Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 PM

3,027 posts, read 11,621,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poletop View Post
Easy question
Two retired sharp-shooters and a would-be gunslinger team up to claim a $1,000 reward to kill two cowboys who brutally disfigured a prostitute. This movie was #4 on the American Film Institute’s top ten westerns.
Name the movie.
Name the actor and the name of the character he played.
Name the fictional town where the movie took place.
Kicker question: What award was won by the director of this movie, who happens to be the star of the movie?
Well, I know this question's been disqualified, but I thought I'd try a stab at answering anyway, since I think I know most of the answers (I cheated and looked at the movie case for the last two answers).

The movie is Unforgiven.
Clint Eastwood played the character of William Munny.
The fictional town was called "Big Whiskey."
Clint Eastwood won an Oscar for Best Director in 1992.
Unforgiven also won an Oscar the same year for best picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM

278 posts, read 607,627 times
Thanks JDavid. That movie ranks in my top 2 favorites, 2nd only to True Grit!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:23 PM

16,786 posts, read 49,261,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zearxx View Post
Alright in Wyoming...
Where were the record lake trout caught? (two different places that tied for first, name them both)
What other name does the lake trout have?

Records in Wyoming waters

Jackson Lake — The Wyoming record laker was taken here, 50 lbs., 46 inches, in 1983.

Flaming Gorge — Shares Wyoming state record, 50 lbs., 48 inches, girth 32 inches, caught in 1995.

Lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush) is a freshwater char living mainly in lakes in northern North America. Other names for it include mackinaw, lake char (or charr), touladi, togue, and grey trout.

The wiki says "Lake trout are the largest of the charrs, the record weighing almost 46.3 kg (102 lb)."

But another website says:
Quote:
http://www.utahoutdoors.com/pages/laketroutfacts.htm
Lake trout, also called mackinaw, grow pretty darn big. The world record was caught in 1991 in Great Bear Lake, Northwest Territories. It went 66 pounds, 8 ounces. (A 102 pound laker was taken in a gillnet in Lake Athabasca, Saskatchewan, in 1961.)

Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 PM

I'm pretty sure I got that answer so here is the next 2 part question:

One unusual Wyoming mountain could be called the fastest mountain on earth.
1. Which Mountain is it and tell us about its speed record.
2. The mountain has another unusual feature regarding is age, what is that?

Old 04-29-2010, 04:18 PM

The only mountain that comes to mind is Hart Mountain, just north of Cody.. Its origional location was presumed to be located near Cooke City Montana, about 40 miles away. "there was a huge slide about 50 million years ago", and the mountain along with other fragment slid to their present location. This was guestimated to have lasted 30 minutes.
"The Hart Mountain detatchment remains among the world's most puzzling geolocical structures".

What is unusual regarding its age is that the mountain is from 350 to 500 million years old, and it lies on top of the Willwood Formation, rocks that are about 55 million years old.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
The only mountain that comes to mind is Hart Mountain, just north of Cody.. Its origional location was presumed to be located near Cooke City Montana, about 40 miles away. "there was a huge slide about 50 million years ago", and the mountain along with other fragment slid to their present location. This was guestimated to have lasted 30 minutes.
"The Hart Mountain detatchment remains among the world's most puzzling geolocical structures".

What is unusual regarding its age is that the mountain is from 350 to 500 million years old, and it lies on top of the Willwood Formation, rocks that are about 55 million years old.
Very good and fast too! Even if the correct name is Heart Mountain.

Your turn!

The front of the slide may have advanced at speeds of 100 mph (see below).

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_Mountain_(Wyoming)

Heart Mountain is an 8,123-foot (2,476 m) peak just north of Cody in the U.S. state of Wyoming, sticking up from the floor of the Bighorn Basin. The mountain is composed of limestone and dolomite of Ordovician through Mississippian age (about 500 to 350 million years old), but it rests on the Willwood Formation, rocks that are only about 55 million years old—rock on the summit of Heart Mountain is thus almost 300 million years older than the rocks at the base. For over one hundred years geologists have tried to understand how these older rocks came to rest on much younger strata.

Between 50 and 48 million years ago a giant sheet of rock about 500 square miles (1,300 square kilometers) in area detached from the plateau south of the Beartooths and slid tens of kilometers to the southeast and south into the Bighorn and Absaroka Basins. This sheet, consisting of Ordovican through Mississippian carbonate rocks and overlying Absaroka volcanic rocks, was probably originally about 4-5 kilometers thick. Despite the slope being less than 2 degrees, the front of the landslide traveled at least 25 miles (40*km) and the slide mass ended up covering over 1,300 square miles (>3,400*km²). This is by far the largest rockslide known on land on the surface of the earth and is comparable in scale to some of the largest known submarine landslides.

Many models have been proposed to explain what caused this huge slab of rocks to start sliding and what allowed it to slide so far on such a low slope, fragmenting, thinning and extending as it went. Most geologists who have worked in the area agree that Absaroka volcanism played a role in the sliding and many suggest that a major volcanic or steam explosion initiated movement. Another model involves injection of numerous igneous dikes with the resulting heating of water within pores in rocks causing an increase in pressure which initiated sliding. Some geologists have suggested that hot pressurized water (hydrothermal fluids), derived from a volcano which sat north of Cooke City, Montana, effectively lubricated the sliding surface. Another possibility is that the once the slide was moving, friction heated the limestone along the sliding surface sufficiently to cause it to break down to calcium oxide and carbon dioxide gas (or supercritical fluid). The gas supported the slide in the way that air pressure supports a hovercraft, allowing the slide to move easily down the very low slope. When the rockslide stopped, the carbon dioxide cooled and recombined with calcium oxide to form the cement-like carbonate rock now found in the fault zone. The consensus favors catastrophic sliding and calculations suggest that the front of the sliding mass may have advanced at a speed of over 100 miles/hour (160*km/h).

Another site about it: Land Speed Record: Mountain Moves 62 Miles in 30 Minutes
Land Speed Record: Mountain Moves 62 Miles in 30 Minutes | LiveScience

Old 04-29-2010, 04:33 PM

22 posts, read 41,926 times
I'm in High School so if I ask a question on a weekday and you feel you got it right go ahead and ask another question because I'm probably at school and won't be able to confirm it until night, because of sports.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:41 PM

My first thought was Jackson Hole, with the new tram, possibly the fastest ski slope, then I thought about the fastest growing, or fastest eroding, then I remembered Heart Mountain... Excellent question!

Here is my next question..

This river is only 515 miles long. Its final destination is less than 100 miles from its headwaters, and it is the world’s longest river that does not flow into an ocean. What is this river that passes through Wyoming?

Old 04-29-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zearxx View Post
I'm in High School so if I ask a question on a weekday and you feel you got it right go ahead and ask another question because I'm probably at school and won't be able to confirm it until night, because of sports.
Good point. No on is hurt by a wrong answer, sometimes the way they are asked can result in more then one right answer. And there are things we can learn from wrong answers.

I generally try to allow 24 hours before I give a hint if no one responds to one of my questions, because people have different working hours and obligations, especially around holidays.

I'm glad to see more new people participating in this game.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
My first thought was Jackson Hole, with the new tram, possibly the fastest ski slope, then I thought about the fastest growing, or fastest eroding, then I remembered Heart Mountain... Excellent question!
Yes! It is really interesting the path one follows sometimes in looking for the correct answer. Like my hunch that the building of the Buffalo Bill Dam had something to do with the disappearance of or Marquette, Wyoming.

OK back to your next question:

This river is only 515 miles long. Its final destination is less than 100 miles from its headwaters, and it is the world’s longest river that does not flow into an ocean. What is this river that passes through Wyoming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming