Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,124,616 times

Advertisements

Looks like I have been talking to myself for 3.5 days. Where did everybody go?

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-29-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,177,012 times
Sorry.. I went to my parents to watch their dog.. so finally settled now. Plus I wanted to give someone else a chance to answer >.<

Will have a look at your latest question.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

Who, other then native americans, first discovered coal in Wyoming? When, where and how was it discovered?

Well the who, when and where I found :Wyoming and coal - SourceWatch

"Coal was discovered in Wyoming by the Fremont Expedition of 1843. Commercial mining began with the arrival of the railroad. The first mines were located in Carbon and Rock Springs and were owned by the Wyoming Coal and Mining Company. When the railroad was relocated in 1899 to avoid a steep grade, the Carbon mines and the town around them were abandoned.
90 percent of the stock in Wyoming Coal was held by heads of the Union Pacific. Wyoming Coal leased the land from the railroad, and then sold their coal to the railroad for a profit. In 1874 a government investigation terminated the agreement between the two companies, at which point Union Pacific took over the mines. By controlling the only means of transporting coal, the Union Pacific established a monopoly on coal production."

but this site says

Coal Camps III--Wyoming Tales and Trails"
Cumberland Miners

The presence of coal in the Cumberland area was known as early as 1843 when it was discovered on Brevet Captain John C. Fremont's second expedition (1843-1844). Fremond in his 1845 Report of the Exploring Expeditin to the Rocky Mountains in the Year 1842, and to Oregon and North California in the Years 1843-44 described the area and finding coal in what is believed to be Cumberland Gap, in August 1843:"
and Fremont said " In the afternoon we continued our road, and searching among the hills a few miles up the stream, and on the same bank, I discovered, among the alternate beds of coal and clay, a stratum of white indurated clay, containing very clear and beautiful impressions of vegetable remains. "

so that gives more details I guess

Old 01-29-2010, 11:14 AM

Good job! That is what I was looking for the Fremont expedition in 1843:

Quote:
Kemmerer, Wyoming (http://www.kemmerer.org/pccoalmine.php - broken link)
Six horsemen riding across the sagebrush plain stop for a short rest. Two of them dismount. The tallest, a thin, bearded man in a heavy cloth coat, pulls up his collar against the chilly wind. His companion, a stocky man in buckskins, loosens the straps of his saddle bag and retrieves a heavy canteen of water. The bearded man stares at the ground, then kicks a large black rock. It shatters on impact. He leans down and picks up a piece. "Coal," he announces smiling and hands it to his companion. Curious, they scan the area and find more coal amid the sagebrush. When they remount, the bearded man takes a notebook from his saddlebag and writes briefly. Then they resume their journey, riding toward the west and disappearing into the haze across the horizon.
Later, those reading the journals of John C. Fremont, who many called the Pathfinder of the West, would read of this episode. Fremont's chance discovery of coal near Kemmerer, Wyoming, in 1843.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 AM

What is the only U.S. military fort that was named for a Native American, where is it located, and what was the original name of the fort? Also, what famous grave sites are located at the fort?

Old 01-29-2010, 12:49 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,865,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
What is the only U.S. military fort that was named for a Native American, where is it located, and what was the original name of the fort? Also, what famous grave sites are located at the fort?
The Fort is Fort Washakie. It was originally named Camp Auger after General Christopher Auger when it was first established in 1869. Then in 1870 it was changed to Camp Brown after Capt. Fredrick Brown. Finally it was renamed yet again to Fort Washakie after Chief Washakie in 1878.

The graves located there are the graves of Chief Washakie and Lewis & Clark's famous indian guide Sacajawea.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: Sorry Capt. Ron about not getting around to answering your last question. I'm still busy trying to put my house back together after some minor remodeling. Hopefully most will be done by this weekend. If it's not then I'm moving out. LOL!!

Old 01-29-2010, 04:43 PM

No problem, I'm glad to hear you and Froggie Legs are OK. We all get busy at times, its just unusual to see no activity here for 3.5 days.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
The Fort is Fort Washakie. It was originally named Camp Auger after General Christopher Auger when it was first established in 1869. Then in 1870 it was changed to Camp Brown after Capt. Fredrick Brown. Finally it was renamed yet again to Fort Washakie after Chief Washakie in 1878.

The graves located there are the graves of Chief Washakie and Lewis & Clark's famous indian guide Sacajawea.
yep, that's the one

Old 01-30-2010, 04:58 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,865,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
yep, that's the one
Keeping with Chief Washakie here is my question.

Jim Bridger and Chief Washakie were good friends, but they were also related in some way. In what way were they related?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:27 PM

625 posts, read 1,884,913 times
Bridger became Washakie's son-in-law in 1850
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming