Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 10:19 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,095,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Walter Earl Durand Earl Durand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

would never have guessed that (sorry if we are limited to only one guess ... I'm willing to forgo my turn to CptnRN, since that guess was a good one too!)
It looks like you found the right answer to me. I don't think there is any limit on guesses. I have made multiple guesses in the past.

Personally don't consider this guy a mountain man. A little late in the time frame for that. More like a hermit and criminal after reading that Wiki description of him. I can understand why many of the people in Powell walked out of the movie when it ran there.

The wiki, under "Mountain Man" gives this description:
Quote:
Mountain man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mountain men were trappers and explorers who roamed the North American Rocky Mountains from about 1810 to the early 1840s.
So even John Wesley Powell was a little late in the game, 1867 and later, but he was an explorer that charted unexplored areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 11:58 AM

215 posts, read 668,279 times
well that is what I was looking forward. And as far as I know there are no limits to guesses either.
Your turn Froggie Legs

Old 01-24-2010, 12:06 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,086,450 times
Just for the record, I don't think there is anything wrong with answering more then once. A lot of times, a person might guess and then realize, wait a minute, that can't be right. So they should be able to give it another go.

This is your thread, does everybody agree?

However, I and I'm sure others, wouldn't want to see:

What color is the sky? And somebody answers "Blue, green, white, grey, brown, yellow, bright, did I get it right?

Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 PM

Agreed!

Your turn Froggie Legs

Old 01-24-2010, 02:41 PM

215 posts, read 668,279 times
agreed

Old 01-24-2010, 04:38 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,175,458 times
Okay.. it's getting harder to come up with good trivia to stump everyone!

This Montana 7.1-7.3 magnitude earthquake effected neighboring Wyoming when it struck and was felt by approximately half the state. Though no deaths were noted in Wyoming, 28 people died in Montana and the quake did cause over eleven million dollars damage.

Name the area in Wyoming that was most effected by this earth quake, and name one geological result of the quake (geological meaning- something changed in the Wyoming landscape.) Also what was the date of this earth quake, and what name was given to the quake?

Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Okay.. it's getting harder to come up with good trivia to stump everyone!

This Montana 7.1-7.3 magnitude earthquake effected neighboring Wyoming when it struck and was felt by approximately half the state. Though no deaths were noted in Wyoming, 28 people died in Montana and the quake did cause over eleven million dollars damage.

Name the area in Wyoming that was most effected by this earth quake, and name one geological result of the quake (geological meaning- something changed in the Wyoming landscape.) Also what was the date of this earth quake, and what name was given to the quake?
Earthquake of August 18, 1959, Hebgen Lake, Montana. The magnitude 7.1 earthquake killed 28 people and caused 11 million property damage. [GROUND DEFORMATION-SLUMPING] A section of Highway 287 has crumbled into Hebgen Lake. Landslides, submersion, cracking, and shifting of the roadway made the road impassable for a distance of nearly 58 km. Over 200 vacationers were trapped in Madison Canyon when the earthquake destroyed whole sections of highway. Timber and road damage were estimated at 11 million.

Active geysers in Yellowstone National Park mysteriously changed eruption times, and new ones began to erupt.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:11 PM

Wyoming
Quote:
The magnitude 7.1 earthquake centered near Hebgen Lake, Montana, occurred just before midnight on August 17, 1959. At least 28 persons died, and over \$11 million damage resulted. In Yellowstone National Park, about 18,000 people were vacationing. No one was killed or badly injured, although huge boulders smashed down onto roads and buildings in the park were shaken noticeably and did sustain some minor damage. The well-known thermal features of the park were disrupted by the tremor. Old Faithful's eruptions slowed slightly from an average 61-minute cycle to 65 minutes. Other geysers changed eruption times, new ones began to erupt, and many bubbling springs burst into violent activity. The earthquake was felt over one-half of Wyoming, an area included within a diagonal running from southwest to northeast. Minor felt reports were received from Casper and from Hat Creek, near the Nebraska State line.
I could not find a name for it unless it was Hebgen Lake, but did find these:

more photos U.S. Geological Survey Photographic Library

Old 01-24-2010, 05:12 PM

ElkHunter beat me by 9 seconds LOL Way to go ElkHunter!

It took me that long to post photos.

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-24-2010 at 05:40 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
ElkHunter beat me by 9 seconds LOL Way to go ElkHunter!

It took me that long to post photos.
What's the old saying? You snooze you loose. I thought about posting pictures and then decided not to because it would take too long. Glad I didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming