Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,108,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
In what year did coal begin to be commercially extracted in WY?
Commercial extraction began in 1869, shortly after the arrival of the Union Pacific Railroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 10:20 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,865,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Commercial extraction began in 1869, shortly after the arrival of the Union Pacific Railroad.
You are correct . Now it's your turn.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:01 PM

I had just read about that the other day. Still took me a bit to remember where I read it.

Ok, here's the next question:

The National Park Service closes some of the routes to the top of Devils Tower, a 1,267-foot monolith, each year between March and August. Why?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,259,937 times
They have a voluntary ban on climbing in June in honor of Native Americans who consider the tower sacred. If you hike around the tower during that month you'll often find offerings that Indians have left. Climbers aren't restricted from climbing, but they're asked not to during June each year.

They also close certain routes for nesting prairie falcons. That's probably the answer you're looking for....

Old 12-15-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
They have a voluntary ban on climbing in June in honor of Native Americans who consider the tower sacred. If you hike around the tower during that month you'll often find offerings that Indians have left. Climbers aren't restricted from climbing, but they're asked not to during June each year.

They also close certain routes for nesting prairie falcons. That's probably the answer you're looking for....
Not correct. March-August, only some routes. Good try.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:56 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,120,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

I came up with the same answers you did, and was sure you nailed it!

I don't have a clue.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:39 PM

It's a tough one so I'll spill it and ask a different one. And it's not easy to give a clue without giving it away.

The National Park Service closes some of the routes to the top of Devils Tower, a 1,267-foot monolith south of Hulett (pop. 408), each year between March and August to protect nesting prairie falcons. Researchers have found that the falcons sometimes abandon their nests when disturbed by rock climbers. Other times, the raptors go on the defensive, diving at climbers who come too close to their eggs or chicks.

Here's a new question:

Star Valley. Among the towns in the valley, which lies between the Salt River Range in western Wyoming and the Webster Range in eastern Idaho, are Afton (pop. 1,818), Alpine (pop. 550), and Thayne (pop. 341).

How did Star Valley get it's name?

Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,865,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
It's a tough one so I'll spill it and ask a different one. And it's not easy to give a clue without giving it away.

The National Park Service closes some of the routes to the top of Devils Tower, a 1,267-foot monolith south of Hulett (pop. 408), each year between March and August to protect nesting prairie falcons. Researchers have found that the falcons sometimes abandon their nests when disturbed by rock climbers. Other times, the raptors go on the defensive, diving at climbers who come too close to their eggs or chicks.

Here's a new question:

Star Valley. Among the towns in the valley, which lies between the Salt River Range in western Wyoming and the Webster Range in eastern Idaho, are Afton (pop. 1,818), Alpine (pop. 550), and Thayne (pop. 341).

How did Star Valley get it's name?
Hey WyoNewk gave that as an answer. It should be his turn.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,120,789 times
Quote:
I agree. The official Park Service website says:

"ROUTE CLOSURES FOR RAPTOR NESTING

Some routes are annually closed in order to protect nesting Prairie Falcons. Routes are frequently closed between March and July. During this time nesting activity will be monitored by park staff. Routes will be reopened if no nesting activity is identified by early summer. Climbing near raptor nests stresses the birds and often leads to chick death. Defensive raptor behavior is also potentially dangerous for climbers.
Please check for route closures when you register to climb. Rangers will strictly enforce these closures."

Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Absolutely correct. I had read the first part and went ahead and replied. Sorry, I didn't read the last line.

WyoNewk, it's your turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming