Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 11:14 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,804 times

Advertisements

Congrats BYE BYE!!!!! WHEEEE!!!! OHHHH Jan, I SO understand your feelings about making wonderful new friends. The 1st 2 years I was so busy w/ my renovations that I really didn't make many friends (lots of aquantainces)...plus...I wasn't here all the time. This summer I made DEAR friends!!!!! It really adds to the experience! I live on a beautiful old (restored) farm w/ 2.7 acres and PUD's were not my style yet I feel more 'a part of a community' than I ever did in Fl. By the way!!!!!!! YIPPEEEEEE!!!!! There is a FREEZE WARNING for tonite!!! I have my central heat cranked up, lots of vintage quilts, 2 fabulous fireplaces and lots of goose down! Living here is EVERYTHING I ever dreamed of and so much more! Stay warm WNC friends and stay cool...lol...fl and az friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 02:22 PM

168 posts, read 691,512 times
Jan, saw our first white squirrel today! We took the kids to "Grandad's Apples" to pick out carving pumpkins and get some delicious NC apples and honey and took "the long way" home to sightsee a bit. We also stopped at my son's school to take his picture next to the sign to send to his friends in his old school in Florida and as we got back into the van, my husband spotted it on the lowest branch of a nearby tree!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:34 PM

758 posts, read 2,287,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Anyway, hubby and I would NEVER consider living in one of those PUD's - I hate the "gestapo" mentality (and fees!) of those HOA's - we are creative individuals and don't like anyone telling us what to do! . . . However, we were lucky to find our little diamond in the rough in Kenilworth Forest, right behind the Asheville mall. . . . All my neighbors here are very friendly and helpful, and they all look out for one another - it's a real community! . . . ~gypsy~
Thanks, gypsychic! You and the others here have helped to turn our shoulders back in the right direction. Our immediate plan is to get involved in our major interests and see how those interests dictate where our home should be (our original plan, now revived). Today, for example, we found that it took 40 minutes to get to the Basilica from Hendersonville using Highway 25 (not the freeways). Next time we'll time it using the freeways. If it's still half an hour or so of driving, it's too far from our home. Once we determine by this method the area we want to live in, it will be time to think about which developments are in that area and which individual homes are for sale there as well--and then compare the options. At that point we will revisit certain threads!!!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
My best friend is in Baghdad. When he left, his HOA refused to let him rent or sublet his home. Nor was he allowed to leave it empty. He had no choice but to sell it. It is unbelievable that people would treat those Americans serving over seas that way, but they didn't care. . . . No, I will never go near a community with HOA or similar Gestapo rulers.
WOW.Thanks for enlightening us, Father John. What a sad example.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:45 PM

485 posts, read 561,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Thanks, gypsychic! You and the others here have helped to turn our shoulders back in the right direction. Our immediate plan is to get involved in our major interests and see how those interests dictate where our home should be (our original plan, now revived). Today, for example, we found that it took 40 minutes to get to the Basilica from Hendersonville using Highway 25 (not the freeways). Next time we'll time it using the freeways. If it's still half an hour or so of driving, it's too far from our home. Once we determine by this method the area we want to live in, it will be time to think about which developments are in that area and which individual homes are for sale there as well--and then compare the options. At that point we will revisit certain threads!!!
I love all the research you are doing, Jan. It is SOOOO helpful!

I feel like a relay runner about 3 miles behind you... If you ever slow down, we might catch up to you.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
HOAs, in my experience.

My best friend is in Baghdad. When he left, his HOA refused to let him rent or sublet his home. Nor was he allowed to leave it empty. He had no choice but to sell it. It is unbelievable that people would treat those Americans serving over seas that way, but they didn't care.

No, I will never go near a community with HOA or similar Gestapo rulers.
I wonder if anyone sees the irony that we have an American fighting for the freedoms for the people of Iraq, while he clearly is having his freedoms as an American trampled by a committee of his so called neighbors.

I agree, only fools will willingly sign away their rights under these HOA agreements, which are ruled by a bunch of busy body neighbors, and lord help you if you ever **** one of them off. Sounds like life in some communist country doesn't it, North Korea comes to mind right off.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
. . . I live on a beautiful old (restored) farm w/ 2.7 acres . . . By the way!!!!!!! YIPPEEEEEE!!!!! There is a FREEZE WARNING for tonite!!! I have my central heat cranked up, lots of vintage quilts, 2 fabulous fireplaces and lots of goose down!. . .
So what will you do if someday your electricity goes out? Huddle by the gas fireplace with those quilts and down blankets? I've been wondering what folks in these mountains do at a time like that--drive around with the car heater on high??--LOL

Old 10-28-2007, 07:39 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Quote:
So what will you do if someday your electricity goes out? Huddle by the gas fireplace with those quilts and down blankets? I've been wondering what folks in these mountains do at a time like that--drive around with the car heater on high??--LOL
Many mountain area homes have backup power generators to use while the power company is out repairing weather related outages. Some mountain top developments lose city water too, since axillary pumps are need to push the water up the mountain sides in some areas. The risk of power outages just depends on the homesite location.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMTN View Post
Father John, HOA covenants have teeth and can be inforced by law. That's the very reason people should read and understand them prior to buying in such a community. On the other hand, the BOD cannot change them without a proper vote of the members as outlined in the covenants. If they try you can challenge them and you will win every time.

Roger
Yes, that is true about the covenants we are (recently) familiar with: the BOD can't simply "reinvent" themselves without a proper vote of the members. Unfortunately, the members may suffer from the same kind of "apathy" disorder we all heard about in high school. Which means, in practice, that the BOD can simply "reinvent" themselves and perpetuate rules as they wish.... ... or am I mistaken here??

Old 10-28-2007, 09:27 PM

485 posts, read 561,281 times
Quote:
Yes, that is true about the covenants we are (recently) familiar with: the BOD can't simply "reinvent" themselves without a proper vote of the members. Unfortunately, the members may suffer from the same kind of "apathy" disorder we all heard about in high school. Which means, in practice, that the BOD can simply "reinvent" themselves and perpetuate rules as they wish.... ... or am I mistaken here??
You are absolutely right, Jan. That is exactly what happened to my Dad in his HOA in Florida. Some scheduling of votes when winter visitors were up North and some slight of hand in wording of by-laws changes and they suddenly went from limited terms to indefinite rule with a previously non-existent iron fist. That is why so many homes in that neighborhood are for sale. And why my dad can't get 75% of his home's valuation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina