Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:26 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times

Advertisements

The Queen of England dropped in for a quick visit. It was the first time in her life that she was allowed to shop for herself. But I don't recall her staying other then to visit down town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:08 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The Queen of England dropped in for a quick visit. It was the first time in her life that she was allowed to shop for herself. But I don't recall her staying other then to visit down town.
Well, you are 1/2 correct.

While she was here she stayed out at the Wallop Ranch. Malcolm Wallop's sister is Lady Porchester and she is married to Lord Porchester who is Queen Elizabeth's racehorse trainer and long time friend. She stayed for a long weekend. She not only went shopping downtown and met the merchants at each store, she also took in some of the historic sites along the Bighorns. She purchased items mostly from the Ritz Sporting Goods Store and King's Saddlery.

I was able to get out of school the day she arrived and I watched her as she got off the Royal Jet at the Sheridan Airport. Unfortanately I wasn't able to be on Main street as she was shopping. I do remember though that they had up barracades to keep people back while she strolled down Main street. As she went by she shook hands with numerous people and waved at everyone.

I'll give it to you though and now it's your turn.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:21 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Well, you are 1/2 correct.

While she was here she stayed out at the Wallop Ranch. Malcolm Wallop's sister is Lady Porchester and she is married to Lord Porchester who is Queen Elizabeth's racehorse trainer and long time friend. She stayed for a long weekend. She not only went shopping downtown and met the merchants at each store, she also took in some of the historic sites along the Bighorns. She purchased items mostly from the Ritz Sporting Goods Store and King's Saddlery.

I was able to get out of school the day she arrived and I watched her as she got off the Royal Jet at the Sheridan Airport. Unfortanately I wasn't able to be on Main street as she was shopping. I do remember though that they had up barracades to keep people back while she strolled down Main street. As she went by she shook hands with numerous people and waved at everyone.

I'll give it to you though and now it's your turn.
Ahhhh, somebody beat me to the answer. I believe it's their turn.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Ahhhh, somebody beat me to the answer. I believe it's their turn.
I did not see that someone else posted before you.

Jkb826 It is actually your turn. Sorry about that!

Go ahead and ask away.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 PM

215 posts, read 667,857 times
Name the mountain man whose life ended in Powell and had a 1974 movie made about him?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,323 times
I'm going to guess Jim Bridger

Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 PM

no but nice guess

Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
John Wesley Powell, Powell, Wyoming's namesake.

Quote:
From 1867 Powell led a series of expeditions into the Rocky Mountains and around the Green and Colorado rivers. In 1869 he set out to explore the Colorado and the Grand Canyon. He gathered nine men, four boats and food for ten months and set out from Green River, Wyoming on May 24. Passing through dangerous rapids, the group passed down the Green River to its confluence with the Colorado River (then also known as the Grand River upriver from the junction), near present-day Moab, Utah. The expedition's route traveled through the Utah canyons of the Colorado River, which Powell described in his published diary as having
". . . wonderful features—carved walls, royal arches, glens, alcove gulches, mounds and monuments. From which of these features shall we select a name? We decide to call it Glen Canyon."

One man (Goodman) quit after the first month, and another three (Dunn and the Howland brothers) left at Separation Rapid in the third. This was just two days before the group reached the mouth of the Virgin River on August 30, after traversing almost 1,500 km. The latter three disappeared; historians have speculated they were killed by the Shivwitz band of the Northern Paiute.[3] How and why they died remains a mystery debated by Powell biographers. Some, including Jon Krakauer in his Under the Banner of Heaven, have raised the possibility of a Mormon ambush.

Powell retraced the route in 1871-1872 with another expedition, with such results as photographs (by John K. Hillers), an accurate map, and various papers. In planning this expedition, he employed the services of Jacob Hamblin, a Mormon missionary in southern Utah and northern Arizona, who had cultivated excellent relationships with Native Americans. Before setting out, Powell used Hamblin as a negotiator to ensure the safety of his expedition from local Indian groups. Powell believed they had killed the three men lost from his previous expedition.
Several movies have been made about him but I can't find one in 1974.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 PM

Well that is not the one I am looking for,

Should probably said he was a modern day mountain man as he was killed in 1939. If no one gets it by tomorrow I will give another question?

Old 01-24-2010, 07:13 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,323 times
Walter Earl Durand Earl Durand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

would never have guessed that (sorry if we are limited to only one guess ... I'm willing to forgo my turn to CptnRN, since that guess was a good one too!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming