Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 07:14 PM

380 posts, read 1,146,419 times

Advertisements

OK I don't know the answer so show proof!
When did Wyoming establish the game wardens/or Game and Fish ?
No wardens allowed; it could mean your badge!

IF you know your right ask away...but i'll be back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 11:30 AM

Default Question to hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claim Jumper View Post

Is this question to hard? Anyone working on getting the answer?
I tried to google this question but it did not show up.
That is why I thought it would be a good question to ask!

If you can't find the answer, please say so and I will ask another.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:37 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,865,274 times
Quote:

I believe the establishment of the WY fish and game was in 1895 or 1899 at least that is how I took it in this article.

Wyoming State Archives - Reference, Research and Historical Photographs (http://wyoarchives.state.wy.us/Research/Topics/SubTopic.asp?SubID=43&nav=29&homeID=3 - broken link)
Game and Fish Administrative History

Efforts to administer and control the hunting of game in Wyoming began with the territorial legislature in 1869. The “Act for the Protection of Game and Fish in the Territory of Wyoming” prohibited the killing of elk, deer, antelope, buffalo, and mountain sheep between March 1 and August 15. However, the act did allow people to kill these animals “to supply their own immediate wants.” Certain game birds were also protected for the same time period. The act further prohibited the ensnaring or trapping of trout. They could only be caught singly. The fine for violating any provisions of the law was $50.

Declining game populations led the 1875 legislature to strengthen the law. The protected season for elk, deer, antelope, and mountain sheep was extended, covering the period from January 15 to August 15. Animals could only be taken for food. Fines up to $500 could be assessed. Violators could also serve up to six months in jail. The law allowed informers to collect half the fine.
Territorial leaders also had concerns about diminishing fish populations. To address the issue the 1879 legislature provided for a fish commissioner, who would be responsible for stocking fish in Wyoming waters, particularly “the Laramie, North Platte, Green and Bear rivers, and their tributaries.” Further, the commissioner was required to publish notice of the streams and lakes that were stocked. Fishing in these waters was not allowed for three years after the publication of the notice. Henry B. Rumsey was appointed by Governor John W. Hoyt as the territory’s first fish commissioner.
The Third State Legislature, in 1895, broadened the responsibilities of the fish commissioner, who would serve as a game and fish warden, empowered to “enforce all laws relating to game and fish” and arrest violators. Furthermore, counties were authorized to appoint, at the county’s expense, game and fish wardens for the counties. The local wardens also had authority to arrest violators. Wardens were given the authority to seize illegally taken game and fish. Significant new laws were passed in 1899 as the state legislature continued to increase efforts to manage game and fish. The position of State Game Warden was created, a four-year appointment. Assistant wardens could be appointed as necessary.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:23 AM

I would have never thought it started that early in time-thanks
Your question your turn Wyoquilter

Old 12-27-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I would have never thought it started that early in time-thanks
Your question your turn Wyoquilter
I know it surprised me too that WY Fish and Game was established so soon.

Okay for my question:

Where can the world's largest herd of Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep be found during winter? When was this area established?

Old 12-28-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I know it surprised me too that WY Fish and Game was established so soon.

Okay for my question:

Where can the world's largest herd of Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep be found during winter? When was this area established?
Hint: The name of the town close by this area is French but it's not pronounced that way because folks in ID got mad.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:11 PM

Default Whiskey Basin

The world’s largest herd of Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep can be found wintering at Whiskey Basin/Little Red Creek Wildlife Habitat Management Area, near Dubois (pop. 962). The 12,181-acre area was established in 1954 to provide a winter range for the 1,200 wild sheep, whose rams bear distinctively curled horns.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
The world’s largest herd of Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep can be found wintering at Whiskey Basin/Little Red Creek Wildlife Habitat Management Area, near Dubois (pop. 962). The 12,181-acre area was established in 1954 to provide a winter range for the 1,200 wild sheep, whose rams bear distinctively curled horns.
You got it, and it looks like it's from the same source I got it from. We must be on the same page err I mean web page. LOL!! It's your turn to ask away.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:30 AM

South

Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 AM

Default South Pass City

South Pass City is known as the birthplace of women's suffrage.
What else was this town so famous for? It has a lot more value than the suffrage imo lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming