Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 09:16 PM

380 posts, read 1,146,200 times

Advertisements

ok 2 easy its your turn ElkHunter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,091,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claim Jumper View Post
ok 2 easy its your turn ElkHunter
It was only easy because i live 20 miles from there.

One of the oldest in the United States, but the oldest west of the Mississippi, Polo club is located where? When was it established?

Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,102,856 times
Big Horn Polo Club, Sheridan Wyoming, Established in 1898
Quote:
Wyoming Polo
The Big Horn Polo Club is the oldest polo club west of the Mississippi and has been active since the Calvary days of the old west. Although most cowboys were riding the range on quarter horses, the US Calvary preferred the huge heart and comfortable ride of the American Thoroughbred. Since thoroughbreds are the popular choice of most polo players, it was only natural that these military men would create a polo field out in the middle of the wild, wild west to play the sport of kings!

Old 10-21-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Big Horn Polo Club, Sheridan Wyoming, Established in 1898
You are correct. Just a few miles from Fort Phil Kearney. Your turn!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:01 PM

What is this, where is it found and what is its major use?

Old 10-21-2009, 04:37 PM

Trona, Green River formation and some parts of California. Used as primary source of sodium carbonate.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 PM

Wink penny anny

That is a penny and its used to spend? The thing its on is a kool rock!
I would not go so far as to say a penny has any major uses! unless of course you got a whole lot of them.
Pennies are found just about everywhere including Wyoming

Last edited by Claim Jumper; 10-21-2009 at 07:36 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 08:02 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,251,349 times
Darn it Claim Jumper, you beat me to the punch with the wise-cracking.

I've heard that pennies can be used to replace fuses. Actually, what I've heard is that you shouldn't, so I'd guess that means at least one person must have tried it at some point. Duhhhhhhhhhhh

If you could pick up a penny every fours seconds, you could make $9/hour. That's better than minimum wage! Most people won't pick up a penny, but you still don't find many on the ground. And I hate having pennies in my pocket, so you're not apt to find any there.

Oh! Now I remember. You get them from cashiers. If you're lucky, they have a penny dish so you don't have to put the pennies in your pocket.

There's half the answer. We still don't know what they're used for.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:28 PM

Default two winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claim Jumper View Post
That is a penny and its used to spend? The thing its on is a kool rock!
I would not go so far as to say a penny has any major uses! unless of course you got a whole lot of them.
Pennies are found just about everywhere including Wyoming
can we have 2 winners? cause you know i am right too!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:53 AM

Ha Ha very funny. Technically you are both right but ElkHunter posted the first correct response. Very good ElkHunter, I thought that would be a hard one to figure out unless you had some experience with trona mining. How did you figure it out?

Claim Jumper you get the Second Place Ribbon as well as the belly laugh award. Very funny!

Wyoming’s mineral commodities include coal, natural gas, coalbed methane, crude oil, uranium, and trona.

Wyoming possesses the largest known reserve of trona in the world. Trona is used for manufacturing glass, paper, soaps, baking soda, water softeners, and pharmaceuticals. In 2008 Wyoming produced 46 million short tons (41.7 million metric tons) of trona, 25% of the world's production.

Trona (trisodium hydrogendicarbonate dihydrate); Na3H(CO3)2·2H2O is an evaporite mineral. It is mined as the primary source of sodium carbonate in the United States, where it has replaced the Solvay process used in most of the rest of the world for sodium carbonate production. The trona near Green River, Wyoming is the largest known deposit in the world and lies in layered evaporite deposits from 800 to 1,600 feet (240 to 490*m) below ground, where the trona was deposited in a lake during the Paleogene period.

The manufacture of glass is the most important use of sodium carbonate. When combined with sand (SiO2) and calcium carbonate (CaCO3) and heated to very high temperatures, then cooled very rapidly, glass is produced. This type of glass is known as soda lime glass.

Fuses: I remember when I was a kid some of the old houses we lived in had the round screw in type fuses. And yes if a fuse blew and you didn't have a replacement on hand it was common for people to put a penny in the hole to bridge the contacts and screw the bad fuse in on top of it to hold it in place. It was not safe because you then had an unprotected circuit that could overheat if you overloaded it, so most people only did it as a temporary fix.

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-22-2009 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming