Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 03:13 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times

Advertisements

Who were the first two white American women to travel across Wyoming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:06 PM

278 posts, read 606,371 times
Would that be Narcissa Whitman and Eliza Spalding?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
It's good that you asked a new question. The Wyoming Trivia thread is about Wyoming, facts, history, locations, etc. But they need to be real.
Well then I boo-booed a ways back when I used the "set in a fictitious town in Wyoming" movie Continental Divide...as a question.

Will remember that in the future

Old 04-26-2010, 10:14 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Well then I boo-booed a ways back when I used the "set in a fictitious town in Wyoming" movie Continental Divide...as a question.

Will remember that in the future
Sorry, I didn't catch it, or thought it was based on a true story. The whole idea of the thread was for people to learn about Wyoming and it's history. Not so much on fictitious places and such.

But we're all still on track. If you've noticed, I haven't tried answering any lately, just been too blasted busy. I've made more trips into Montana in 1 week then most folks do in a year.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:08 AM

This is part of the information that I could find. But, I am not positive that these actually were the first women to travel across Wyoming.

"Narcissa Whitman was the wife of missionary Marcus Whitman. The missionary party consisting of Marcus and Narcissa Whitman, and Henry H and Eliza Spalding, and William H Gray, a lay aide, were traveling west along with Fitzpatrick’s supply caravan. Their ultimate destination was to establish a ministry to Indians in the Oregon Territory. Along with the supply caravan with whom they were traveling, they arrived at the Green River Rendezvous in July of 1836. These were the first white women to cross the continental divide."

Old 04-27-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poletop View Post
This is part of the information that I could find. But, I am not positive that these actually were the first women to travel across Wyoming.

"Narcissa Whitman was the wife of missionary Marcus Whitman. The missionary party consisting of Marcus and Narcissa Whitman, and Henry H and Eliza Spalding, and William H Gray, a lay aide, were traveling west along with Fitzpatrick’s supply caravan. Their ultimate destination was to establish a ministry to Indians in the Oregon Territory. Along with the supply caravan with whom they were traveling, they arrived at the Green River Rendezvous in July of 1836. These were the first white women to cross the continental divide."
You got it Poletop, sorry I was slow to confirm. This is the information I had.

Quote:
Many of the annual rendezvous were held in what is now Wyoming, most along the Upper Green River in the neighborhood of present-day Pinedale. At the 1835 rendezvous along the Green, Jim Bridger asked traveling doctor and missionary Marcus Whitman to remove an arrow point from his back. Bridger suffered the wound two years earlier in a skirmish with the Bannacks. Without the use of anesthesia, Whitman removed the offending arrow point, thus completing the first surgical operation in Wyoming history. Whitman went on to Oregon Territory where he established a mission. The next year, after returning to the East Coast via sailing ship around the tip of South America, the missionary returned west. This time, he was accompanied by his new bride, Narcissa. She and the wife of another missionary, Eliza Spaulding, became the first white American women to travel across Wyoming.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:35 PM

What was the name of the town that used to lie on the banks of the Sourth Fork of the Stinking Water River? This town established a post office April of 1891. The post office was discontinued in March of 1903.

Last edited by Poletop; 04-27-2010 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Edit: Removed Why?

Old 04-27-2010, 01:56 PM

The Stinking Water River is now called the Shoshone River. I'm guessing that there must have been a town displaced by the Buffalo Bill Reservoir when the Shoshone Dam was built. That project began in 1904, so the timing is about right. But I have not been able to find the name of a town.

Could it be Cody City?

I came across this quote below indicating that the original site of Cody was at the East end of the Shoshone canyon. Could it be that the original Cody post office had to be moved to accomodate the reservoir construction?

Quote:
The Colonel and several friends came to the area with the avowed purpose of land development and the building of a community. The original town site selected was located at the east end of the Shoshone Canyon, but was later moved to the present site of the city. At the insistence of Colonel Codys fellow developers, the site was named Cody in 1895. Streets were laid out and named for General Phil Sheridan and the originators of the community. By 1902, the town was incorporated and Colonel Cody opened his famous Hotel in the Rockies, the Irma, named after his youngest daughter.
Quote:
Cody, Wyoming's Old Town Trail is a collection of historical buildings and artifacts running along the Yellowstone Highway and marking the area originally surveyed by town founder Buffalo Bill.

Much of the Old Trail Town should be credited to archaeologist Bob Edgar who, after realizing that many of the historical buildings and relics were starting to disappear, gathered historical artefacts to be displayed on the West side of Cody. This was the area that Buffalo Bill originally surveyed as the first site for 'Cody City' in 1895. With sights as interesting as Curly's Cabin and John Johnston's grave the trail is a truly impressive re-creation of the original Cody. The largest collection of its kind in Wyoming it is absolutely unmissable for anyone visiting the area.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 PM

It wasn't Cody City. It was named after a person that the locals called "Uncle George"

Old 04-27-2010, 09:01 PM

This small ranching community of was settled years before Cody was founded. But it was the decision to build a massive dam that meant an end to this community, submerging the settlement under what is now the Buffalo Bill Reservoir, about 10 miles west of Cody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming