Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 04:25 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Sounds like you worked on this one a lot harder then I did, I'd be happy and honored to give you this one.
I didn't work that hard. I just thought it was interesting how 3 of us all came up with different answers and one of them was one I was pondering. I remember reading a while back about a gun company in Freedom and it was the first one to come to mind when I was looking for the answer, but after I read that article about the company I decided that it may not be the right answer. My answer was one of the first names to come up when I googled WY firearms company. EH's answer also came up as a possibility, but I went with the answer I gave because I was able to find the name of the cartridge right off without having to do a bunch work.

I can't wait to see which one of us is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 07:30 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Could this be the answer?

Company Name: Linebaugh Custom Sixuns
Located: Cody, WY
Founder: John Linebaugh
Cartridge name: .475 Linebaugh Cartridge
That's not the one I was thinking of. It looks like they are a gunsmith shop, not a manufacturer, at least from what I could tell.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I'll give it a shot.

Wyoming Arms
Thermopolis is where they were. Now defunct.
Wm Parker.
Couldn't find the name of the cartridge.
EH, that's also not the one I had in mind. Keep guessing!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
How odd, I just came across that web page yesterday when I was looking for information on the town of Freedom.

.454 Casull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is the name of the company? Freedom Arms

Where are they located? Freedom Arms is a Freedom, Wyoming-based firearm manufacturing company, known for producing powerful single-action revolvers. The company was founded in 1983 by Dick Casull to produce a revolver chambered in the powerful .454 Casull chambering.

Who is the founder? The .454 Casull (pronounced Ka-Sool) is a firearm cartridge, developed in 1957 by Dick Casull and Jack Fulmer.

What is the cartridge that is named for the founder? .454 Casull
We have a winner! I came across the information the same way, so I though, why not give it a try? I thought it might be too easy considering the prior question. I didn't expect so many different answers. Your turn, CptnRn!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you worked on this one a lot harder then I did, I'd be happy and honored to give you this one. I just stumbled across my answer and really didn't have to work for it. That website you linked to had a lot more information about the company then anything I was aware of.
Like CptnRn, I found a webpage with only a small amount of info about the company while researching the town of Freedom. It was from that webpage that I took the info I used for the question. I thought it would make a good trivia question, even if it was too easy after the prior question. Wyoquilter's article cited different info than what I found online, so there is some discrepancy about which is correct. I apologize if the info used to form the questions was inaccurate.

edit: This was the website I used to find the information for the questions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Arms

edit 2: This website offers more detail about the formation of the company. It seems Wikipedia is incorrect in this case.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n27963924/

Last edited by jdavid93225; 10-09-2009 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 10-10-2009, 09:05 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Who was the first and only women hung in Wyoming, who hung her and why?

Old 10-10-2009, 12:13 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Who was the first and only women hung in Wyoming, who hung her and why?
Ella Watson - aka Cattle Kate. Hung by a lynch mob of 6 or more men. She run a house of ill repute and it was thought that she was taken stolen cattle as payment for her services. No stolen cattle were ever found.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Close enough.

A long and very detailed 4 page account of this story is here Cattle Kate - A Mystery Lynching - Page 4 (http://www.legendsofamerica.com/WE-CattleKate4.html - broken link) The following is a much shorter version of the story.

Ellen Watson was the first and only women hanged in Wyoming. Ellen and her husband, James Averell, established homesteads next to the Sweetwater River, which angered neighboring ranchers who felt the land belonged to them, even though they had no legal claim to it. After Ellen bought and rebranded several cattle from a drover who was driving them through the area, 6 of the neighboring ranchers (Albert John Bothwell, M. Earnest McLean, Robert “Captain” M. Galbraith, John Henry Durbin, Robert Conner, and Tom Sun), members of the Wyoming Stock Growers Association, took it upon themselves to arrest and hang Ellen and James. At that time the Wyoming Stock Growers Association was the official law enforcement agency for the Wyoming cattle industry.

Charges were later brought against the 6 ranchers, but all of the witnesses either disappeared or were killed. The charges were eventually dropped and Albert John Bothwell ended up acquiring the Ellen Watson and James Averell homesteads, and moved his house there.

Wyoming newspapers, who sided with the Wyoming Stock Growers Association, wrote several articles disparaging Ellen Watson's character, claiming she was a prostitute, in an effort to discredit concerns about the hangings. They named her "Cattle Kate" claiming she required customers pay her with unbranded calves. There is no evidence that she ever was a prostitute.

These hangings were one of many events that lead to the Johnson County War in 1892.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Ella Watson - aka Cattle Kate. Hung by a lynch mob of 6 or more men. She run a house of ill repute and it was thought that she was taken stolen cattle as payment for her services. No stolen cattle were ever found.
In defense of Cattle Kate I would like to emphasis this part:

Quote:
Wyoming newspapers, who sided with the Wyoming Stock Growers Association, wrote several articles disparaging Ellen Watson's character, claiming she was a prostitute, in an effort to discredit concerns about the hangings. They named her "Cattle Kate" claiming she required customers pay her with unbranded calves. There is no evidence that she ever was a prostitute.
Detailed accounts of her life here Cattle Kate - A Mystery Lynching state:

Quote:
She found employment at a boarding house called the “Rawlins House” as a cook and domestic for about two years. Watson has often been misidentified as a prostitute because the Rawlins House was erroneously thought to have been a brothel.
Stories about her being a prostitute and Jim being her pimp and murderous paramour were promoted by newspapers that were in the pockets of the Wyoming Stock Growers Association, in an effort to disarm public concern over the hanging.

Her husband Jim was postmaster and Justice of the Peace in the small community they founded along the Sweetwater River, near Devil's Gate and the Oregon Trail and Mormon Trails. In addition to homesteading he had started a general store and tavern on his land. They lived on their homesteads from 1886 to 1889 (Jim had owned his since 1883) before friction with the Wyoming Stock Growers Association ranchers resulted in their death.

Jim incurred the wrath of the Wyoming Stock Growers Association by writing numerous letters to the Casper newspaper about how unfair and biased the Wyoming laws were in favor of a small handful of existing powerful ranchers. The laws essentially locked out newer homesteaders from obtaining legal brands and allowed existing ranchers to walk away with any unbranded calves from homesteaders cattle.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:14 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
My reference, a book by Brian Day, says "Cattle Kate and her boyfriend, James Averell were hanged by a lynch mov of six or more men because they believed to be accepting stolen cattle. The vigilantes admitted to the crime of taking the law into their own hands. No stolen cattle were evident, nor was any other proof of crime available. All participants were arrested, but released on five thousand dollar bonds. None of the men were ever brought to trial. Kattle Kate's ranch was located about three miles from Independence Rock."

It never mentions names but the way it's written, they knew who they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming