forever.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Posting on a similar vein, as your question reminded me... in the mid nineties a seven year old aviatrix, flying with her dad and fight instructor, tragically crashed and died. This happened near what Wyoming city,what was the young girl's name, and what record where they trying to set?
7yo Jessica Dubroff a student pilot from CA crashed near the airport in Cheyenne shortly after takeoff. She was hoping to become the youngest pilot to ever complete a round trip flight across the country. Sadly she, her father and her flight instructor all died. She was on the return flight from the East coast to the West coast of her trip when the accident happened.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:38 AM

Yes.. you are correct. I remember it making national news, and how some thought it was irresponsible for parents to exploit a child in that way.

you're turn Wyoquilter!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Yes.. you are correct. I remember it making national news, and how some thought it was irresponsible for parents to exploit a child in that way.

you're turn Wyoquilter!
That was such a sad story. I wasn't living in WY at the time, but I do remember it being on the news.

Okay for my question:

Which well known head of a country came to visit Sheridan, WY in October of 1984? Where did this person stay during their visit and how are they connected?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:06 AM

215 posts, read 668,644 times
That would be Queen Elizabeth and she is a shoestring relation to the Wallops that live in Big Horn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming